It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Satellite Crossing The Sun

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
ATS has changed.
It makes me sad.

Learn to feel again instead of trying to 'consume all the knowledge.'

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
lol how can a telescope focusing on the sun have a low earth orbiting satellite in view. That is just the height of illogical ideas. First off it wouldnt even be remotely in focus and even if it was it would take up the entire field of view. Do you have any idea how much zoom you would need to get that much resolution of the sun??

Its something we dont understand...Jesus are we that full of our own ego as a species that we cant just say " dam we dont know " Common sense tells me unless this telescope was on Mercury that is NOT a satellite.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Urantia1111
Its a lens flare, a dead pixil, some dust in the camera, an "artifact", a glitch, a hoax, anything BUT an unidentified real physical object. Just like all other mysterious images of stuff in space, none of it is real. Anything that can't be explained away in prosaic terms is by definition fake.

You forgot to say........It's a rock!

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

TiM3LoRd
lol how can a telescope focusing on the sun have a low earth orbiting satellite in view. That is just the height of illogical ideas. First off it wouldnt even be remotely in focus and even if it was it would take up the entire field of view. Do you have any idea how much zoom you would need to get that much resolution of the sun??

Its something we dont understand...Jesus are we that full of our own ego as a species that we cant just say " dam we dont know " Common sense tells me unless this telescope was on Mercury that is NOT a satellite.

The have been several pictures taken of the Space Station, Space Shuttle, and other satellites crossing in front of the Sun. There are some photographers who -- knowing the exact orbit of the space station or space shuttle -- had calculated when it would pass in between the Sun and their camera and took pictures.

Plus, why would they be so large? When I see the dot of a satellite in my sky at night, it appears smaller that the Sun appears. The same thing with the space station. Why would it suddenly appear relatively bigger than the sun when I look at both through a telescope? If I looked at them both through a telescope, they would BOTH magnify at the same rate, thus both having the same size relation to each other (i.e., the Sun will always be "X" times larger than a satellite, no matter the magnification)?

Focus would not be an issue, because both the Sun and the satellite in Earth orbit would be far enough from the camera that the camera focus would be set on "infinity".

I already posted an example of such a photo in this thread, but I'll post it again, with some others examples:

The Space Station and Space Shuttle Endeavor docked with it:

The Space Station and Space Shuttle Discovery in 2007:
Image Source

Here is one of the Chinese Space Station "Tiangong-1" (along with some sunspots) taken in May of 2012
Image Source

edit on 12/4/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
My initial thoughts are ,

if it was a balloon wouldn't they have simply been able to go outside and see if a balloon was passing by if of course they observed this in real time ! that would be a simple solution

Astronomer " hey dave , see this go outside and see if you can see anything in front of the lens"

My second thought is if it was a balloon you would see it move into view gradually not suddenly appear and half way across the image view then proceed to move 1 degree to the side

my third thought if its a balloon then why is it show the other way around , are we looking at images upside down through telescopes relative to the observer ?

4. if its a satellite then surely someone somewhere will be able to confirm its existence unless of course its classified

however all of the above considered it still doesn't explain why it suddenly appears in the view screen

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

sapien82
...4. if its a satellite then surely someone somewhere will be able to confirm its existence unless of course its classified...

Correct. Someone could go through the investigation to see which satellite was passing between the Sun and the camera at that time and from that position. It could be done, if someone had all of the data and was able to calculate those things (as can websites such as heavens-above.com).

However, as you pointed out, not all satellites have known locations. Some (belonging to various governments) are classified.

..however all of the above considered it still doesn't explain why it suddenly appears in the view screen

But it does not suddenly appear out of nowhere.

The object is visible in the very first frame of that film (although the film is looped). There is no part of that film when the object is not visible.

It seems like the filming started when the object was already part way across the Sun, but I'm guessing the astronomer was surprised to see the satellite, and quickly hit the 'record' button on the camera after he noticed it.

edit on 12/4/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

NewAgeMan
reply to post by skyblueworld

It looks like it's appearing from nowhere as if it's coming out of the sun.. weird.

you are the fouth person saying that. and i ask myself..why ????

When you see a gif of a person on a bike and the first image is "THE PERSON ON A BIKE"..do you also say:" wow..it suddenly appeared from nowhere"???????????????

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Maybe someone observing the UFO through their scope just caught a fleeting glimpse in the corner of their eye and after this UFO in question had traversed partially in front of their field of view,they then pressed the record button and that is why the UFO seems to just materialize out of no ware, seems like the most logical hypothetical hypothesis that i could come up with given the limited evidence to work with.

But then again it could just be a rock!

Soylent Green Is People 2 posts up thank you

It seems like the filming started when the object was already part way across the Sun, but I'm guessing the astronomer was surprised to see the satellite, and quickly hit the 'record' button on the camera after he noticed it.

edit on 4-12-2013 by Ghostcooler because: Giving Soylent Green Is People credit

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Wonder how come no one has figured it out - its weather balloon.

That has to be some fast camera... but satellite can be anywhere between sun and telescope, and based on size, it has to be closer to telescope...

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

can yo find a picture of one that design? No solar panels, no cubes, no cones, just a round thing with a smaller round thing sticking out the end of a thin boom. Unless it looks like that it is not it and we are back to square one. You can't just say "well it could be anything" without providing an example of exactly what it looks like. There are no shortcuts, either it looks exactly like this object or it doesn't.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

bottleslingguy
reply to post by intrptr

what kind of terrestrial telescope can see that kind of detail on the sun?

