It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wage Strikes Planned at Fast Food Outlets in 100 US Cities on Thursday (12/5/13)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

beezzer
I just pointed out that the workers actually want to get paid more than the owner of the franchise.

Anyone notice?

I did. and yes, the people I know that are pushing for the 15 min. wage are wanting specifically 15 because thats how much they would need to make to make up for the loss of gov. assistance.

An 8 min wage job would not even begin to cover what they would have to pay out themselves if kicked off assistance.

Pretty sad state of affairs this country is in when one can make a better living off the assistance.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

palmalBlue2

beezzer
I just pointed out that the workers actually want to get paid more than the owner of the franchise.

Anyone notice?

I did. and yes, the people I know that are pushing for the 15 min. wage are wanting specifically 15 because thats how much they would need to make to make up for the loss of gov. assistance.

An 8 min wage job would not even begin to cover what they would have to pay out themselves if kicked off assistance.

Pretty sad state of affairs this country is in when one can make a better living off the assistance.

So you want the workers to be paid as much or more than the ones who create the business and hire the people?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

beezzer

palmalBlue2

beezzer

Anyone notice?

So you want the workers to be paid as much or more than the ones who create the business and hire the people?

You are stating as fact that all franchise owners only make $14.80 and hour?
This site claims much higher returns :CNN MONEY

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

LDragonFire

beezzer

palmalBlue2

beezzer

Anyone notice?

You are stating as fact that all franchise owners only make $14.80 and hour?
This site claims much higher returns :CNN MONEY

Well you win then. Because you found a site where they make more.

For all those that don't, well we should just say "screw you" and have them pay their employess more than they make.

YAY!

Social justice!

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Your against government assistance and your against people making a livable wage? What gives?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

LDragonFire
reply to post by beezzer

Your against government assistance and your against people making a livable wage? What gives?

I'm against people stealing.

I don't make 250,000 a year.

I don't think that is fair.

Care to pony up so I'll be equal with those that make 250,000 a year? I don't do what they do, I don't have the responsibility that the have, I didn't make the investments that they made. . . . . .

But I want it because that is the level of life I want to live.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But your ok with corporations not paying a livable wage? If corporations paid a livable wage more taxes would be collected and more money would go into our economy, granted the rich wouldn't get so rich like know, but they would still make profit, if they are good and competent.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

LDragonFire
reply to post by beezzer

But your ok with corporations not paying a livable wage? If corporations paid a livable wage more taxes would be collected and more money would go into our economy, granted the rich wouldn't get so rich like know, but they would still make profit, if they are good and competent.

I could give a crap.

I worked my ass off so that my services and talents would be marketable.

I make a good wage.

It is my choice.

I don't wish to supplement wages of people who don't care, yet want more.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

beezzer

palmalBlue2

beezzer

Anyone notice?

The short answer is NO, I don't think the lowest level workers should make equal to or more than the ones who busted their tail to make the jobs possible.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by Krystian

A perfect illustration of my disgust with people like you.

"Let them die".

Right, because my clear comment of everyone has the right to live means let them die.

It's less about letting them die and more about letting them just figure out life. If you cant figure out life then you die. Fairly simple concept.

If you spent you life doing nothing, why do you now expect something?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

stargatetravels

macman
reply to post by FlyersFan

This amounts to the "No Gas purchase" days.

About as dumb as it gets.

If I were a manager at any place, the people striking would be fired on the spot.

What? So you don't believe that workers have the right to take strike action to improve their pay and conditions?
I thought that was the beauty of a democratic society and having rights and protection at work.
I mean god forbid anybody wanting to improve their situation, wanting a raise, oh no, that money is only for the billionaire owners and wealthy shareholders.

SMH

I believe the gist of that comment is that the method they are using to do so is foolish as it could cost them their job.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

You must be very unaware of something that happens to every human beings on this planet, Its called "Life"
"Life" happens and it means that not all of us can be well paid, well skilled human beings. There are many obstacles in the way. You shouldnt need this explaining to you.

Most obstacles can be overcome. I am excluding people that obviously fell on hard times. I am, as well as others, are speaking about people that make a lifetime effort to do as little as possible.

