It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind-blowing portrait of Morgan Freeman

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I call fake. The details are just too good. I blew up both pictures
and looked the the minute detail and it is just too perfect.

If this is real I can't believe it took only two hundred hours.
It would take that long to count the individual hairs. And every single
hair is represented in the "artist's" rendering that I can see...

nope...not buying it

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Also your image is Amazing! COOL!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

I disagree, I do not believe this to be fake there are minute differences but they are slight, now I didnt count individual hairs and am not going to say there wasnt technological help with things (outside of course it was done on an ipad) I have seen things like this done before I have a friend that can and will draw paint or sculpt almost anything photorealistic digital, oil, or stone, pencil and his work is almost undistinguishable from his subjective matter only my friend studies from life and hires models and uses inanimate objects. I am also an artist and have done work that is similar to photorealism only I know the mistakes I have made in those pieces. The deal with the ipad and tech media is you and indiscriminatley edit and can completely erase a mistake you dont have to rework with what you have. Kyle Lamberts work on a Rhianna piece is also super realistic similar video but shows a bit more of the process, just because it is amazing doesnt make it a hoax.
edit on 3-12-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

oh i think the program, procreate, that he's using must have textures that mimic skin and lip and hair textures, as well.

Z Brush will do that for you also. Even though I have programs for making photo realistic images, Maya, Max, Photoshop and Poser, it's really not me doing the work, it's the programs. Now when I was painting in oils, it was 100% my ability to produce the painting and not a computer programs.

Digital artists produce some unbelievably realistic work and there is no doubt that it has its place in the world of art. However, if the artist has used the original photo of Morgan via layers and then used it to paint the same image, it's just a copy showing his ability to manipulate the program. Now his other work which was actually painted on objects brings out his full true talent. And with all due respect, it is outstanding.
edit on 12/3/2013 by pstrron because: grammer

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

i did a painting of david bowie as the goblin king, and was accused by the owner of the gallery where i posted it, of just smudging a photograph lol in digital art, you run that risk of having accusations of that nature. in my case, i just used gaussian blur and the smudge tool to meld colors of the paint strokes together like a traditional artist would do with water . i blurred his hair alot to depict its puffiness and the many highlights off the top layer of his hair, this resulted in it looking like i just took a smudge tool to the actual photo of him and smeared the colors around. that was not what i did, nor was it my intention to make it look that way. i'm just not very good at using digital programs. i have never used layers and instead opted to use the selection tool to isolate areas i wanted to change. mind you, i was trying to digital art, on an old paint shop program without a tablet, and using the old style of mouse (no laser mice back then). it was very slow and tedious and terribly imprecise.

whereas the artist who painted morgan is just very good at what he does, has all the best gadgets and knows how to use them incredibly well. that level of talent, dedication and training, should never be viewed darkly.

edit on 4-12-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The guy has talent and a lot of patience. It's the artist and not the tool. I'd say it's definitely real, and although he's not tracing, he is using a reference image. You're seeing a sped-up time lapse of a digital paint, but likely not showing all the tools. From his perspective there's probably more than one brush and the ability to pan around and zoom in and out.

I occasionally go to a website called iScribble which is similar in functionality to this tablet app, with the caveat of making art simultaneously with multiple users. It's a Flash-based paint chat, which is bare-bones in terms of tools when compared to full fledged digital painting programs like Photoshop, Sai, or Painter. It seems about 90% of the people there are kids just goofing around, but then there's this 10% which is mostly older artists (not always though) that bring another level of dedication. Some, like the time-lapse in this video, produce a level of quality comparable to that of the image which they reference their works upon. It's not done all in one go though, sometimes a project will take weeks or months. It's saved and occasionally added to later on.

If not interested in the social aspect, some other sites also have paint apps without the chat. DeviantArt's Muro is probably well known enough and will replay a paint session, and some Joomla based sites have an add-on called Fla#ool, there's also two or three Facebook apps for this if so inclined.

