It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wage Strikes Planned at Fast Food Outlets in 100 US Cities on Thursday (12/5/13)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
And Friday the headline will say "Job openings at Fast Food Outlets in 100 US Cities on Friday" I am sure they have stacks of applications of people just waiting.
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

jimmyx

Mamatus
Anyone that is still working at a fast food restaurant after high school should either be moving forward into management or finding a trade to learn, going to night school etc etc.

Those working in fast food that expect a living wage are the very definition of "Worthless Eaters". They breed with no chance of affording their often bastard offspring. Those bastard offspring often go on to commit crimes, join gangs etc etc.

Nothing good comes of raising children broke and smelling of McDonalds.

move to Somalia...they don't allow "worthless eaters"...they simply let them die

Jimmy,
You are probably closer to that being true here in the states in the not so distant future then most realize.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

FlyersFan

I'm not sure how that works. Aren't each of the McDonalds or Wendys or _____ (fill in fast food place of choice), owned independently? They are still part of the chain and have to follow the chain rules and pay the main company a certain amount, but isn't each restaurant bought and owned individually??

I"m not sure .... But I think that's what I remember reading ...

If it like McDonalds in the Uk It half anf half, some are independently owned and some are run dircetly from the compnay.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

FlyersFan
[
Absolutely. And the free market determines what is a 'fair wage'.
edit on 12/2/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

The problem is when that fair wage is not enough to live on.

Then what?

You have to take govement handouts to survive.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Move to Somalia? lol. No comparison, those in Somalia have zero choices if they are born to the wrong parents. They have no opportunities ever. War torn Countries are NOT the USA.

So lets look at and define the term "Worthless Eaters".
In my world that would be anyone that does not contribute to the betterment or running of Society. I do not count the disabled, sick or weak.

In my world it includes every parent that has a child they could not afford and were to stupid to either keep in in their pants or to use birth control. The term baby momma and baby daddy come to mind. if those are descriptors used by the parents then they are likely worthless eaters.

No desire to better your life or education level? Well that's on you.

I get to have these opinions because I grew up the child of a couple of worthless eaters that did nothing but leach the system. I have no High School diploma or college degree and I clear 150k a year working about 140 days a year about five hours a day. Was it easy getting here? No. I was homeless for nearly two years, twice!

Last time around I learned a lot of valuable lessons.
To start over again I had to live in a tent for a couple of years and saved every single nickel I made working as labor in construction. I started several of my own businesses (some with no permits) and constantly did a little better than the last year. No family to help.

life is now good but I was 40 years old by the time I started having things work out.

It takes incredible dedication to change ones lot in life, but it is doable...... Not so much in Somalia.

edit on 2-12-2013 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The solution to companies pretending to pay their employees, is to pretend to work!! And from my experience in fast food joints; that is exactly what the employees do.

That's why I shun so called fast food franchises for a locally owned place. I would much rather pay a little more for service and employees that care about my patronage.

I'd rather buy a hot dog or taco from a street vendor than buy a mass produced burger.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

opethPA
Hipster approved stores shouldn't have to pay the same as big stores sounds great on paper but really isn't fair either.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that big companies don't do horrible and unfair things to their employees..they do. I just don't think its fair to say this type of business doesn't have to pay the same as a bigger business.
Sure it is easy to assume that a large business could afford to pay it's employees more but chooses not to but unless we have access to their finances then we can't know for sure.

I hope these people protesting their wages get a the raise they need but I also hope I don't have to read about other people complaining when companies raise their prices to compensate for the employee raises.

Since when does small business = hipster? I said nothing of the sort.

When a company makes huge profits, why does all the money necessarily need to roll uphill? Why can't some of that money reach the base-level workers? I'm not saying pay the fry cook what the CEO makes, but the profit sharing could be a little better. And with just the third quarter profits alone at $1.5 billion, I think they could manage paying workers more, or preset an occasional bonus, without needing to pass the cost on to the consumer. It's a matter of convincing the super entitled tight-fists at the top to give up a mega bonus now and then.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

You have to remember that a lot of the 1.5 billion is spread out among tens of thousands (or more) investors.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's easy.

You fire the protesters, and hire a new bunch of dumdums.

It's not as if there aren't many people in this country who would be willing to take on the job for that pay rate.

Just a fail.
edit on 2-12-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

FatherStacks
When a company makes huge profits, why does all the money necessarily need to roll uphill?

Because in a free market society, companies aren't usually collectively owned.
This isn't a collective ... it's not communism ... it's not a big kibbutz.
The local McDonalds is owned by a person.
That person is the one who took out the loan or invested his own money to buy it.
That person is the one who manages the establishment. It's HIS or HERS.
It's not collectively owned and therefore the paid workers don't get the profits.
They get paid to do a job. Period.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So say the companies give in to the strike and raise the wages (and the food prices). Then in 4 or 5 years they strike again because $15 isn't enough and now they need $30. Then what? Raise their pay and food prices again? Keep it up until no one can afford a $12 chicken nugget?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Why wait four or five years if it worked the first time?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

FlyersFan

FatherStacks
When a company makes huge profits, why does all the money necessarily need to roll uphill?

Because in a free market society, companies aren't usually collectively owned.
This isn't a collective ... it's not communism ... it's not a big kibbutz.
The local McDonalds is owned by a person.
That person is the one who took out the loan or invested his own money to buy it.
That person is the one who manages the establishment. It's HIS or HERS.
It's not collectively owned and therefore the paid workers don't get the profits.
They get paid to do a job. Period.

Yet Coca Cola when I worked for it paid it employees excellent wages and yet Billions still rolled up hill and made those at the top beyond super rich..

You can have the best of both worlds.

Why does paying someone a good wage mean communism?

It possible to make everyone happy.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

crazyewok
It possible to make everyone happy.

No, it's not.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Raising the minimum wage is low hanging fruit for those who don’t understand the unintended consequences of doing such an act. Let me save you 20 minutes of your life.

Raise minimum wage= prices going up= minimum wage recipients being priced out of the market again.

Save yourself the inflation and just drop the subject.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

crazyewok
Why does paying someone a good wage mean communism?

I never said any such thing.

Unless a company has some kind of profit sharing as part of it's benefits package, the profits made by a company belong to the shareholders. They are the ones who take out loans and invest their own money into a company. So they get the profits.

Fast food workers are a dime a dozen. That's just the truth of the matter. The companies can go out into the street and get just about anyone to do the job. Therefore, the jobs aren't worth more the same level f pay as a teacher or nurse. And fast food business' have no need to offer any kind of incentive to work for them. There is no need for them to offer profit sharing. Those kinds of perks are usually saved for jobs that are harder to fill or that require mass production of some kind.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
so people with minimum wage education, who make minimum wage decisions in life, with minimum wage skills, suddenly want more money.

they are missing the needed perspective.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Mamatus

No, it's not.

Well yes it is.

As I said I worked for a multi billion doller compnay.

Even entry level jobs were good wages.

Yes all those at the top of the compnay still had hundreds of millions.

I would call that win win.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

camaro68ss
Raising the minimum wage is low hanging fruit for those who don’t understand the unintended consequences of doing such an act. Let me save you 20 minutes of your life.

Raise minimum wage= prices going up= minimum wage recipients being priced out of the market again.

Save yourself the inflation and just drop the subject.

IDK...This could be a good thing for major cities that end up with 15 minimum wage. It'll get too expensive to live there.

You're right, they don't get the consequences, but I'm sure the higher ups that are pushing for this do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join