It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cicada 3301

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The mystery of this "group" has been along for a long time now. I am sure there are some on here that knows about it, and maybe even participated in uncovering the cryptic clues and puzzles they have created.

For those who do not know who or what this is, here is a LINK to what transpired so far.

I am eagerly awaiting January to see if these mysterious clues will continue, and where it will lead.

Anyone else got any interest in this subject?

vvv

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
its not a secret society, its just one of those games that people meet up in real life to figure out puzzles the publisher puts out, kind of like what googles Ingress game. Augmented Reality Games they are called. I thought it was something odd at first too but that is all it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

The ARG aspect of it is a possibility, yet, I do not think so. It is way to complex. Yes, I know Microsoft but out an ARG game a few years back, think with the launch of Halo 2. However, this is in another league. Involving very complex cryptic analyzers, Tor, Darknet, some truely bizarre things. The quotes from obscure works from Crowley et all, further makes this more interesting.

I guess in January we will see what happens.

vvv

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

neobludragon
its not a secret society

It is most certainly some type of organization or secret society:

The stated intent was to recruit "intelligent individuals" by presenting a series of puzzles which were to be solved, each in order, to find the next. The puzzles focused heavily on data security, cryptography, and steganography.[1][2][3]

Much speculation exists as to its purpose. Some claim it is an Alternate Reality Game (ARG), but the fact that no company or individual has taken credit or tried to monetize the puzzles has led some to feel that it is not. Some have speculated that it is a recruitment tool for the NSA, CIA, or MI6.[3][1]
--
The ultimate outcome of both rounds of Cicada 3301 recruiting is still a mystery. The final known puzzles became both highly complex and individualized as the game unfolded, though at least one person has claimed to have "won", but verification from the creator(s) of the game was never made and the individuals making the claim have not been forthcoming with information.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2/12/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Whats funny is remember Horse.ebooks was doing the same thing, and turned out to be just an ARG game. The reason why they make it so hard to figure out the puzzles is cause they don't want the play base to be intellectual. Why? I have no clue, but this is there marketing scheme.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

at the very bottom of the page it says

Categories: Secret societies Think tanks Alternate reality games

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

but this is there marketing scheme.

They started with their puzzles in early 2012, it's highly unlikely that such a scheme wouldn't have been revealed by now. Plus they outright state that the purpose is to recruit intelligent individuals. It couldn't get any more obvious.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Horse.ebooks took a year to release there real information. So I don't doubt this is what they are doing.

Idk maybe longer, but I do know that alot of ARG games start out like this, its how they draw people in to keep playing them. If i was as interested in them I would join in but im not.
edit on 12/2/2013 by neobludragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Here's another great article about Cicada 3301 which I stumbled across only a few days ago actually:

Cic ada 3301: the internet code-breaking mystery that has the world baffled
edit on 2/12/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

I agree mate. This is not just a game. The complexity of this is beyond the scope of normal internet users. Its been suggested it might be a Cia or Nsa recruitment drive. Yet, that I also find impossible. I certainly think this is some organization recruiting elite people for some purpose. ARG is normally not this complicated, so that a huge audience can participate. This Cicada organization makes it very very difficult for the normal person to even get started in this "challenge".

vvv

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

ARG is normally not this complicated, so that a huge audience can participate. This Cicada organization makes it very very difficult for the normal person to even get started in this "challenge".

Exactly, the puzzles are specifically designed to weed out those people with a low level of cryptography and security knowledge, because they are trying to find smart code crackers and hackers.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Exactly, the puzzles are specifically designed to weed out those people with a low level of cryptography and security knowledge, because they are trying to find smart code crackers and hackers.

Exactly, but for what purpose? I cannot see this as just another ARG. There has been unconfirmed leaks of people thats part of this organization. If its legit or not, no one knows. I have a feeling this mystery will still continue for some time, and to be honest, I do not think there will ever be a solution.

vvv

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Exactly, but for what purpose?

Well the most obvious answer would be that they are some type of elitist hacking group, hence why the Wikipedia page has a part about alleged illegal activities of the group. But I really don't know for sure, I guess there is a small chance that it's some sort of "legit" government organization.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
The only reason I think its ARG is because I don't think a secret society would allow all of its information to be posted on a wikipedia nor allow anyone who found out bout them live.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

neobludragon
The only reason I think its ARG is because I don't think a secret society would allow all of its information to be posted on a wikipedia nor allow anyone who found out bout them live.

What are they going to do... kill everyone who participated or was aware of their little puzzles? If they don't release the puzzle to a wide enough audience they wouldn't net enough geniuses.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Hey there, just wanted to let You know that there is a new set of puzzles from the cicada. Started a few days ago. If somebody is interested you can catch up on the already solved parts and everything else on HERE .

I just found about it a few minutes ago myself, but since I am dead tired and it is 3 am here I guess I have to leave it untill tomorrow . If somebody wants to give it a try, good luck

edit on 8/1/14 by Thill because: ......

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

Interesting, ATS claims to gather a lot of intelligent, open minded, mystery hunting, problem solving people, yet nobody cares that the cicada 3301 (a super top secret organization looking/recruiting highly intelligent people for some unknown purpose ) started their new puzzle recruitment cipher again ..
?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
"We want the best, not the followers"

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Looks like the puzzle has re-appeared again.

www.bbc.co.uk...

A global internet puzzle that requires advanced computer skills to solve has reopened online.

It is the third year running that the mysterious Cicada 3301 has appeared, with no clues as to who is behind the puzzle. Some believe it is a recruitment process for a government spy agency, while others believe it could be the work of a bank.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Does anyone have a direct link to the puzzle? I'm a computer science and mathematics buff and a total crypto junkie...I'd like to take a whack at this. So far all I've found was random hash/MD5 codes posted on their twitter feed, along with this image:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join