It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant director warns Britain it may be next!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Also rest of the world ..

Fukushima director warns Britain it may be next

Monday, December 02, 2013

In an interview with the Guardian, the man in charge of Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has warned that a similar disaster could easily befall any of the world's nuclear power plants.

Commenting on the United Kingdom's plans to build a new generation of nuclear plants in Somerset, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) president Naomi Hirose said that the British nuclear power industry needs to be "prepared for the worst."

"What happened at Fukushima was, yes, a warning to the world," he said.

But even with such preparations, he warned, it is a mistake to ever think of nuclear power as 100 percent safe - no matter what the nuclear industry might claim.

"We have to explain, no matter how small a possibility, what if this [safety] barrier is broken?" he said. "We have to prepare a plan if something happens ... It is easy to say this is almost perfect so we don't have to worry about it. But we have to keep thinking: what if ..."

www.naturalnews.com...##ixzz2mMAn9iuv
edit on 2-12-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
October 19, 2012
Nuclear Regulatory Commission has Failed to Adequately Address Flood Risks at Nuclear Plants from Dam Failures, Report Finds

Negligence Could Lead to a U.S. Fukushima, Science Group Says

Thirty-four nuclear reactors—one-third of the U.S. fleet—could face flooding hazards greater than they were designed to withstand if an upstream dam fails, according to the report, which was written by NRC staff members in July of last year. The NRC has known about these risks for at least 15 years and has failed to adequately address them.

Below is a list of eight plants the report identified as some of the most vulnerable to a flood from a dam failure and the nearest metropolitan areas to those plants.

Arkansas Nuclear: Little Rock
Cooper: Kansas City, Lincoln and Omaha
Fort Calhoun: Omaha
Indian Point: Bridgeport, Danbury, New Haven, New York City, Poughkeepsie and Stamford
Oconee: Greenville (S.C.)
Sequoyah: Chattanooga
South Texas: Houston, San Antonio and Austin
Watts Bar: Knoxville

www.ucsusa.org...

Flood Threat To Nuclear Plants Covered Up By Regulators, NRC Whistleblower Claims

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Well it's refreshing to hear something with the ring of truth to it for a change, a little to bad it's to shift focus no matter how deserved.

We as a people either have to invest in way more infastructure for future and existing plants, or abandon them as too soon a tech...but it has been around for some time as well as the needed protections.

This entire industry reminds me of the titanic with only half the needed lifeboats to save cost.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Nuclear Regulatory Commission Strips Whistleblower Protection
Nov 14, 2013

fairewinds.org...

Report: S.C. nuclear reactors at risk from dam failure

Monday, September 23, 2013

Several U.S. nuclear power plants, including one in Oconee County, could face major problems, including public exposure, if a nearby dam were to fail, according to a newly released report.

The Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility released documents Monday that it had received from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, including a July 2011 report on flooding at power plant sites after upstream dam failures.

www.postandcourier.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Ever notice that the places that continue to say doom and gloom are always Naturalnews and Fairewinds, two organizations hell bent on getting rid of anything that isn't 100% all natural?

That being said, and having had lived only 3 miles from Indian Point in Westchester County NY for many years, and also remembering TMI-2 in the late 70's and how close that one came to being a major event, there is some truth to the fact that Nuclear Power Plants if they were to fail will fail spectacularly, however, it's kind of like airplane crashes, they get all the press, but in the overall picture there have been far fewer incidents involving Nuclear Plants than there are involving coal and oil fired plants.

Yes, do we need adequate prevantative measures in place, 100% yes, we do, do we need to ditch Nuclear Power entirely? No.. why?

It's simple, on the whole, it is most certainly cheaper and more environmentally friendly to run a Nuclear Plant, than it is say to run a coal fired plant. Nuclear plants provide much more energy for the buck and, when combined with Wind Farms can totally replace a slew of Coal fired plants..

I can also say with a lot of certainty, that the amount of radiation the workers are getting on a daily basis in a normal functional plant is far less than normal people get every year from XRay's etc.. I can say that because for a few years, I worked as a fuel shipper/receiver and had to unload, fire dry and repackage the uranium pellets that came in from processing in Missouri, from my station they went into the next room where they were loaded into the long rods and sealed up for transport. After Two years of working in the hot room, I was exposed to about 2 xray's worth of radiation, that's it, and I worked with OPEN pellet containers.. not the contained rods with all sorts of control rod and coolant around..

The point is, that you can't just relay on a site like Natural News that has a most certain and definite agenda to push as far as these things go, and maybe, just maybe research the claims being made by that site before jumping on the "we're all doomed" bandwagon.

Even with all lit's faults, I felt safer near Indian Point than I did living next to an active Air Force Base..

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Bomb blast near India nuclear plant kills six: Police
By AFP
Published: November 27, 2013

NEW DELHI: A bomb blast near India’s biggest nuclear power plant killed six people, police said Wednesday, sparking a probe into whether the explosion was linked to protests against the facility.

