It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HowTo: Stop children's temper tantrums

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Give them water! I've stopped probably over a hundred temper tantrums by just handing the child a glass of water. At first they sometimes push it away, but then they will drink it, and then a couple of minutes later, good as new!

It should be room temperature or at least not very cold water.

I discovered this in the early '90s when I was just getting into dehydration issues and doing self-experimentation on hydration and dehydration. Noticing children who were just acting up, yelling, screaming, crying, bullying other children, I thought "Ah, what if they're just dehydrated and are crying for water?"

Babies especially are very sad, they scream for water at the top of their lungs and their throats are raspy and the noises coming from them give all the signs of dehydrated throats (hopefully most here knows that cough medicines, etc., don't work, and just numb the throat - numbing the symptom while ignoring the cause).

So usually when I'm in a store or a mall or someplace, and a child or baby is giving dehydration signals (sometimes at the top of their poor dry lungs), I'll tell the parents about this. Some listen, and they are the ones who will save hundreds of hours of frustration and unnerving crying and screaming. Most don't, as they don't want strangers telling them how to raise their child. Maybe the ones who listen are the ones who will be more apt to do it.

A few years later I contacted a national hydration group, who did their own informal experiments on this in a nursery school, and they claimed it worked.

Writing this is making me thirsty.

The only thing I ask of the parents with children in stores is that if it works to share it with at least one other person who needs the information, and I'll kindly ask the same of readers here, if you would.
edit on 2-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Back of the hand works quite well..... (obviously joking for all you serious types on ATS)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
What I find amazing is that a portion of the population doesn't even drink pure water. They have sports drinks, energy drinks, sodas, and double shot espressos or similar.

I drink tea and water. The more the better (erm, not much more than a liter per hour ever) !

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

jhn7537

Back of the hand works quite well..... (obviously joking for all you serious types on ATS)

Sure! As long as the back of the hand is balancing a glass of water!

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Kudos to you! My four year old was literally in the middle of a tantrum when your thread popped up. One glass of water....done. Im a happy mom with peace and quiet again.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

AccessDenied
Kudos to you! My four year old was literally in the middle of a tantrum when your thread popped up. One glass of water....done. Im a happy mom with peace and quiet again.

Your're welcome, and that was quick confirmation. Now you will gain many hours of peace, which you will use well by posting on ATS no doubt. Please share the "technique" (as if every animal, insect, bird and one-celled organism didn't know about this millennia before I figured it out). I must say, though, that I am not a doctor or in the medical profession, just to be clear to readers here who may use this proven method of "shutting them up".
edit on 2-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

If children could speak they would say it. Thanks for speaking for them.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
My daughter doesn't really throw temper tantrums. That said, she absolutely went off in the middle of the roller skating rink because she wanted to put on 'real' skates like dad and not the fisher price ones. However, her request came half way through the last song so by the time I could even get them it would have been over.

She screamed and begged me to let her skate. Pleading in a manner that just broke my heart while feeling absolutely humiliated because I couldn't calm her down. Would water work? I don't know but its worth a try.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You're absolutely right, I was truly amazed. My two and three year old just got into a fight, I poured the water showed them the cups and they stopped completely just to come drink it.

Thank you. This will be adopted as a family tradition.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Duct tape always worked for me!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Hrmmmm.... Before I call shenanighans... Because I have a 16 month Lilysaurus who is the love of my life... I will put this to the offical Daddy Sulaw test!!! So I will SnF my friend! So I can come back with my results.

Just a background on my little tyrant at home and because I was going to bring this to the table on ATS...

She was walking by 9 1/2 month, she can now climb out of her crib both successfully and one ocasion last week where she bit her tongue... My poor penut!!! (Sad face)

She takes after her daddy and climbs everything!!! Even 4' high chairs (SUCCESFULLY!!!) She doesn't take no for an answer. I've been stern! So has my Fiance'!

If she doesn't get what she wants... It's tantrum away! I've tried damn near everything I find in books on google and from past parents to try and qwell the beast....

So, anything that might work, I daddy sulaw am up for the challange!!!

I will bring back my findings!!! SNF!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

nighthawk1954
Duct tape always worked for me!

I thought about duct taping my daughter to the ceiling but she's too darn cute!!! /wakka wakka!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have a 2 yr old named Tank. And he is a tank!!! I will try this and impress the wife hopefully.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

CHEERS! CONGRATS. THX.

No kids but many parents ask me advice on such matters.

My mother learned a different method from my childhood dentist . . . which would probably get her arrested nowadays.

I was terrified as a toddler, of the dentist. Finally, he asked mother dear to leave the room. Then he proceeded to put his hand over my mouth. I big his fingers. He adjusted his hand. I kept screaming. He began to not only cover my mouth but also pinch my nose off and on--all the while calmly telling me that he'd take his hand away if I quit screaming.

Mother, of course, demanded to know how he did it. Her solution was always to whack . . . hard.

He taught her and forevermore she was a vigorous evangelist for such.

I even had to use it sometimes in counseling when parents could not get a babysitter. Typically, toddler Johnny would not behave--being in control of the family at 2-3 or so . . . I warned the parents when they told me they had to bring Johnny, that either they controlled him or I controlled him or the session was over. They always agreed. He was typically used to getting his way.

Soon enough, I'd have to tell him--"Johnny, if you touch that lamp; keep making noise; etc. I will immediately place you in my lap. Of course, Johnny HAD to IMMEDIATELY touch the lamp. Just as immediately he went in my lap. Just as immediately he began to scream. Just as immediately my hand went over his mouth. And I'd let him know that we'd have to count to 10 of his being quiet before he could get off my lap.

