It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Made Earthquake in Seattle 12/2/13... PROOF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This topic has been brought up here on ATS time and time again. There are many theories regarding tectonic manipulation scattered throughout the Fragile Earth topic section, as well as the conspiracy based topic sections which discuss everything from HAARP, fracking, CME's, comets (and their tails), and even as far fetched as some rougue planet of doom lingering close by, yet out of view.... You know.... Imaginary celestial bodies n stuff??

Well, tonight I was invited over to watch some Monday Night Football with some friends. Having been a football fan for almost my entire life and living in the great Northwest, the game tonight was a big one for us, as our home team Seattle Seahawks, the number one team by record in the NFL at present, hosted the New Orleans Saints, one of three teams in a tie for the second best record, as well as our foremost obstacle towards clinching our top spot towards the playoffs and hopefully The SuperBowl to take place in New York this February.

The interesting thing here is that our fans (aka the 12th Man) are known as some of the loudest fans in the league. This noise causes troubles for visiting teams, as it gets to such a level that the opposing teams offenses have a particularly difficult time communicating with one another on the field. So tonight, for the second time this year we decided to take things to a new level....

Our fans actually attempted and succeeded at breaking a Guinness world for stadium crowd noise. The attempt was successful and registered in at 137.6 decibles.... Which is pretty darn deafening..... Pretty awesome if you ask me...

Needless to say, there came a certain play in the game where our team forced a turnover of the ball and our defense ran in for a touchdown. The crowd ROARED, jumping in their seats with excitement.... It was at this moment that a University of Washington seismology lab, located approximately one block away from the stadium recorded a quake registering between 1 and 2 on the graphs.

We here in the Northwest have a name for this phoneme, as it has happened during one other recorded instance (ironically against the very same team in 2011). We call it BEASTQUAKE... BEASTQUAKE happens when a player on our team, known as the running back consumes copious amounts of skittles and runs through, over, under, and around his opponents resulting in a touchdown along with a crowd responses that creates resonance in the ground.

One must wonder if, since we sit on a fault line that is supposedly way overdue, could we in fact trigger an even larger quake with our fanatical displays of fandom? Who knows.... All I know is that we made a quake here in the Northwest tonight. And for that, we can be proud....

Posting from my mobile and can't embed the link properly. If a mod could aid with that, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks for reading, and GO HAWKS!!

Link to story Here-----------> m.kirotv.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I didn't see anything on the link to read

So you're saying fans screaming, roaring cause earthquakes?
I don't think loudness or decibels are recorded as seismic. Are they all stomping? Doubt that would do it either

What Guinness record was broken? Loudest nfl fans or for any and all sporting events? Concerts?
I bet British football fans are louder.

I don't see this being proof of anything. It's silly.
I think you're just a proud fan of the Seahawks.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by forall2see

It has happened before. It is just the mass of a lot of people jumping at the same place. Especially at festivals, concerts and dance events where peepz tend to jump in rhythm.

That is why moving dance events, with a lot of trucks like a parade try to skip bridges or put the music down on the bridge. For the same reason the army doesn't march on a bridge.

Its a lot of fun and makes people feel connected but its not special imo
edit on 3-12-2013 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Sounds to me like you people need to Seattle down up there.
Before the ground opens up and you become the Seattle Swallows.

edit on 3-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
There is only one way: Ban mass sports events.

They only serve to dumb down the population and now we know they cause earthquakes, too.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

In this weekly series, Life's Little Mysteries provides expert answers to challenging questions.

There are roughly 7 billion people on Earth, with a total weight of approximately 800 billion pounds (363 billion kg). What if we all jumped at once?

Because people are spread somewhat equally around the planet's spherical surface , if we all jumped in place, nothing much would happen — all our lift-offs and impacts would cancel each other out, resulting in zero net force on the Earth, according to work by physicist Rhett Allain.

So let's imagine that everyone could congregate together in one place. Doing so would probably make it easier to synchronize our jump anyway.

Using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, Allain, a physicist at the University of Southeastern Louisiana and blogger at Dot Physics, calculated what would happen to the 6-trillion-trillion-kilogram Earth under these circumstances. For simplicity's sake, he assumed the average human could jump one foot (30 cm) high and that we'd all be jumping from exactly the same point.

To cut to the chase, Allain found that our jump would push on the Earth ever so slightly, giving it a recoil speed of 2.6 x 10^-13 m/s. That is, in one second, Earth would move about a hundredth of the radius of a single hydrogen atom .

It's not so much, but would the infinitesimally small recoil last forever? Would we have permanently changed the course of the Earth? Allain says no.

"After all the people jump they would 'fall' back down — move towards the Earth. During this time, the Earth would move back up. All would be as it once was," he told Life's Little Mysteries.

The situation is much like two objects of very different masses connected by a spring. If you pull the masses apart and then let go, the force of the spring pulls them back together. The smaller mass moves much more than the larger mass, but both move. The Earth and the people are much like these two masses, Allain explained, except that "in this case, the spring is like gravity."

LiveScience

edit on 3-12-2013 by skyblueworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

The crowd ROARED, jumping in their seats with excitement.... It was at this moment that a University of Washington seismology lab, located approximately one block away from the stadium recorded a quake registering between 1 and 2 on the graphs.

Same thing sometimes happens down in Baton Rouge when the LSU Tigers are playing...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Yes, the fans screaming.... According to UW seismology, are what caused the quake.

"After setting a Guinness World Record for noise at an outdoor stadium in September, CenturyLink Field went seismic during Monday Night Football, registering as an earthquake at a recording station about a block from the stadium.

