It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HowTo: Stop children's temper tantrums

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Happiest Toddler on the Block

www.amazon.com...

I highly recommend it. My son is very "sensitive". So I dealt with quite a few tantrums. This worked about 80% of the time.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I will try this with my 6yr old and will report back with my findings.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Thank You. True i wish i would have known your water trick back then, help set the tone for her emotions training session

Yes i think i am a good Mr. Mom hehe. Mom does a great job of other aspects but discipline and things are my department. Like everything its a learning process to find out what works and what doesn't. All kids are different and there is no manual that comes with children. I said i would never be like my parents raising children...but alot of the negative parenting traits that i hated as a child come out as a reaction response so i have had to train that out of me as well.
Work in progress always searching for a better way

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I can not wait to try this. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. The 2 year old is going thru his "terrible two's" at the moment so it will be a nice experiment to try.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

This is not exactly on topic but related:

Children with iodine, lithium, chromium, and vanadium deficiencies have the MOST behavioral problems and concentration issues. The best is plant derived minerals as they are absorable and it's best to get all 90 essential nutrients manually every day.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I think PUP is a better way to go.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Worked like a charm with my 4yr old last night. Waiting on using it with my 6yr old.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

If my 4 year old son is pitching a fit (throwing a temper tantrum for you yankees) and you try to hand him a glass of water, you have about an 85% chance of a hospital visit after he takes it and smashes it in your face. Just as there is no one size fits all solution to dealing with adults in adverse situations, there is no one size fits all solution to children. Everyone is unique and, everyone needs to be approached in unique ways. This is even true of my children who have been raise in the same household with the same parents and with the same love. I actually know a couple, now in their early 80's, whom I respect a great deal. Their daughter would freak out so bad at the drop of a pin, they used to keep Ice cold glasses of water around at diner and other times so they could throw it in her face. It was this shock that would make her gasp and have to take a breath that would calm her down. Out of seven children, she is the only one that acted that way and they used the water on. She's grown, well adjusted, happy mother of 4 now. some may not agree with this method, but I believe it's better than getting her addicted to psychotropic drugs to handle the problem.
edit on 5-12-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Lol it worked to some extent. Obviously not every circumstance it will work but I would have to say for the most part this was a success. I used it on my 5 year old because he was whiny and it helped more than anything because he had to stop and ask why the heck are you giving me this glass of water. Which caused him to deter away from why he was whining in the first place.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

macman
Worked like a charm with my 4yr old last night. Waiting on using it with my 6yr old.

Thanks, to you and to everyone who posted lately. Some nice success stories. The tale about the older couple who would throw an ice cold glass of water in their child's face to stop the tantrum...ah...that's not exactly what I meant, but maybe some got in the kid's mouth!

By the way, if giving a child (or an adult) water, often the water at room temperature will be easier to drink, as ice water tends to be sipped when a half-a-dozen or a dozen good gulps are what does the trick.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The one and only time (no, seriously) that my daughter threw a temper tantrum she was 3 years old and we were in the grocery store.

How did I handle it ?

I completely ignored her behaviour like as if she wasn't even there. Not a single word came out of my mouth, and I didn't even look down at her. I simply continued to push the cart down the aisle and over into the next aisle leaving her there kicking and screaming on the floor. I stood in the next aisle pretending to look at the groceries (while obviously listening with a sharp ear to make sure she was okay)... and a minute or two later, the screaming stopped once she realized I was no longer there.

A few seconds later she came toddling over to me (I was watching out of the corner of my eye while pretending to look up at the groceries) and tugged on my sweater looking up at me with tears streaming down her face and said, "Mommy, I'm sorry. I won't ever do that again."

I bent down and gave her a big hug and kiss and said, "I'm so proud of you sweety for seeing how silly your behaviour was and being such a big girl about it."

She never threw another one again.

I consider myself one of the lucky parents to have birthed such a smart kiddo.

She's now a 22 year old young woman and continues to make me more proud every single day as I watch the beautiful human being she's growing to become.

*sniffle*

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Do you happen to have any info directly for the study you based this off of? I am interested in reading it.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

macman

Do you happen to have any info directly for the study you based this off of? I am interested in reading it.

Sure, the data is in the opening post of this thread, starting with the third paragraph. The genius who thought this up should get the "Anne Hathaway Humanitarian Award", or at least a Nobel.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

CranialSponge
The one and only time (no, seriously) that my daughter threw a temper tantrum she was 3 years old and we were in the grocery store.

How did I handle it ?

I completely ignored her behaviour like as if she wasn't even there. Not a single word came out of my mouth, and I didn't even look down at her. I simply continued to push the cart down the aisle and over into the next aisle leaving her there kicking and screaming on the floor. I stood in the next aisle pretending to look at the groceries (while obviously listening with a sharp ear to make sure she was okay)... and a minute or two later, the screaming stopped once she realized I was no longer there.

A few seconds later she came toddling over to me (I was watching out of the corner of my eye while pretending to look up at the groceries) and tugged on my sweater looking up at me with tears streaming down her face and said, "Mommy, I'm sorry. I won't ever do that again."

I bent down and gave her a big hug and kiss and said, "I'm so proud of you sweety for seeing how silly your behaviour was and being such a big girl about it."

She never threw another one again.

I consider myself one of the lucky parents to have birthed such a smart kiddo.

She's now a 22 year old young woman and continues to make me more proud every single day as I watch the beautiful human being she's growing to become.

*sniffle*

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing that moment.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
One good smack works pretty well.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You can get pretty dehydrated from crying so I think that might be the reason the glass of water is so tempting.

Once at work there was a toddler girl screaming her head off. I went up to her with a box of pencils and asked her if she wanted one. She immediately stopped crying and stood looking at the pencils, which were different colors, before finally choosing one.

Another interesting thing I heard once was to whisper into the child's ear. He will be so intrigued to find out what you are saying he will stop crying so he can hear you. Don't know if it works- I didn't raise any children.

Sal

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SallieSunshine

Good tips. As for dehydrated from crying, I don't know, does anyone have any accurate measurements of how much water is used in the average cry? I don't mean a "my woman left me and I am so blue" or "I had the Steelers by five and they won by four!" cries, but a child's tantrum cry. It can't be more than a teaspoon if that, but I've never taken out the test tubes and measured.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Just saw this in action at Chinamart. Kid was screaming for what looked like no reason. The father was all clueless but the mother came over and gave the kid a drink. Instant contentment.

This might work on adults too. I remember from my younger days that when someone tried to start a bar fight, I'd just buy them a rum and Coke. They would forget why they were so pissed off.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join