Of course, he'd get off in a huff then, and tentatively test the limits again. When he realized that the limits would be reinforced reliably . . . he was cool with it. Actually, every last one of such examples would, within 10-20 minutes or so, crawl up in my lap for comfort and affection.

Somehow they knew that the affection etc. was just as reliable and genuine as the discipline. And they were typically starved for both.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Great thread! I have used this, though not only with water, on all three of my kids including my 9 month old and it works every time. My mom did this to me when I was a kid. I always considered it a distraction technique though it may have more to do with dehydrated throats like you posted.

Similar distraction techniques are taught in my kids Montessori school so I use those for focus issues and such as well.

Water works best but I use any child friendly, consumable liquid I can in a pinch.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I am only kidding patients always worked for me ...Thank God there were very few, as I was a single dad when my daughter 6 until I met my wife when she was 10. Today she is chasing her dream of being a Police Officer and a Attorney. She has a $35,000 scholarship for the University of New Haven number one in the USA for Criminal Justice.
I bought to be a leader like her dad, I my self as a officer in my Vol. Fire dept.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread OP SnF. I will try this tomorrow with my daughter who turns 4 in February 2014. She has recently started throwing a tantrum everytime she is told something she doesn't want to hear e.g. time to go home from the park or she can't have any sweets from the shop etc etc.

She is is very clever for her age (I would say that though
) and her speech is far superior to children her own age at nursery and even children 1 year older than her who attend school. When she's thirsty she always asks for a drink and she drinks water all day, except meal times when we allow diluted concentrated juice, so I am slightly skeptical as to whether I will see any significant results. However i shall give it a shot.

@ Sulaw, my little pickle is called lily as well

King
edit on 2/12/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't think that would work. I would say take away their undeserved Iphone, but then again kids these days would probably kill you in your sleep.
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

BO XIAN

CHEERS! CONGRATS. THX.

No kids but many parents ask me advice on such matters.

My mother learned a different method from my childhood dentist . . . which would probably get her arrested nowadays.

I was terrified as a toddler, of the dentist. Finally, he asked mother dear to leave the room. Then he proceeded to put his hand over my mouth. I big his fingers. He adjusted his hand. I kept screaming. He began to not only cover my mouth but also pinch my nose off and on--all the while calmly telling me that he'd take his hand away if I quit screaming.

Mother, of course, demanded to know how he did it. Her solution was always to whack . . . hard.

He taught her and forevermore she was a vigorous evangelist for such.

I even had to use it sometimes in counseling when parents could not get a babysitter. Typically, toddler Johnny would not behave--being in control of the family at 2-3 or so . . . I warned the parents when they told me they had to bring Johnny, that either they controlled him or I controlled him or the session was over. They always agreed. He was typically used to getting his way.

Soon enough, I'd have to tell him--"Johnny, if you touch that lamp; keep making noise; etc. I will immediately place you in my lap. Of course, Johnny HAD to IMMEDIATELY touch the lamp. Just as immediately he went in my lap. Just as immediately he began to scream. Just as immediately my hand went over his mouth. And I'd let him know that we'd have to count to 10 of his being quiet before he could get off my lap.

Of course, he'd get off in a huff then, and tentatively test the limits again. When he realized that the limits would be reinforced reliably . . . he was cool with it. Actually, every last one of such examples would, within 10-20 minutes or so, crawl up in my lap for comfort and affection.

Somehow they knew that the affection etc. was just as reliable and genuine as the discipline. And they were typically starved for both.

There are more appropriate ways to teach children proper behavior, IMO.
Children behave because they want to please you( or they FEAR you.
Children misbehave because they need your attention.
What you are advocating is for the lazy way of parenting, IMHO, and those are the exact types of people that harm children.
To deprive a child of the breath of life may be effective, but I sure wouldn't want somebody making me do things 'their way' by using such tactics.
Again; just my opinion.
edit on 1u22America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Thanks everyone. I can still remember the first child I tried this with. It was a hippie-style co-op house, and the boy was just creating havoc. At the time I was exploring hydration, using my galpal at the time as a guinea pig. She told me all her illness symptoms from birth on up, and darn it if each one of them didn't sound like dehydration (this was about two years before I was told about watercure.com, so I was self exploring). I kept asking her questions because she was one of those people who couldn't remember ever drinking water (I do not know how someone can still be alive, but, duh, I didn't drink it either for many many years and subsisted on Pepsi-cola and Dr. Pepper - which I happily got rid of when I stopped drinking soda a long time ago....actually, after starting to hydrate I lost lots of my urge for soda, and got my caffeine for awhile from little chocolate chips. ummmmm little chocolate chips).

Anyway, long story long, my friend started to drink a few glasses of water a day. Yech, she hated the taste, but since we were going through this discovery period she continued. She came by about a week later all excited....after a glass, suddenly her body just wanted more, and more, and more, and she drank more water than she had ever thought she could and felt wonderful.

From that "experiment" with someone who'd seldom if ever drank water, I surmised that the body has to know a person is serious. It has to not bloom suddenly, like a cactus, but has to have maybe a week (in her case) for the body to start to trust that the person is going to keep drinking water, and then it really really wanted it.

Tales from the tap (or bottled).

One more story. A guy I knew who was active in the civil rights movement as one of their Freedom Singers shared my interest in hydration, and he told me everyone has to develop two relationships: One with water and one with the bathroom. Got that right.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join