How big, you ask?

In the magnitude 1-to-2 range, according to John Vidale, a professor at the University of Washington and the director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network.

Vidale said his staff recorded five separate seismic events during Seattle's 34-7 pasting of New Orleans -- a match-up of two of the NFL's top teams.

The most intense episode came late in the first quarter, when Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett returned a Saints fumble 22 yards for a touchdown.

Seattle fans did this once before. In 2011, a Marshawn Lynch touchdown shook the earthquake recording station too.

And in 1988, college fans at Louisiana State University rocked the bayou in a come-from-behind victory over 4th-ranked Auburn, registering on the campus seismograph

The record was worldwide (Guinness), and taken as the loudest stadium roar.

And yes, I do like me some football

Hopefully the Link works now."
edit on 12/3/2013 by forall2see because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Well it was time to unleash the beast.
I was wondering if the new record had been set.

I was watching on tv both times it was truly awesome.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Ahh... Controlled News Network also has a story. This is nation wide folks! No "Grey Area" here

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Dumbass

It has happened before. It is just the mass of a lot of people jumping at the same place. Especially at festivals, concerts and dance events where peepz tend to jump in rhythm.

That is why moving dance events, with a lot of trucks like a parade try to skip bridges or put the music down on the bridge. For the same reason the army doesn't march on a bridge.

Its a lot of fun and makes people feel connected but its not special imo
edit on 3-12-2013 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

Yet this was recorded as an actual earthquake. www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Once in a while you read about happenings that are registered as an earthquake. As it is completely logical you don't hear much about them. It is just enough mass causing motion. The same how you sometimes can feel your house shaking due to a passing truck.

But as an example foo-fighters-concert-causes-minor-earthquake-in- new-zealand

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

New Zealand as we know, is prone to quakes as well. The professer mentioned in the article, John Vidale is also a member here on ATS, or has been from what I recall. I'll look through some of Puterman and Westcoasts threads to find him and see if he can share his two bits for us here.

I wonder if these people quakes are more common atop ground that is prone to earthquake activity. Or, could that simply be due to the fact that there is potentially a larger concentration of the meters over these more active zones. What we know so far is that 70,000 to 100,000 people could in fact trigger a seismic event.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

edit on 3-12-2013 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

With songs like this I am not surprised: www.youtube.com...
It sounds like one of the old video games I used to play way back, I think it was "Red Alert". Its catchy and I don't know if it has any air-time as of yet.

Cheers,
Gards

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

violet
So you're saying fans screaming, roaring cause earthquakes?
I don't think loudness or decibels are recorded as seismic. Are they all stomping? Doubt that would do it either

Well, you doubt wrong, fella. Ye of little faith. The yelling and stomping caused between a 1-2 earthquake, period. Other answers on the thread have provided sufficient documentation. I have attended a Seahawks game in Seattle and can attest to the loudness of fans. It actually HURTS to be there. If I ever go again, I'm taking the same set of ear muffs I take to the gun range, which electronically reduces the noise. Of course, unless someone buys me a ticket, I'm unlikely to attend, though I live within walking distance of the stadium.

136.6 decibels is louder than a jet engine, just short of a shotgun blast, and is labeled as painful acoustic trauma. Frankly, as a quiet man, I don't really care for the noise. It's a lot easier to watch a game on TV where you can see the whole thing rather than be stuck in the middle of a bunch of obnoxious screaming fans where seeing the action at the far end of the field is just about impossible.

I thought this game would be a nail-biter. It wasn't. Go Seahawks*.

* A "seahawk" is otherwise known as an osprey, a fairly large hawk that frequents the wild rivers of Washington and Oregon. When it catches a fish, unlike other raptors, it carries the fish head to tail aerodynamically rather than longitudinally, side to side, while it rips the fish to shreds as it flies back to its nest. I've seen this happen while on a rover rafting trip.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

forall2see
reply to post by Dumbass

New Zealand as we know, is prone to quakes as well. The professer mentioned in the article, John Vidale is also a member here on ATS, or has been from what I recall. I'll look through some of Puterman and Westcoasts threads to find him and see if he can share his two bits for us here.

I wonder if these people quakes are more common atop ground that is prone to earthquake activity. Or, could that simply be due to the fact that there is potentially a larger concentration of the meters over these more active zones. What we know so far is that 70,000 to 100,000 people could in fact trigger a seismic event.

Is the seismic event causing any tectonic plates to shift? To cause an actual quake or tremor.
I can see it might register if the seismic monitors are close by.

I'll have to check in on a Seahawks game to hear this. I don't watch football, don't understand it. When do they play on home turf next? I get Seattle stations.

Anyways it's interesting to learn this.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Violet - The Seahawks do not play at home again until they destroy the Cardinals on December 22nd. We'll be on the road for the next 2 games (we - like I have anything to do with it )

Edited to add: And I really doubt that the tectonic plates are shifting - the noise is just registering on local seismic monitors. Still pretty cool though!

Anyway, I have been a Washington resident for all but 3 of my nearly 49 years. I have been to Seahawks games in the Kingdome, in Husky stadium while the current Clink (Century Link stadium) was being built and also in the Clink itself. I can abso-frikken-lutely attest to the noise that us Seahawks fans can generate. You will literally be deaf (as well as unable to speak) from all of the yelling.

The road to Superbowl XLVIII (48) will definitely be going through Seattle this year!

Go Hawks!

edit on 3-12-2013 by tallcool1 because: because

new topics

top topics

join