posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:44 AM
reply to post by mangust69
Hi, new to ATS. Had to finally create an account to comment on this.
In Finland, where I am from, false morels are also a valued delicacy collected in the spring time, so this is not limited to Russia. If sold
unprocessed, warning signs need to be posted by law as well as instructions for preparation. Top restaurants also serve these properly prepared when
See link below for more info
False morel on wiki
I have personally collected and eaten tons of false morels without any symptoms, so it "boils" down to knowing what you pick and how to process it.
However, here, it is also recommended not to eat them more often than about once a week due to possible toxic remnants even after being properly
There are basically two ways to process false morels
1) Parboiling - several times (3 recommended) in lots of fresh water, do not use the water as it is toxic. Also, don't inhale fumes while boiling.
2) Drying until crisp - we used to string the false morels and hang them in a well ventilated barn / attic. Do not enter the attic while drying as the
fumes off the mushrooms are toxic as well.
Personally, I prefer the latter method as it preserves the aroma and taste of the mushroom better. Downside, it takes time if your want your mushroom
One of my favorite dishes is creamy false morel soup, delicious.