It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Satellite Crossing The Sun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
All I see is a satellite crossing the sun.

Did I miss something?

You know that LOTS of satellites are "unknown", since the US, Russia, Chinese, or whoever have many military satellites which are classified and no-one knows anything about them?

I don't *think* this one is in particular "big"...respective don't see anything mysterious about it whatsoever. Probably a Russian satellite.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

Could it be Mercury?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Ross 54
The Burleith Observatory in Washington DC is a real astronomical observatory, registered with the Astrophysics Data System maintained by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and NASA. I find a number of reports filed by this observatory in this data system. They all bear the name R.E. Schmidt, which is, I assume, the same person as Richard Schmidt who reported on his observation of this mysterious object on Dec. 1st. He filed this report with Space Weather.com, which is a legitimate, science based astronomy site on the web.
adsabs.harvard.edu...
www.spaceweather.com...
edit on 3-12-2013 by Ross 54 because: added additional link

It really isn't that mysterious. It's just a satellite in orbit around Earth, and it moved between the camera and the Sun. People have photographed satellites, the space shuttle, and the Space Station moving in front of the Sun before.

Granted, they may not know which satellite it is (which technically makes it "unknown"), but it looks exactly like a satellite with a boom on it.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

skyblueworld

Maybe it is comet ISON, or what is left of it, or maybe it was really a space ship!?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

jaws1975
This picture proves my point, imagine zooming in on the above picture, what do you think would happen? The ISS would get larger as well, now if you zoomed in to the point of where the op picture is how big do you think the ISS would be? It probably wouldn't even fit on the screen.

This seems to be pretty common sense, and I'm not that smart, so can any amueter astronomers weigh in here so we can stop talking about earth orbit satellite's?

I'll post that picture again here for reference and in response to your post:

The ISS in that picture is only in low earth orbit. That orbit is usually only about 250 miles up. The satellite in the video could be at a medium-earth orbit (average about 12,000 miles up), or in high-Earth orbit, which could be as high as 23,000 miles (almost 10 times farther away than the ISS).

Therefore, the satellite would look smaller. Not only that, most satellites are tiny compared to the ISS. Look at that picture of the ISS in front of the Sun that I posted above. That tiny black part in the middle between the solar panels is the Space Shuttle Endeavor docked with the station. Now imagine that most satellites would fit very easily within the cargo bay of the space shuttle (with room to spare).

Considering all that, plus considering the satellite in the video may be in orbit much farther from the camera than the ISS is in my picture, I think the object in the video could easily be an earth-orbiting satellite.

edit on 12/3/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Mystery Solved!! ....not really, we need more info.

Since there is little data on the gif, I estimated that it is a asynchronous orbit science satellite (Satellite orbit link). From the outline and mission of those types of satellites, it is a goes class satellite.

This satellite orbits approx 4k-6k miles from the Earth from my rough estimate using guestimates on the sunspot sizes.

Edit-Simple math IMO. If we have the sunspot size in the gif, should be able to pinpoint which satellite it is. Also need the complete photo in a non gif format so the diameter thingy can be more precise.
edit on 3-12-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above

edit on 3-12-2013 by ChuckNasty because: added the bold dramatics

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

bottleslingguy

DenyObfuscation
reply to post by tsingtao

it has to be big to see it against the sun.

I'm not so sure about that

the view in the op is a million times closer note the detail on the surface of the sun. your comparison is apples to oranges. not even close.

And Sats are much smaller than an airliner, and also much further away then a plane flying over. It is hard to tell what altitude this plane is at. I live in the country and nearby airliners decending to JFK (and im in NE PA) are flying just off to the side of my house, you can see and hear them, but still going 500mph and pretty high up. I watched my sisters plane fly in from CA a few years back (had the planes gps on my laptop pulled up) and I would see the color and even make out little dots to be windows. Now I see sats crossing over most clear nights as well, and they are a tiny light dot. Almost can't see them. This could easily be a satellite in the OP.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

what kind of terrestrial telescope can see that kind of detail on the sun?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

I don't think you can get that view of the sun from a terrestrial telescope. anyone?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

bottleslingguy
reply to post by intrptr

Guessing the Lunt LS100 solar telescope...

It was in the link. Tech in a bitch sometimes right?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

bottleslingguy
reply to post by 0bserver1

I don't think you can get that view of the sun from a terrestrial telescope. anyone?