Okay, how does someone who cant read or write help themselves in modern america? Hit me. Throw me your perfect story of how motivation made someone rich beyond their wildest dreams.

First of all, it has been pointed out that lack of education is one of the major problems. If someone is truly learning disabled, they can qualify for, and should be on disability. This discussion isn't about them, either.

We are also not talking about people being rich beyond their wildest dreams. We are talking about making living wages.

Otherwise, there are a lot of success stories. Google is your friend.

You are using a lot of non-sequitor arguments.

People that can not read or write can still get taught, and for free. All they have to do is want it. GED classes are free. Adult education is free.

You've not flipped a burger in your life? Maybe you should, speak from experience rather than your deluded view that wage should be based purely on "skill" and not actual hard work endured.

Actually, I legally moved out of my parents' home when I was 15. I was homeless for a while, didn't finish school, hooked up with the wrong people.

One day, I woke up and realized what I was doing. I worked my first job as a waitress, then I worked at Arby's serving fast food. I worked in pizza restaurants both cooking and serving, sandwich shops, ice cream parlors. I owned my first business when I was 18, a used bookstore. Minimum wage was around 4.25 an hour, if I recall. Actually, it may have been less when I got my first job.

I married young, had two children. I stayed home with them for 10 years, then started all over. At one point, I was an electrical subcontractor, and again, owned my own business. When I went back into the job market, I was newly divorced, and went back to Arby's, as well as a sitter and bus driver for a daycare center.

I then moved into a security job making a whopping 5.25 an hour, got my GED, then advanced myself by starting in home healthcare. My pay went from all minimum wage jobs, to something that was more than double that pay. I also homeschooled my children from 7th grade to graduation. I was not afraid to work 2, sometimes 3 jobs at once. All minimum wage, except when I owned my own business. When I owned my bookstore, I also worked at Arby's part time, because I needed more income.

I am still in halthcare, been in my current job, which I love, for almost 12 years. Could I move up? Yes. But, I am comfortable, and happy, and I love my job.

So, care to preach to me some more about flipping burgers? I did my share. I worked hard, got my GED, took some college courses, and bettered myself. So yes, I think I speak from direct experience. I got some education and made higher wages. See how that works?

Oh Jesus, you're not a baby boomer are you? You stink of entitlement and begrudging of new generation's that want a little something for themselves. Like the ability to move out out of their parents house's before they hit 30.

Want a little something for themselves?! EARN IT!

*I* stink of entitlement?! LOL. Have you even read my posts? I am against entitlement. I don't know, am I a baby boomer? You tell me, since you seem so easily able to make judgements about me.

I was able to make it on my own, with literally nothing but the clothes on my back at the age of 15. Why would anyone besides a person lacking any motivation not be able to do the same? All it took was hard work, and free GED classes, and some cheap college courses.

"The fry guy just isnt worth that much money"
Have you heard yourself? You know you're speaking about another human being right?

You, and everyone reading this thread know damn well I was speaking about the job position. Quit with the dewy eyed drama queen act. It wins no points.

Those people dying in africa, they're just not worth saving right because they have no skills? What about the indian rubbish tip pickers? Living their lives picking through the rubbish that the west sends them, why should they be able to earn a living wage? They have no skills.

This is not about Africa and India. Enough of the strawman arguments. Try to stay on topic.

The skill argument in outdated and invalid. Its about time people shelved it and actually got real.

In your opinion. A lot of other people disagree. That's a good thing, IMO.

Getting real means people can work more than one job, can get educated for free or nearly free, and need to get off their butts and hold down 2 or even 3 jobs if thats what it takes. Others with determination can.

edit on 5-12-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

People with degrees can't find jobs because half of them pick ridiculous or useless majors.

Even with a degree, there are many jobs not requiring one, where they could make nice wages, such as were posted at Caterpillar, etc.

The problem is, people whine about the job they want, how much they want to be paid, and literally refuse anything that does not fit their description of the perfect job. I have seen it a dozen times, maybe more.

Sometimes, people have to take that imperfect job, and wait until something better for them opens up.

Instead, whiny brats come out of school expecting their dream job, and it just isn't realistic.

