It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm FURIOUS with the State of California!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Just when you think it can't get any crazier in this State I call "home" , my 76 year old father gets this letter from the CA Franchise Tax Board. Apparently they want $9,800 for taxes they say he owes from 2007 and 2008, are they out of their minds!!!

Some quick background about my Dad, he started receiving Social Security at age 67, just under $600 a month, not enough to live on so he continued to work little part time jobs and now lives with us as his health has been poor the last few years. He worked hard all his life, is a Korean Vet and has never used public assistance other then medi-care which is a system he has paid into all his life.

WTH is going on?! He made $5,200 in 2007 and $4,700 in 2008, I know taxes were taken out of his checks, but don't think he filed taxes cause he was told he didn't make enough to worry about it. This letter is quite threatening and I am so angry!!!! What do I do to help him? Thanks for listening and for any feedback. I'm just sick over this and haven't even told him yet as he doesn't need any more stress in his life....

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
No matter how hard we will try to understand how unfair and incoherent this system is, we will fail miserably.

I wish luck to you and your family, hope you can resolve the situation.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

The IRS only has three years to perform an audit. If I were you I'd get in touch with an enrolled agent if possible, if not just research it on your own. If the audit was done recently it would be after the statute of limitations for them to perform an audit.

Also, do not hire a tax attorney...they are not as specialized in many cases and cost far more than enrolled agents.

Edit: Just noticed you said franchise board. I would still look into the statute of limitations in regard to them taking taxes.

www.ftb.ca.gov...

Also this shows filing requirements as of 2012

www.ftb.ca.gov...

You need to call them and ask for the filing requirements and then also get your dads copies of earnings+ss for the years being audited. If they fall under the requirements then I'd suggest faxing them the middle finger and a copy of your left ass cheek.

Here's their number to request the requirements(get in writing) for those years:

edit on 2-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

What you can do is the only thing there is to do, in my personal opinion. Get with a Tax Attorney or other professional. Believe it or not, California chased me over what began as a few hundred dollar issue from my teens. I got notice in my mid 20's clear out here in Missouri. Not nice of them to wait a good looooong time for their own interest and penalties to add up to the point of making it a really big amount.

The important thing is, it was their screw up, not mine and it got cleared up. I couldn't have done it without hiring a professional though. I think states, and especially that one, have too many ways to play dirty that we don't even know to expect to not hire someone.

Just my personal thoughts though... I certainly would be leary of any internet advice when it comes to an enforcement action from a tax agency. Thats probably a class of agency I 'fear' a WHOLE lot more than NSA or CIA people. The tax guys can take things, legally.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Yes, it defies logic...TY for your kind wishes.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

MountainLaurel
Just when you think it can't get any crazier in this State I call "home" , my 76 year old father gets this letter from the CA Franchise Tax Board. Apparently they want $9,800 for taxes they say he owes from 2007 and 2008, are they out of their minds!!!

Some quick background about my Dad, he started receiving Social Security at age 67, just under $600 a month, not enough to live on so he continued to work little part time jobs and now lives with us as his health has been poor the last few years. He worked hard all his life, is a Korean Vet and has never used public assistance other then medi-care which is a system he has paid into all his life.

WTH is going on?! He made $5,200 in 2007 and $4,700 in 2008, I know taxes were taken out of his checks, but don't think he filed taxes cause he was told he didn't make enough to worry about it. This letter is quite threatening and I am so angry!!!! What do I do to help him? Thanks for listening and for any feedback. I'm just sick over this and haven't even told him yet as he doesn't need any more stress in his life....

There has to be more to it (is he telling you everything?).

Anything over 500$ has to filed, he should know that after all these years. It could be someone used his social security number to get a job (someone got student loans with mine once). I would contact the local DAV if he is a disabled Vet, he probably qualifies for legal help. Also VA hospitals have free legal advice, generally on Fridays. I would contact the local VA Hospital and ask about that. Also I would go to the VA regional office and ask for help. Good luck, I hope that was helpful. If he is a disabled Vet your chances are better to get some help to clear this up.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Ty for the links and feedback, I do intend on contacting an agent once I review this with the rest of our family. I'm so angry I might make things worse if I fight this without facts and a calmer attitude.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Tax codes are incredibly complicated(intentionally) and the best way to approach it is to first have the paperwork. Get copies of both his ss income and his employer w2s, 1099s etc.

Once that's done then obtain copies of the filing requirements from the CA office. Then compare if your father really was supposed to file. If he was contact an enrolled agent, based on what your dad earned the amount they are trying to obtained is high which means its more than likely incorrect. Even IRS has rules in regard to how much can be tacked on.

They probably figured they'd just take advantage of an old man.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

TY Wrabbit...some good advice and interesting story and insight. Yes, many nasty stories of how CA "extorts" money, and I am SICK of it!!!!!! Enough is Enough!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
At his age...tell them to go to hell.

I know I would and am preparing to do so.

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

WTH is going on?! He made $5,200 in 2007 and $4,700 in 2008, I know taxes were taken out of his checks, but don't think he filed taxes cause he was told he didn't make enough to worry about it.

Notice the total they say he owes is the sum of those two years?

Call them and ask why they think he owes that amount. If they say he didn't file for those years, play like oh he's old he may have forgotten, you'll file for him, okay?

He may have a refund coming if they took taxes and he's under the minimums. Or someone claimed they paid him more than he earned (yikes). It happens.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Volund

It would seem there is "more" to this....but I don't think so. Yes, he should have known better, but my Mom always took care of taxes. I do remember him telling me he didn't make enough to file, and I didn't question it at the time. Thankfully he was not dis-abled, he was a medic in the Navy. Until the last few years has always been in good health.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

What part of Ca are you from ? I live out in Joshua tree i'm sure you've heard of it.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

jude11
At his age...tell them to go to hell.

I know I would and am preparing to do so.

Peace

LOLOLO....what's funny Jude is that is exactly what I know my Dad will say when I tell him!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

Oh Yes, have even been there....Beautiful ! He lived in the Bay Area at the time. We all live in Visalia now.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

MountainLaurel
reply to post by desertguy

Oh Yes, have even been there....Beautiful ! He lived in the Bay Area at the time. We all live in Visalia now.

Cool Small world, Ive lived here for 6 years love it.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

What do I do to help him?

Step 1: Throw it in the garbage.

Step 2: Voila.

Step 3: Profit.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I'm not from the US but I have read on other posts, blogs etc that the IRS rountinely do what they've done to your father just to try to frighten people into paying up. I suggest you call their bluff and ask them prove your father owes the money. Make them show their hand and then rebutt it by saying what you have said in this post and a bit more.

new topics

top topics

join