It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Magazine "Person of the Year" public poll... Miley Cyrus?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
So no one remembers how this poll was subverted last time (was recent anyway)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I disliked that freak of a woman.... But if you actually get beyond your negativity...she's not that bad.

To have the balls to say 'F the Mainstream' and make money with that is a sign of talent.

Exhibit A:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
What has Time magazine become? There is a thread on here about hero's who rescued a guy from an air bubble in a boat that had been under water for 60 hours (they didn't have to risk their own lives to get the dead). There was a thread on here about a guy who took a fish hook out of a dolphins mouth. These may seem like small kindnesses but this is the stuff I want to be voting for (who did the most inspirational thing and why does it make a difference). Please someone make a thread on this - so when people google they come to something that actually adds value to the human race.

A person of the year should be something we all can achieve within ourselves (they set an example and we become inspired). Not aspiring to be something only 1% of the population has a shot at (fame), but the human spirit. What a shallow world this has become.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

You are right Di. Seems due to some stupidity that the winner will always be stupidity alas, amyone that has achieved something that is reallly important in fields like medicine, science, astrophisics, mechanics, health, environment and so on will play second fiddle to this #e.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Personally, I would vote Miley Cyrus as "Disappointment of the year".

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

I am not surprised given the current state of mans intellect.one can only shake his head,look down the drain,and wonder if this is were the future went.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Miley Cyrus and Erdgoden both in the top 3 says more about the mental destitution of humanity then Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Rosinitiate

Miley Cyrus and Erdgoden both in the top 3 says more about the mental destitution of humanity then Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Certainly a strange quartet at the top there. Miley and her agent are probably doing cartwheels right now (and filming them for her next vid "Time on my hands"). Just a couple of nights ago I was saying to a friend that maybe the Nobel committee gave Obama his Peace Prize so early so that he'd have to earn it. He seems to be doing that.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I suppose these polls are about zeitgeist rather than achievement - who has had the biggest influence on common (rather than popular) American culture.

I'm not American, but Miley (and that VMA performance) has been literally everywhere ever since. From halloween costumes, to airhead models posing in the costume etc. Miley related imagine memes, macros and jokes have been dominant on the internet this year and the newspaper coverage has been massive.

On that basis, it's not surprising that her 'stunt' (for that's what it was really) has real traction in a poll like this. Of course things like Egypt and Syria are more important stories, but they've had less of a cultural imprint than Miley Cyrus making a fool of herself. Remember, this is Time magazine - not The Economist or whatever.

It shouldn't really come as a surprise that the Boston Bombers are prominent either. If we're talking about things that imprint on the American popular consciousness, the idea that young American citizens could be radicalised within America itself to such murderous ends is shocking. The idea that sort of thing could be going on in the next neighbourhood along to yours is what makes it influential.

It's a silly list, but Time have to sell copies and all of these stories have obviously been significant in one way or another.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'd go with Snowden or Pope Francis or Putin. But Miley Cyrus??? Comeon ...

Putin saved the world from yet another war ... It would have been huge.
Pope Francis ... putting the Catholic church (1 billion followers) back on the right track.
Snowden ... World wide implications as well.

Any three of those I can see .... but Miley Cyrus or Angelina Jolie? (both on the list) YIKES.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Seriously Miley Cyrus? that failed super star? Its not Snowden nor the new Pope but Miley thats showing this new generation sexual moves and favors on a pop video? seriously whats wrong with people?

And lol RECEP TAYYIP ERDOĞAN with 18% of the vote, where was this poll taken Turkey?
edit on 3-12-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

Which raises a question... what went through Time's editor's minds when they decided to put the boston bombers as "person of the year" on that list? (and that's why I said in my first post that Cyrus being on top wasnt really the issue here)

So, lets see... everyone seems to get offended by everything and nothing these days, I cant call a mosquito, a mosquito without every freakin mosquito coming to my door step, rioting, writing blogs and posting up # on facebook like "it's culiseta longiareolata... we dont like generalizations and you're an ignorant racist" yet... noone seems to find offensive that Times Magazine decided to get 2 terrorists that performed a terrorist attack on american soil in a very well know event this year? Nobody says anything.

This is almost funny because we (the west) are in one extreme of the spectrum - we do nothing and let everything slide, and everyone does whatever they please while, you know, in some countries - the other extreme of the spectrum, this is a reason for people to storm a building and to hang these people on a public square, with green flags around their faces while chanting and firing ak47s...

Now in my opinion, and I'm not american... the only reason I can find for Time to put the boston bombers as person of the year can only be a deliberate choice to test, shock and to offend the american people - "how far can we go unscathed in any form". They shielded themselves with Cyrus and threw the boston bombers in there. Like I said... I'm not an american but I find this extremely offensive.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

I should add, my vote would be Pope Francis. I have always disliked Catholicism. If he represents what Catholicism will become....i will have to adjust my views on that.

In any event, he is risking his life to bring about some change. And may be THE major player in the global political arena over the next 5 years.

I agree wholeheatedly. Pope Francis has done more to nomalize Catholicsm this year than Miley has done for humanity, unless you consider twerking a benefit.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

UnBreakable

bigfatfurrytexan

I should add, my vote would be Pope Francis. I have always disliked Catholicism. If he represents what Catholicism will become....i will have to adjust my views on that.

In any event, he is risking his life to bring about some change. And may be THE major player in the global political arena over the next 5 years.

I agree wholeheatedly. Pope Francis has done more to nomalize Catholicsm this year than Miley has done for humanity, unless you consider twerking a benefit.

Twerking is absolutely a benefit. At least, to my marriage.
But that kind of stuff isn't for TV.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So... if I lick some hammers, ride nekkid on a wrecking ball, and twerk on Robin Thicke with my bear leotard on national television... can I be nominated person of the year, too?

She shouldn't be on the list at all, much less anywhere near the top.

I don't really like how the Tsarnev brothers are on the list, either. Why would that even be, considering the circumstances?

I voted for Snowden.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Who takes internet polls? If some stranger walked up and asked to you take a poll would you not walk away?

19% of how many? Who cares. They're all people dumb enough to take a poll on the internet

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Then explain why TAYYIP ERDOGAN is on the list lol

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Agent_USA_Supporter

Then explain why TAYYIP ERDOGAN is on the list lol

Because he supports the FSA. Thats enough reason for Time to put him there.

The Tsarnaevs on the other hand...

edit on 3-12-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

As long as you don't look like this.
it'll be worth a shot.

One does wonder where, when, and why Time took this poll. Those other top names are ones that an average Joe would not know nor support. Regardless, Obama's name being that low...is this a sign that the rest of the planet really doesn't like him also?

edit on 3-12-2013 by ChuckNasty because: added words

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Angelina Jolie is actually an important international Icon that I do actually enjoy seeing on this list. Her involvement with the UN and as a humanitarian as a whole had been very successful. And with her shining a light on preventative screening for breast cancer this past year, inspiring many to undergo a process that could save their lives is quite remarkable.
edit on 3-12-2013 by Born2BWildReloaded because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join