It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men and women's brains, they are different. Naw?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Men and women's brains, they are different. Naw?

www.independent.co.uk... 8.html

A pioneering study has shown for the first time that the brains of men and women are wired up differently which could explain some of the stereotypical differences in male and female behaviour, scientists have said.

Researchers found that many of the connections in a typical male brain run between the front and the back of the same side of the brain, whereas in women the connections are more likely to run from side to side between the left and right hemispheres of the brain.

This difference in the way the nerve connections in the brain are “hardwired” occurs during adolescence when many of the secondary sexual characteristics such as facial hair in men and breasts in women develop under the influence of sex hormones, the study found.

The researchers believe the physical differences between the two sexes in the way the brain is hardwired could play an important role in understanding why men are in general better at spatial tasks involving muscle control while women are better at verbal tasks involving memory and intuition.

Men and women's brains are
wired
differently?

Who would that thunk it?

Because the female connections link the left hemisphere, which is associated with logical thinking, with the right, which is linked with intuition, this could help to explain why women tend to do better than men at intuitive tasks, she added.

Intuitive, huh?

I don't believe that anymore.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Of course men and women's brains are wired differently.

There are differences in the sexes, women are better at some thing a than men and vice versa.

Sadly we live in a time where political correctness seeks to discourage and homogenize our differences,

Instead we should all be embracing and celebrating these differences not denying they exist in general.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Instead we should all be embracing and celebrating these differences

I agree

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I wonder if this rings true for the LGBT crowd?

And do hormonal treatments alter the wiring? Or suppress any of it?

This opens up so many questions!

]\"
"7777777777

(That last part was typed by my cat)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

It certainly does open a bunch of questions.

"7777777777

must have been communicating with me, smart cat
edit on 103131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Excellent question, but like differences in the sexes that is a topic that carries the same stigma.

Research in lbgt brain differences is almost taboo as saying men and women are better at different things.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Research in lbgt brain differences is almost taboo

I think I would want to know,

this,

or instance, one theory of autism, which is affects about five times as many boys as girls, is that it is a manifestation of the “extreme male brain”, which is denoted by a failure to be able to show empathy towards others.

The latest study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, showed that the differences in the male and female “connectomes” develop during at the same age of onset of the gender differences seen in psychological tests.

The only part of the brain where right-left connectivity was greater in men than in women was in the cerebellum, an evolutionary ancient part of the brain that is linked with motor control.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Tsu322
]\"
"7777777777

Couldn't agree more.

So, Men from Mars, Woman from Venus holds water?

I agree, celebrate the differences

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Some links:
www.livescience.com - Men and Women Really Do Think Differently...
www.cosmosmagazine.com - Brains of liberals and conservatives differ...
www.scientificamerican.com - Strange but True: Testosterone Alone Does Not Cause Violence...
www.sciencedaily.com - Autism Affects Different Parts of the Brain in Women and Men...

"One of our new findings is that females with autism show neuroanatomical 'masculinization'," said Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, senior author of the paper. "This may implicate physiological mechanisms that drive sexual dimorphism, such as prenatal sex hormones and sex-linked genetic mechanisms."

edit on 3-12-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I do think there are a lot of differences between us all.

Men are better at spacial tasks like inventing. Women are better at grasping complex social issues. Gay men are better at seeing it and saying it as it is, and lesbians are better at putting creativity into action outside the box.

We could probably save our futures if we used all of our qualities together instead of hating. I would want all of them on my side. And all the shades of grey in between.

I wonder what a bisexual peoples wiring is like? I bet it's like spaghetti junction in there!

I also think we should celebrate our differences. And talk about things more so they are less taboo in the long run.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

a left-handed bisexuals people is here.

the brain is not so pasghetti.

just misunderstood.

