It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMERICA WON WORLD WAR 2!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

DeadSeraph

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by crazyewok

Well it seems to me that the war didn't end until we bombed Japan and that the USA,did all alone. Come to think of it the same thing with WWI the conflict didn't end until the YANKS GOT their feet on French soil. Then the Germans and Italians ran away with their tails between their legs. You can't argue with the truth.

prototypical American arrogance preserved perfectly in one post.

Not "American arrogance", but simply an uninformed American, that learned history from Hollywood, and not from actual history books or actually talking to veterans that were there.

So, please do not lump me in with this type of person, you are generalizing yourself, which is just as bad IMO as that arrogant post.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

With programs like Operation Paperclip did America & friends really save the world from Nazis?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Write your own History books.

Then, like us, you can have it any way you want it.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I must make an acknowledgement to the ANZACS who participated in the war effort from the start.

The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.(ANZAC's) fought in WWI and WWII.

We don't go hunting glory or super-humanising our efforts by making million dollar blockbuster movies. We just have our reputation. ANZAC's were virtually considered as Pitbulls with a gun. Because if there was a suicidal job to be done, it was given to us.

The ANZAC's were under the complete authority of the British, and needless to say, if the British had to choose between sacrificing a British soldier or an ANZAC, the choice was simple.

The spirit of our 2 nation's war pride is celebrated every year with a Rugby League game called

The ANZAC Test.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
favorite line from A Fish Called Wanda

Well, would you like to know what you'd be without us, the good ol' U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest #ing province in the Russian Empire, that's what. So don't call me stupid, lady. Just thank me. Otto

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

star for you ...yea ..my first trip through the states I saw the patriotic stuff and could not get my mind around it no matter how much I twisted it ...I was just dumbfounded by the spectacle . I did meet some returning troops from the first gulf war and we compared the benefit packages between canada and the us and they were shocked ..I was amused and realized that canadians are far less patriotic to the flag than americans .

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

DeadSeraph

To minimize the efforts of people who gave their lives in that struggle is incredibly disrespectful.

Something I 100% agree with and why I get fed up and started the rant.

The defeat of Germany, Italy and Japan is down to the blood of American, Australian, British, Canadian, Indian ,Polish, Russian, and New Zelanders (and anymore I forgot).

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657

Well it seems to me that the war didn't end until we bombed Japan and that the USA,did all alone. Come to think of it the same thing with WWI the conflict didn't end until the YANKS GOT their feet on French soil. Then the Germans and Italians ran away with their tails between their legs. You can't argue with the truth.

And this ladies and Gentleman is a example of what makes me

This poster leaves out all the battles and millions dead which made it possible to bomb Japan and make the"Germans and Italians ran away with their tails between their legs", though I disagree strongly with the last part as I doubt all those very brave dead Americans bureid in France and belgium would agree with the germans running away "tails between their legs" and you do a major disservice to them.
edit on 2-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

intrepid
Not going "Rah, Rah" just saying:

The expulsion of the British from the Continent and the fall of France in the spring of 1940 totally changed the circumstances. Canada’s overseas allies had fallen or were in danger of doing so, and the country immediately concluded an agreement at Ogdensburg, New York, with the United States for the defense of North America. Moreover, Canada now stood in the forefront of the war. After Britain, it was (prior to the U.S. entry into the war in December 1941) the second most powerful of Germany’s adversaries.

www.britannica.com...

No thanks for pointing it out, Canada played a huge role. One Im ashamed to say even I may be guilty of forgettening.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Swills

With programs like Operation Paperclip did America & friends really save the world from Nazis?

Now that a whole diffrent discussion

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

whyamIhere
Write your own History books.

Then, like us, you can have it any way you want it.

We do.

Unfortunatly Hollywood only uses the rubbish you write, now we have ignorant British kids who learn fake history off of your films.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Did you ever watch inglorious bastards? My blood pressure rose quite a bit at the idea of only a dozen or so Americans single-handedly overthrowing the Nazi regime. Could be his source of truth.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

DeadSnow

Did you ever watch inglorious bastards? My blood pressure rose quite a bit at the idea of only a dozen or so Americans single-handedly overthrowing the Nazi regime. Could be his source of truth.

To be fair that film I think was never mean to be taken seriously but rather as abit of fun.

But I get what your saying.

The film that makes my blood boil is U-571. It would be like Britain doing the battle of Iwo Jima and re writting it to be a British battle and British Victory.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Nothing out of Hollywood is true....nothing, I repeat nothing. Anything coming from that infrastructure is geared toward one thing, and that is profits.....period. The story will be "adjusted" in whatever manner maximizes those profits. I know many people in that industry, and they will all say the same.

You want truth in a film, then go public access or private historic reproductions. You will quickly see that there is little to no profit in that genre, which is why Hollywood avoids it like the plague. It does not make it right, but makes it reality.

The sooner folks realize that you cannot lean real history from Hollywood, the more enlightened you will all become about the true history. The best advice I can give is to find a historic story/movie/film you want to know more about, then read the author's book, or research the story yourself.

Otherwise, you will never get an accurate account....never.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
We got the High Score

our K : D

is amazing!

Haters hate on

/sarcasm
========

haha

Movies are stupid, so is anyone who gets their history from them. Most American youths today don't know crap about ww2.

Oh and lest we forget, there is a butt ton of American Envy to be truthful I know that'll irk some of you but I really dont gaf.
edit on 2-12-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Well said I think you must have read that American spouting that they saved us Brits when in fact the USA was late to the party and many other countries actually banded together to fight the Nazis.
My Grandad fought in ww2 and has more respect for the Russians because he said "they lost more than any of us".
I think to many people watch war movies and take them as fact.
Lets face it the USA joined WW2 to save their own skin also, the fact that If the nazis got their hands on the royal navy at the time they could have annexed the Americas into surrendering.
Churchill explained this to Roosevelt.

www.pbs.org...

Without any of the major players fighting against the nazis we would have lost.

Although I agree with your last line wholeheartedly, the Soviets deserve neither respect nor sympathy as they were part and parcel in starting the war in the first place, were just as imperialistic as the Nazis, and started out working together.

Molotov-Ribbontrop Pact

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

NavyDoc
the Soviets deserve neither respect nor sympathy

You equating Stalin with all Russia. Yeah ok the Russian Army did ally itself at first to Germany (though this may have been simple survival) but after 1941 a lot of Russians really were fighting for there home.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

USSR and Germany weren't allies. That was a non-aggression pact so that the USSR would stay out of the European war. Which Hitler broke. No one put more into WW2 than the Soviets. Hell they fought bullets with bodies. Flew their war industry far in country to keep them out of German aircraft range.

edit on 2-12-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Pretty sure the Americans defeated Hirohito and Japan in the Pacific.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

crazyewok

NavyDoc
the Soviets deserve neither respect nor sympathy

You equating Stalin with all Russia. Yeah ok the Russian Army did ally itself at first to Germany (though this may have been simple survival) but after 1941 a lot of Russians really were fighting for there home.

Which is why I said "Soviet Union" rather than "Russia" to delineate the individual Russian from the Communist bosses, however, the Russian soldier didn't have much of a problem of invasion and mass murder into Poland, the Baltics, and Finland just like the average Nazi soldier didn't have a problem with what they did so it is rather disingenuous to say that they were just fighting for their homeland when they started out by invading, taking over, and brutalizing their neighbors.

The initial alliance with the Nazis was not simple survival--it was an agreement to carve up Poland and the Baltic states. The Soviets complaining about the Nazis is like one thief complaining that his buddy decided to steal his half of the goods after they robbed a house together.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join