It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMERICA WON WORLD WAR 2!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
And so did Britian and Russia !

American are the worse at this but I see some Brits do it as well. Why do people big up there role in world war 2 to more than what it was and minimise the other major players who played at the very least a equal part?

Surely its disrepectfull to all those who died of all the allied countrys that fought againt Germany, Japan and there allies?

Without Britain destroying the Luftwaffe would not Russia have had a worse time in the opening stages of operation babarossa which was already a desperate defence? Would America not have had a base of operations in Europe? Or a Navy, Airfore and Army of equal numbers to back them?

Without America would Britain not have got the supplies it needed to carry on the fight? And get enough numbers together to invade France and Liberate west Europe? Until Britain could free up its navy in 1944 from the Atlantic and med who would have been able to stand up to Japan?

Without Russia would the allies fighting in westen Europe not have had a vastly more complicated job? With Russia counting for around 90% of German loses would not the defence of Britain and Liberation of Europe been a tougher to almost impossible task?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

crazyewok
Without America would Britain not have got the supplies it needed to carry on the fight?

Without America, would Nazi Germany have got the supplies to start the war in the first place?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Well said I think you must have read that American spouting that they saved us Brits when in fact the USA was late to the party and many other countries actually banded together to fight the Nazis.
My Grandad fought in ww2 and has more respect for the Russians because he said "they lost more than any of us".
I think to many people watch war movies and take them as fact.
Lets face it the USA joined WW2 to save their own skin also, the fact that If the nazis got their hands on the royal navy at the time they could have annexed the Americas into surrendering.
Churchill explained this to Roosevelt.

www.pbs.org...

Without any of the major players fighting against the nazis we would have lost.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Why be offended by some nations people justifiably taking pride in their contribution to the war? Yes, the US was indispensable but there is a good and logical reason to say that, too. The US was the only power in the world isolated by geography to have unlimited industrial production without any impact from war activity to disrupt it. It made the end of the war largely a question of time, not outcome, once America joined and it became clear our whole country was gearing into 100% dedicated War Mode.

I'll also say Britain was indispensable. If they hadn't succeeded in earlier battles and maintained the freedom of the English islands, the rest of the world would have had no foothold with which to launch an attack against Fortress Europe, as it very much was at the time. Even there, the Normandy invasion had two versions of public notification. One to announce success and hope for the war to end some day...and one for total defeat and..who knows what after that. Fortunately, we never had to learn.

....In the Pacific, the Australians were indispensable for some of the same reasons as Britain and to some extent, America as well for isolated and protected production centers. So no Allied Nation was 100% responsible for victory. ALL were needed...and it damn near wasn't enough at that.

National Pride isn't a dirty thing though. It's a healthy thing and encourages positive things to build more of it, IMO.
edit on 2-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think it is a response to the "we saved your asses in WW2" comments that we see all the time from Americans like here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
We ALL saved the world from the Nazis, some payed a bigger price than others but to claim that only one nation saved anyone is just stupid.
edit on 2-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I don't think in terms of pride ..I guess I would say Germany lost and I think it was designed to fail and set up the next phase of the plan .tptb don't care which side wins because they take the position of only furthering their agenda in the end ...boy are they deceived ....peace

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

O dont get me wrong I dont mind national pride.

It when that pride goes as far as ignoreing or pissing on other nations.

Thats what Im haveing a rant over.

I dont deny the USA played a valuable part, but so did Britain and Russia and as you have said Australlia.

But there are some people not just Americans who will out right minimise other countrys roles.

Just look at hollywood films like U 571, a huge insult to Britain.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The allied forces stopped Hitler from taking over the world. No real people really wins a war. Maybe the few people on top win but not the little guy. Look how long it took to recover from the war and how many people had to work their tail off to pay the debt of it. War did help the Economies though, ....but it doesn't work anymore, Wall-street is taking over.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

AMERICA WON WORLD WAR 2!!

You suuuuure did !