S+F

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

When I said spaghetti junction I was refering to the left to right and back to front wiring, I hope you didn't think I meant chaos.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think in some cases these "differences" that're seen between different groups of people - whether gender or political or religious or you name it - are more the result of childhood development and/or social conditioning than genetics. For example, I think culture traditionally tended to not hold a high social standard for males, especially early on. I mean, what toys do they give boys? Plastic guns, army men, erector sets and other crafting toys. What do they give girls? Dolls and tea sets and pretty clothes and cooking toys. The main difference I see there is PLASTIC GUNS and ARMY MEN. It shows society culturally engenders boys to be more aggressive and competitive, traits that're oftentimes anti-social. I'm a male and I've often enjoyed competitive or even violent-seeming games. As I was growing up, I noted that my need for intensity and aggression in games was much higher than my sister. Why're there so many games with combat? Again, I think it's culturally engrained in us. And btw I've tried to play non-violent or non-competitive games and it's not fun. It all boils down to me needing conflict in games to feel motivated to play.

Consistent related thoughts over a long period of time change our brain. Figuring out whether it's genetics or environment can be tricky, I think.
edit on 3-12-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Spaghetti Junction

"Spaghetti Junction" is a nickname sometimes given to a complicated or massively intertwined road traffic interchange that resembles a plate of spaghetti.

Okay so that makes perfect sense now.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Surely it's more complex than just saying "men and women have different brains. End of story." Not saying anyone has said that, but knowing this forum it's only a matter of time.

Whether one denies the (probably tenuous at best) correlations or obsesses over them enough to the point of sexual essentialism, we're gunna have a bad time.

I tend to view the "PC Gone Mad" perspective through a skeptical lens because, frankly, it's an excuse for laziness in many cases.

In this case specifically, one may assume that another is or isn't capable of a certain task simply because of their sex. You know, like those ladies who don't want you folding their clothes at the checkout because you're "a clueless man" or those old men who explain the intricate bylaws of snooker to you because you're a woman... even though you're actually semi-pro.

So yeah, these kinds of studies are interesting, but what we do with the information can have tragic results.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

benrl
Sadly we live in a time where political correctness seeks to discourage and homogenize our differences,

Instead we should all be embracing and celebrating these differences not denying they exist in general.

This. This times infinity. We are wired differently, and pardon the pun, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out, just simple observation of the sexes. And the lines indeed blur when the attributes bleed over into homosexual or intersexed (or whatever more PC description there is) but it still shows that the wiring is different, and that that difference in wiring has different results.

I'm so sick of Political Correctness squalshing anything of merit because some insecure little person somewhere doesn't like what their personal interpretation of the data means. Newsflash: It doesn't make a woman inferior to a man in some situations, nor does it work vice versa. It means that we have different ways of approaching things, and some angles of approach may get something done with more efficiency. That does not equate to inferiority. If you think this, you are part of the perceived inequality problem & perpetrating it. We all have something to offer life on this planet and we all have a different way of presenting it. If we work together, we're all parts in the machine, and no part is any less important because it takes all of them in cooperation to run. So in the longrun, my intuitive reasoning, and Joe Schmoe's spatial reasoning can mutually benefit each other and make a long trip ridiculously, pleasantly short. Apply this to industry, and you have a recipe for some really well-oiled workers (head out of the gutter, folks) The catch is to recognize these innate strengths for what they are, and utilize them for our betterment overall. To sit there & scream that it's BS because we're all humans and all humans are exactly the same upstairs is not only flat out ignorant all around, but stifling to progression.

Get with the program, homogeneity does not celebrate individuality. it kills it.

(I'm not being overt in being fed up with PCness, am I?
)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Of course there is a difference between the two sexes....generally speaking men think with only one "head" *cough *down there*cough* lol

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Tsu322

I wonder what a bisexual peoples wiring is like?

Bisexual, ambidextrous, Asperger's, female.

Tsu322
I bet it's like spaghetti junction in there!

I concur.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Tsu322

I wonder what a bisexual peoples wiring is like?

If the person is male, and has a bisexual preference, let's assume they have male hardwiriing.

If person is female, and the same as above, assume female wiring.

If person is gay and bisexual, then you have a can of spaghetti.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join