The home-made bomb accidentally exploded overnight in a village near Kudankulam power plant in the southern state of Tamil Nadu, destroying three homes and causing injuries, the district police chief told AFP.

“The bomb exploded accidently inside a house. Six people died and three more are seriously injured,” police superintendant Vijayendra Bidari said.

“Some anti-nuclear activists were living in this village. This house was being used as a bomb-making facility. We are investigating from all angles,” he said.

tribune.com.pk...

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Gundersen: They want to dump all Fukushima’s radioactive water into Pacific — Tepco: It will be diluted, then released — Professor suggests pumping it out in deep ocean (VIDEOS)

December 2nd, 2013 at 5:56 pm ET

The Real News Network, Dec. 1, 2013: Dale Klein is now suggesting is that we’re just going to take [Fukushima's radioactive water] and pump it into the Pacific. And I don’t think that’s a very good idea. It’s cheap and it’s fast, it’s the expedient way of doing it, but really there’s something called the London dumping convention. And back in 1972, Greenpeace was very active in preventing radiation from being dumped into the ocean and to my way of thinking, this would violate the London Dumping Convention if they did it.

therealnews.com...

enenews.com... -pumping-it-out-in-deep-ocean-videos

Starfish are dying at an alarming rate on West Coast, Washington all along the coast of California!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Treespeaker

Well it's refreshing to hear something with the ring of truth to it for a change, a little to bad it's to shift focus no matter how deserved.

We as a people either have to invest in way more infastructure for future and existing plants, or abandon them as too soon a tech...but it has been around for some time as well as the needed protections.

This entire industry reminds me of the titanic with only half the needed lifeboats to save cost.

Cheers

This is what happens when you give greed the right to create safety measures. They could have had 3 times more safety if they where not as small minded about the greed. Money is the failure of this.
edit on 2-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The biggest problem I see for the lessons out of Fukushima is that he's right about it being possible in many other places. Not everywhere or every reactor, but a good many of them to be sure. Ironically, a nuclear power plant needs one thing to stay stable and not literally explode from gas build up, as Fuku's units did. Electrical power of it's own, from an outside source. What sense does that make?

I think it would be a very promising direction to go if current and modern reactor designs, which default/fail to a safe state, were made to replace all these decades old designs and actual constructions. It's old tech, old ways and disastrous when anything goes wrong, since it most certainly does not default to a cold and safe state...as the world well knows now.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Is that a Promise or a Threat ???

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I'm amazed that people are still 'drinking the kool-ade'! What more has to happen before the world wakes up to the dangers of nuclear power plants? They're built on coastlines; on top of fault lines; in flood planes, and below dams....and some still think it's our best option?!
* shaking head*

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Moss landing in Monterey, CA (not as big), is a good example of a Fukushima look alike (earthquake zone literally with beach as its backyard). Yes - it can happen anywhere but it seems rare. I still say - don't build the things next to an ecosystem like the ocean. Use the desert or another dead zone (as dead as possible). Figure out how to make that energy get to where it needs to be. Or even better - find something clean and self sustaining so it can be "free" for all of us.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
You need a very good Plan in both cases,
a. going Nuclear
b. avoid Nuclear

I saw environmental Pollution behind even your greatest Imagination (India/ Delhi)
I experience/d the Accident here in Japan as well as in Chernobyl
and i can calculate a bit the future numbers of Earthlings on this Planet

Imo. we, as the World-Society, need honest Talks about our Process
and we need to search a Decision as a Hive,
not as Slaves or Alpha-, Beta- or Gamma People!

At the moment we have not "that" many possibilities because we are very close
to the Collapse when we not change something.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

You do realize that Mr Gunderson is a fraud? His "license" to operate a nuke reactor is limited to a classroom sized zero heat generating test thing that's about the size of a coffeemaker, he worked for TWO years at a desk job for NU, and was a math teacher for the rest of it. His company, Fairewinds, was set up by he and his wife to promote HIS ideas and patent for decommissioning nuke plants and get the money from that project, there's a serious conflict of interest where he's concerned and well, he needs to be taken about as seriously as Miccho is when dealing with this sort of stuff.

That's all gleaned from a 3 minute search, I'm sure there's much more about Gunderson and his little Fairewinds that can be learned given more time..

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Nuclear Event in United Kingdom on Tuesday, 03 December, 2013 at 17:39 (05:39 PM) UTC.
EDIS Number: NC-20131203-41844-GBR

Part of Dungeness nuclear power station has shut down because of an equipment fault. EDF said the Dungeness B reactor 21 shut down because of an issue on a turbine condenser. The energy firm said staff on site at the plant in Kent were working on a repair to return the unit power. National Grid data showed the 550-megawatt reactor stopped sending power to the system and it shut down at 03:50 GMT, EDF said. Dungeness B has two reactors and reactor 22 remains operational. Dungeness A has been decommissioned. Both Dungeness B reactors automatically shut down during the St Jude's Day storm on 28 October, when electricity to the site was cut off. After the storm, the reactors were restarted using the power station's own generators and the plant was later reconnected to the National Grid on 6 November.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

edit on 3-12-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

vkey08

You do realize that Mr Gunderson is a fraud? His "license" to operate a nuke reactor is limited to a classroom sized zero heat generating test thing that's about the size of a coffeemaker, he worked for TWO years at a desk job for NU, and was a math teacher for the rest of it. His company, Fairewinds, was set up by he and his wife to promote HIS ideas and patent for decommissioning nuke plants and get the money from that project, there's a serious conflict of interest where he's concerned and well, he needs to be taken about as seriously as Miccho is when dealing with this sort of stuff.