Hey guys, thanks for keeping the reserve bench warm for 3 quarters of the game.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Attrition won WW2 as with WW1 , we were all losers and remember that fact every year on armistice day.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Since WWII was known as The War against Facism, it's not too outlandish to suggest that perhaps WWII was actually lost.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
I don't think in terms of pride ..I guess I would say Germany lost and I think it was designed to fail and set up the next phase of the plan .tptb don't care which side wins because they take the position of only furthering their agenda in the end ...boy are they deceived ....peace

That's exactly how I see it. Makes a lot more sense considering all the Nazis that relocated and founded "government" organizations. I bet you in 50 years time no one will be flying flags anymore. Like I stated in an earlier thread, I go where the living standards are favorable.

It's not only a blind love for America, I see loads of people support countries that are 100x worse! Totally Brainwashed into thinking the President (who they assume has total control) would wake up one morning and pardon their debt! We're talking about developing countries where members of parliament are stealing billions & yet they don't even have welfare services, but the local people would still die for them.

For as long as I can remember I've done everything in my power not to end up an average person. Average is stupid, no question about that.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

gortex
Attrition won WW2 as with WW1 , we were all losers and remember that fact every year on armistice day.

Well said. For such appalling events, it's a mystery that people can claim their own nations "won". Certainly the allies accomplished the downfall of Hitler and the Axis powers, but the toll was severe enough that I would hesitate to use a simple term like "win".

As for contributions in both conflicts, anyone bold enough to beak off about their own nations role is probably not worthy of discussing history with in the first place. The war effort in both conflicts were the result of each and every person fighting against the german war machine, right down to the resistance fighters in occupied countries. To minimize the efforts of people who gave their lives in that struggle is incredibly disrespectful.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I like this. Kind of Sums it all up perfectly :-)

World War 2 as seen on Facebook

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
American here. I knew every historical fact that the OP brought up and I also think it would be disrespectful and wrong for a single country to take sole credit for winning WWII. I think the perception might be that America was the reason Germany lost, at least in America, because that is what our romanticized movies and media depictions of WWII make it seem like.
edit on 2-12-2013 by ghostfacekilah00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

edit on 2-12-2013 by ghostfacekilah00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'm a proud American (well, lately it has been more difficult as the days go by), and I am appalled at that "we saved everyone" attitude. It was a true worldwide effort to defeat Nazi Germany. One aspect that I continue to educate uninformed Americans about is the tremendous contribution by the British at Bletchley Park. The nameless code breakers that tirelessly worked to break the German code ciphers, and even recreate an enigma machine purely without an actual working model before them. The builders of the Colossus computer, the men and women that, with only their brains, silently assisted the allies in their efforts, without which many thousands of soldiers and civilians would otherwise have died. Add atop that the volunteer Australian coast watchers that hid in the island jungles, risking their lives at every moment of every day, to relay Japanese military movements to the allies.

All of these silent efforts, IMO, did more to shorten the war than anything else, including the effort to develop the atomic bomb (which was also a worldwide allied effort and not a U.S. only one).

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Well it seems to me that the war didn't end until we bombed Japan and that the USA,did all alone. Come to think of it the same thing with WWI the conflict didn't end until the YANKS GOT their feet on French soil. Then the Germans and Italians ran away with their tails between their legs. You can't argue with the truth.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657

Well it seems to me that the war didn't end until we bombed Japan and that the USA,did all alone. Come to think of it the same thing with WWI the conflict didn't end until the YANKS GOT their feet on French soil. Then the Germans and Italians ran away with their tails between their legs. You can't argue with the truth.

prototypical American arrogance preserved perfectly in one post.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Not going "Rah, Rah" just saying:

The expulsion of the British from the Continent and the fall of France in the spring of 1940 totally changed the circumstances. Canada’s overseas allies had fallen or were in danger of doing so, and the country immediately concluded an agreement at Ogdensburg, New York, with the United States for the defense of North America. Moreover, Canada now stood in the forefront of the war. After Britain, it was (prior to the U.S. entry into the war in December 1941) the second most powerful of Germany’s adversaries.

www.britannica.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join