Here is one amateur who can with a back yard telescope (albeit with a big back yard telescope):

It's the sun, as viewed from a back garden in High Wycombe: Amateur astronomer captures solar streaks in incredible detail

Here is another from an amateur:
Marvelous Solar Images

And the guy in the OP wasn't even an amateur.

edit on 12/3/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

ok so we've answered that, thanks. now can we identify this one? let's leave out the "well it kinda looks like this one because they were both launched into space." examples. I should probably be reading more of the thread before reading comments to me. anyway thanks again for answering my question.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It's the alien spacecraft that was hiding inside comet Ison. When the ice crystals broke away upon approach to the sun it was set free.

Sounds as good as any other ideas here.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

TiM3LoRd
lol how can a telescope focusing on the sun have a low earth orbiting satellite in view. That is just the height of illogical ideas. First off it wouldn't even be remotely in focus and even if it was it would take up the entire field of view. Do you have any idea how much zoom you would need to get that much resolution of the sun??

Wow, how can someone who has been on ATS since 2006 make such a presumptuous, unfounded and uneducated statement when just the opposite is a basic and fundamental, established fact, repeatable and understood by photographers and astronomers... and when so many perfectly evident examples of the opposite have been presented on this thread? What a destructive thing to do, to state as fact something you have absolutely no idea about. I cannot begin to fathom your motive.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

yeah I'm guilty of the "instant professional on all subjects" attitude myself. I started going down that road and checked myself before you know what....

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

rickymouse
Looks like something that was created when the cat ate some dental floss.

It appears to have something sticking out of it, I have no clue what it is.

I'm sorry did my cat leave that on your carpet too. She got into the bathroom trash again. She just thinks it's string.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

Nothing goes up that we don't know about. Cant keep the sky a secret. Sorry want to try again.?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by skyblueworld

For those who can't see it, the "arm" is coming out the top on the left side of the object, and goes quite a ways "up".

I do not know at what part of the sun the telescope is looking at, but could the angle make it look like the boom is pointing down instead of directly horizontal to the object?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The object was reported to be moving East across the Sun. We see that it moves from left to right in the video. This indicates that the image has been rectified to show North at the top, like a common map. If this were a balloon, I would expect the tether holding the instrument package to be hanging at some angle below the equator of the Sun, depending on the Sun's position in the sky. The tether should be South of the East-West line, not North-North-West, as it appears to be.
It was reported that the object moved at the rate of 1 degree per second. The video (slowed down) shows the passage of 36 milliseconds (36/1000 of a second). .036 x 3600 arc seconds (1 degree) equals 130 arc seconds. We see that the object moved about 3 times its diameter in the video. 130/3= 43 arc seconds, which should be the approximate apparent diameter of the main body of the object.
In order to get a reasonable size for a satellite of this apparent size, it must be quite near Earth. About 135 feet in diameter at 125 miles altitude, 270 feet at 250 miles out, 540 feet at 500 miles from Earth, and so on. The mast would have to be about 1.6 times longer than this.
I concur with what others have said; if a spindly boom can been seen, why are the rectangular outlines of the solar panels, used by virtually all satellites in the vicinity of the Earth, not seen? Are they seen edge on, and so are mistaken for a boom? This is unlikely. Very few orientations would produce this effect, while very many would allow us to see the solar panels, all, or in part. In any case, shouldn't solar panels be oriented with their broad side facing the Sun?

edit on 4-12-2013 by Ross 54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2013 by Ross 54 because: corrected and added information

edit on 4-12-2013 by Ross 54 because: improved grammar

edit on 4-12-2013 by Ross 54 because: improved clarity

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

Nothing goes up that we don't know about. Cant keep the sky a secret. Sorry want to try again.?

There are certainly satellites in classified or secret orbits. Many spy satellites have the ability to maneuver to new locations while in orbit.

Granted, it is likely that the U.S., Russia, and maybe China have the ability to track the locations of even these secret satellites, but I doubt those countries would freely announce the orbital location of their spy satellites to countries such as North Korea.

So yeah -- in that respect there are secret satellites whose orbits are not public knowledge.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

skyblueworld
Taken by Richard Schmidt on December 1, 2013 @ Burleith Observatory, Washington, DC.

Details:

While imaging sunspots we observed a fast-moving satellite with a long boom arm crossing the field of view. This sequence spans 36 milliseconds of real time. The object was moving East at 1 degree per second. Lunt LS100 solar telescope.

When I try to click on view EXIF data it comes up unavailable

Camera Used: Unavailable Unavailable
Exposure Time: Unavailable
Aperture: Unavailable
ISO: Unavailable
Date Taken: Unavailable

Link to source on spaceweather.com

Long boom arm? I do see something though.

Can ATS solve this case?

I'm don't really have a clue what it is, but neither does the Burleith Observatory.....yet.

Well... I'm no astrophysicist or anything, but it looks to me like either this thing materialized out of nowhere, or it came Out of the sun. Per the large boom off the 'top' - who knows...

I'm getting to a point where my wild conspiratory mind is reminding me of Stargate Universe. Those of you that have seen it... Consider, maybe ISON is a 'Destiny' equivalent - alien ship, recharges on its pass by ( or through? ) the sun. We got ousted an hour of ISON's pass around the sun by NASA - so I don't know that anyone can say that it actually went Around; and not through... This particular bit is just massive speculation, but if a super-advanced alien race were going to say... Raid earth for resources on their pass by, I suppose it would stand to reason that they would want to fill up before they did it.

*shrug*

Good post, S&F. Cheers, and eyes up!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join