Time to suck it up, Cupcake, and work up the ladder like everyone else.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Libertygal
reply to post by LDragonFire

People with degrees can't find jobs because half of them pick ridiculous or useless majors.

Even with a degree, there are many jobs not requiring one, where they could make nice wages, such as were posted at Caterpillar, etc.

The problem is, people whine about the job they want, how much they want to be paid, and literally refuse anything that does not fit their description of the perfect job. I have seen it a dozen times, maybe more.

Sometimes, people have to take that imperfect job, and wait until something better for them opens up.

Instead, whiny brats come out of school expecting their dream job, and it just isn't realistic.

Time to suck it up, Cupcake, and work up the ladder like everyone else.

Most of this is ridiculous memes, an overcompensation or denial of reality. Over the past 10-15-20 years we have had the highest rate of college attendance and graduation in our history and no they weren't all majors in theater either. The highest number of degrees obtained were in the IT field... the problem is that there are more qualified people than there are jobs in their field of expertise. This is not the same world in which you were able to power your way through and in all honesty those burger flippers dollars aren't as strong as the dollars you made flipping burgers because pay rates have remained stagnant while cost of living has soared.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

The US has experienced record unemployment levels on an ongoing and chronic basis now since mid 2008. The US also "enjoys" the highest corp tax rate on Earth. We now see even more going to hammer business and make doing business in our nation one miserable pain in the butt.

Business makes jobs. No business means no jobs. Miserable business means static job numbers, at best. We've done everything possible to crap on business as a sector of the economy...and then wonder why jobs are scarce?

There are majors that are VERY high demand...but they form the exception. It's a hell of a job market out there right now, whatever someone's field of study and degree may be in.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

SearchLightsInc

Cut tax and handouts - So how then would people survive? By training up to be lawyers? Get real.

You really think people have no way to improve their own life, do you? You have little faith in others.
Even worse, you push for Govt dependance.
This idea that people can't survive unless on the Govt handout is about as weak-minded as it gets.

SearchLightsInc

Its not a defence when its pointing out holes in your logic. If people cant work and earn a living wage then why not just sit on your ass and get welfare? What is the point of working at all if there's no personal benefit?

If there was little to no Govt Handouts, people would find ways to earn what they need. BUt, you would rather they stay slave to the Govt freebies.

SearchLightsInc
But its okay for fast food companies to thieve your tax dollar's because they wont pay their staff a living wage? Hilarious. You must be very deluded in your viewing of the world.

Please go back and read my posts. I said it was wrong in all cases. Govt handouts need to stop in all cases, to everyone.

SearchLightsInc

Yes, but your advocating that people should neither receiving a living wage OR receive top-up's on their minimum wage paychecks,

That is correct.
This living wage crap idea is about as childish as anything that I have heard.
If people want to have more income, they need to earn it. Very simple.

SearchLightsInc
its not "What else have i got" but "Thanks Searchlights, i didn't realise i completely misunderstand basic economics and the human need to survive in the modern era"

Thanks for what? Promoting Progressive carp talking points?
Yeah basic economics has left your thought process a while ago.

SearchLightsInc
You're welcome, always happy to teach.

Yeah, okay then. Sure sure.

edit on 5-12-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Oh really? For instance, it provides my family with more income to spend as we see fit, using the pay that I EARNED and worked for.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Awww, some fatties wont get their greaseburgers today....

I wonder if these fast food workers realize theyre just a number, and with times as they are, their position will be filled within an hour LOL

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
AP has a story from this morning.
The TV News isn't talking about it.

AP News - Fast Food Strikes

In New York City, about 100 protesters carrying signs, blowing whistles and beating drums marched into a McDonald's at around 6:30 a.m.; one startled customer grabbed his food and fled as they flooded the restaurant, while another didn't look up from eating and reading amid their chants of "We can't survive on $7.25!"

Community leaders took turns giving speeches for about 15 minutes until the police arrived and ordered protesters out of the store. The crowd continued to demonstrate outside for about 45 minutes. A McDonald's manager declined to be interviewed and asked that the handful of customers in the store not be bothered.

*** Funny .. the NYC customer didn't even bother looking up when the whistle blowing strikers came in the McDonalds. Sounds like NYC ....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join