The link was posted earlier.. Check out the product screenies...omg, I want one.

linky to a 5k wonder

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

ChuckNasty
From the outline and mission of those types of satellites, it is a goes class satellite.

upload.wikimedia.org...

really? you think that looks like it?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

bottleslingguy
reply to post by intrptr

Here is one amateur who can with a back yard telescope (albeit with a big back yard telescope):

It's the sun, as viewed from a back garden in High Wycombe: Amateur astronomer captures solar streaks in incredible detail

Here is another from an amateur:
Marvelous Solar Images

And the guy in the OP wasn't even an amateur.

edit on 12/3/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

bottleslingguy

ChuckNasty
From the outline and mission of those types of satellites, it is a goes class satellite.

upload.wikimedia.org...

really? you think that looks like it?

Like mentioned before, it was a guess. One can make out another boom looking thingy about 1/4 the size of the long one...just like in that picture. I have zero knowledge of what satellites are, but from the calculations I made - that one fit the description. The Gif broken down screen by screen with carryover artifacts removed, I see this style satellite. Maybe I'm too bored tonight?

So yes - Really...I think it looks like that pic...but that one pictured was decommissioned a decade ago I believe.

-CN

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

My phone doesn't do edits well.

The panels are likely cooling panels, not solar. So it may explain why the panel isn't focused on solar juice, but perpendicular to it.

The boom contained a decay battery...maybe. Really have limited knowledge on satellites.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

intrptr

Its a satellite. The nuclear battery is out at the end of the boom. The boom arm puts distance between the battery and the onboard instruments to prevent interference from ionizing radiation emitted by the battery.

I saw a satellite transit the moon thru my telescope once. It hard solar panels though, not a nuclear power source.

Usually, satellites bound for the outer reaches of the Solar system utilize nuclear power sources because the suns energy is to weak to power solar cells.

Why this one is orbiting earth with a nuclear battery is…

classified, probably.

The only satellites with an RGT that is in Earth orbit that uses the boom design are the Transit satellites.

I was thinking maybe NuSTAR it uses a boom to seperate the sensors from the electrical equipment.

Now the transit satellites are in a polar orbit at 600 miles while NuSTAR is also at 600 miles but at a 6 degree inclation now maybe some one who is better at video analysis and orbital trajectories than me might be able to figure out with one it is.
edit on 4-12-2013 by BGTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation
reply to post by tsingtao

it has to be big to see it against the sun.

I'm not so sure about that

true, i guess i missed the part about it being from a ground based telescope.

but that plane is how far away from the tele?

if it were ground based, then that thing would be in the earth's atmosphere?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

BGTM90

intrptr

Its a satellite. The nuclear battery is out at the end of the boom. The boom arm puts distance between the battery and the onboard instruments to prevent interference from ionizing radiation emitted by the battery.

I saw a satellite transit the moon thru my telescope once. It hard solar panels though, not a nuclear power source.

Usually, satellites bound for the outer reaches of the Solar system utilize nuclear power sources because the suns energy is to weak to power solar cells.

Why this one is orbiting earth with a nuclear battery is…

classified, probably.

We're all gonna get snuffed.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Never mind scratch my last post. The picture of the ISS transiting that sun got me thinking why can't we see the solar panels on the satellite? If a thin boom is visable than why not the solar panels. Then I thought maybe they where derectly in front or behind but solar panels should have their flat side parallel to the suns surface. So I no longer think this is a satellite. This is what I think it is.

A high altitude balloon with scientific instrumentation suspended by a cable. Now telescopes flip the image so the balloon appears to be on the bottom but it is really on top. Now I took a screen shoot and made the cable and smaller object attached more pronounced because it was hard to see and pixelated but then I flipped horizontally and vertically and I have to say it does look like a balloon.

What do you guys think?

edit on 4-12-2013 by BGTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
On the OP's link to spaceweathergallery.com there is a comment by sergio82 beneath the image in the comment section. He says that he also has caught this satellite orbiting the sun a few weeks prior.

Now, if this Sergio is the same Sergio Castillo who has posted a pic of the sun on the spaceweather.com site page here (second pic down) then we may have a chance of tying the two events together and making some more headway. Whats more, if it is something odd, then we may be able to get hold of the two videos that Sergio took those 2 weeks before the Burleith Observatory, Washington, DC one.

Has anyone emailed this Richard Schmidt guy to see if he has found out anything about it yet?
edit on 4 Dec 2013 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join