That's all gleaned from a 3 minute search, I'm sure there's much more about Gunderson and his little Fairewinds that can be learned given more time..

Ha ha ..

OMG ..
edit on 3-12-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
There are people in this world who are actively working against any kind of energy because cheap, available energy keeps the little people out of having to grub in the dirt for a short, nasty, and brutish life.

Like it or not, there are many in the green movement who would very much like to put many of us back into that hunter/gatherer subsistence level of life while they sit at the top enjoying all the conveniences of modern living. Some of us might be privileged to be their house slaves.

While there are grave risks to nuclear power, I also have to take anything coming from a committed environmental source with a grain of salt because of their depopulationist, New World Order agenda. They are no more trustworthy than any industry scientist and for much the same reason - being paid to promote an agenda with their work.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I don't understand OMG ha ha as a valid response to a little research on the man, living in CT I have heard his name over the years, and honestly nothing I have heard is that good, he is out to make a buck like everyone else in this world and you have to take that into account instead of blindly saying "he's an expert"

It would be like saying Jeff Butler was an "expert" a few years ago, look where he is now, retired away from NU in disgrace for not being able to keep the lights on for two and half weeks..

Northeast Utilities for all their faults, does keep extremely anally retentive records, and when it came time for MR Gunderson's wrongful termination suit, guess who won? And that was in front of a jury, NU didn't have to do much, he hung himself, why do you think he had to eek out a living teaching math at various area high schools for years? Seriously, unless you have something better than OMG HA HA as a response to a valid concern about the man's credibility, I would understand that he has a very clear agenda and it's not 100% "protecting" the world...

Now, You missed the part of my earlier statement, I worked in Nuclear Fuel Processing for a a few years, I have a lot of in and out experience with the reactor control room mockup and I would never say I know how a fully running reactor runs, I do however have a very good understanding of how the spent fuel is handled and stored until it's ready to move, I also have a very very healthy respect for the machinery that runs these plants, I also know that (And I did say this as well) when they fail the potential is there for them to fail SPECTACULARLY, but.. and here's the but, with all of their faults, they are still a good, clean source of energy until we can get these hydrogen engines running better.. take it or leave it, which would you prefer, tons and tons of soot, carbon dioxide and other particulates released into the air every hour by a coal plant, or a Nuclear Plant that for most of their operating lives seem to run pretty clean. Your pick.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

As far as Mr. Silver hair goes,, he has been a faith full soldier since day one. Too claim otherwise is absurd.
He also said that yes, there were engenering mistakes,, and yes , fail safe could have been better.
Now you have said "which would you prefer, tons and tons of soot, carbon dioxide and other particulates released into the air every hour by a coal plant, or a Nuclear Plant that for most of their operating lives seem to run pretty clean. Your pick. "

"pretty clean. Your pick. ",, i pick Mr. Gunderson,, at least he is factual.

400 Tons a day,,, the size of a full grown elephant,, or a Mitzubishi Dump Truck,, the Largest in the world,, holds 400 tons,, thats EVERYDAY SINCE,,,, well u can catch up if u want,, and do the math,,,

pretty clean. Your pick.

i know who i pick. u pick.

thats in Japanese as well.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

BobAthome
reply to post by vkey08

As far as Mr. Silver hair goes,, he has been a faith full soldier since day one. Too claim otherwise is absurd.
He also said that yes, there were engenering mistakes,, and yes , fail safe could have been better.
Now you have said "which would you prefer, tons and tons of soot, carbon dioxide and other particulates released into the air every hour by a coal plant, or a Nuclear Plant that for most of their operating lives seem to run pretty clean. Your pick. "

"pretty clean. Your pick. ",, i pick Mr. Gunderson,, at least he is factual.

400 Tons a day,,, the size of a full grown elephant,, or a Mitzubishi Dump Truck,, the Largest in the world,, holds 400 tons,, thats EVERYDAY SINCE,,,, well u can catch up if u want,, and do the math,,,

pretty clean. Your pick.

i know who i pick. u pick.

thats in Japanese as well.

You are missing the part where Mr Gunderson profits from doom and gloom and making this worse than it may be, my point is still missed, he has an agenda, a very very subtle and hidden one but it's there, and you cannot discount that and all of the things he's inflated about his resume from day one, just to get views and his name plastered everywhere. And just an FYI: I am from Japan, have most of my family still there, and visit quite often.. I don't fall victim to the "I'm in Japan and I claim this or that" it's easy enough for me to pick up the phone and ask..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join