So yeah, it's real. It's impressive what some people can do with simple tools and a bit of dedication. And if you want to experience similar on your computer, look up various paint chats and sometimes you'll be surprised by artists with a similar level of ability.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
awesome work indeed. not fake at all,just a very good artist and modern painting tools.

SMR

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Not sure how he made it look like he painted it, but he did not 'replicate' the original with his finger on an iPad. If he painted this then he is really good because he got EVERY HAIR the same way as in the original 'PHOTO'

ORIGINAL

KYLE (FAKE)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

I think most people are not aware of the technology available today and the skill of an artist...

www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'm a bit doubtful myself. Not becuse of the result but from the time lapse showing his methodology. He paints in a rough back ground then starts placing colors for the face. At no time does he do a rough outline of the head or facial features to check placement or proportions.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I just did an A/B overlay in PhotoBlend 3D. There are differences. I have no idea how one would fake the video. Those are the steps to take to get the result shown.

I hope this demonstration makes more people aware of minutia. It seems to me that people who are only concerned with the big picture are just barreling through life.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This isn't a painting - it's computer art. A painting is done with a brush, mixing/blending colors, and takes an entirely different set of skills. This looks like a snapshot so maybe it doesn't appeal to my own artistic tastes (want to see someone as they look through the artists eyes rather than how good they can replicate the exact way they would look if you took a picture). It sounds like it takes a great deal of work though so good job to whoever did it.

Morgan Freeman is the most wanted voice of all time by the way - they did some sort of survey and found his voice to be soothing and attractive to people above all others for documentaries. Just thought I would throw that in.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Is this a joke? he draw Morgan Freeman on a iPad ? this cant be real. I know artists whom have being using Drawing tablets had issues on drawing perfectly. But for this artist to draw Morgan Freeman on Ipad just seem to far fetched for my liking.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Now here is the interesting part to think about

Let's say the original photo is copyrighted and its owner has a reputation for aggressively defending his work in court.

Now let's say a digital artist likes the original copyrighted photo but wants to remake the exact same photo using a finger paint or photoshop and a wacom tablet or whatever

And the artist's skill is such that he can duplicate the copyrighted photo from scratch no copy/paste no stealing he just perfectly recreates the photo with his own skill from scratch.

Now the artist has a photo he created from scratch which he sells on his site under his copyright
The photographer has same image he sells on his site under his copyright

Would the photographer win in court

And for a brain twister let's say I purchase a print from the photographer and I get permission to scan and display it on my website
So let's say the artist attempts to sue for infringing/pirating his work,when in fact you purchased from the photographer.

This would be a mess to deal with under our broken copyright system I'd think.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Hey ATS it is possible artists are amazing. I mean I cant draw more then a stick figure or anything but have seen it before. I play alot of video games and digital art is super awesome

cant believe you guys cannot see the artist or the pic is toned slightly different the original photo is actually darker in skin tone then the art it is slight the left eye is also slight along with morgans nose hair on the right nostral the eyes are not concentric neither is the light source there obvious is the rest of it is a bit off. HMMMM, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. not a fraud
edit on 5-12-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

also like to ad that all magazine photos are also digitally enhanced for those that are more astute then me that may have forgot this remember I cant draw a stick figure to save my life
edit on 5-12-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
it just rocks, c'mon now Arken it staring you right in the face.

ROCKS!!!

ETA: I think its fake
edit on 5/12/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Dianec
This isn't a painting - it's computer art. A painting is done with a brush, mixing/blending colors, and takes an entirely different set of skills.

I don't find the methods much different, except for the mess.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

the video we are seeing isn't what the actual painter did, but rather the exact inputs strung together and compiled, then "played".

i do not believe that this is real. one does not simply paint something like this without making a time lapse of the actual painting procedure.

it is far too perfect.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Bob Sholtz
it is far too perfect.

When I did an A/B overlay, I noticed tiny differences in the mole shapes, hair waves, and highlights.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join