It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man survived 2 days under sea after shipwreck

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I assume this is an appropriate forum for this story; if not, just move wherever it fits.

Anyhow, a ship sank off the coast of Nigeria, and obviously with it, the crew. However, one of them managed to survive inside an air bubble. On the third day, a body recovery team dived down and found him. Video of his rescue at link.
Personally, I wouldn't have thought there was any chance of survivors. I guess this just goes to show never to assume someone is dead after any kind of accidents or disasters until you have confirmation of a body.

Source

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
there were stories similar to this during WW2, and it proves that humans can survive sometimes when all hope is lost. Sometimes movies are made but they like to bend the story, glad he made it out.....

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I guess that just goes to show that you only depart this world when it is your time to depart it!

Humans have an amazing ability to survive in some extreme circumstances and I wonder what was going through this guy's mind when he was hanging on for rescue.

Did he wonder if he should go ahead and give up thinking nobody would believe there were survivors? Had he set his mind to fighting for his life right up until the end? Did he believe help would ever come for him?Did he make peace with himself and the life he led? Sooooo many questions!

edit on 12/2/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Wow! Luckily, Mr Okene didn't decide he had nothing to lose by trying to find his way out through the dark, topsy-turvy, water-filled ship. In this case, staying put was the right decision, although he couldn't have known that, I suppose.

I'll bet it took him a good long moment to realize that the diver who grabbed his foot & surfaced near him was real! Great story & awesome video, thanks for sharing it!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

…wonder what was going through this guy's mind when he was hanging on for rescue.

Sometimes all you can look forward to is your next breath.

Shudder.

Its pitch dark. Cold, oily, water is all around you. It presses on your chest with each breath. One breath turns into 5, 10, you count them until you lose count. The oil burns your eyes and your nostrils. The cold shivers in your bones. Still, you must breathe, you mast take the_next_breath.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

…wonder what was going through this guy's mind when he was hanging on for rescue.

Sometimes all you can look forward to is your next breath.

Shudder.

Its pitch dark. Cold, oily, water is all around you. It presses on your chest with each breath. One breath turns into 5, 10, you count them until you lose count. The oil burns your eyes and your nostrils. The cold shivers in your bones. Still, you must breathe, you mast take the_next_breath.

I could only imagine "blind terror"... I bet it did a number on his psyche. He must have a will of pure iron to keep himself under some kind of control.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
If you ever find your self in a tight spot, do what he did:

"I don't know what stopped the water from filling that room. I was calling on God. He did it. It was a miracle."

Working with some of the tools he got from the office, he built a rack on top the platform down, praying and waiting.“I prayed about a hundred times. When I was tired, I started calling on the name of God. I was just calling on His name for divine intervention. I started reminiscing on the verses I read before I slept. I read the Bible from Psalm 54 to 92. My wife had sent me the verses to read that night when she called me before I went to bed.”

www.thediversassociation.com...

“Three guys were in front of me and suddenly water rushed in full force. I saw the first one, the second one, the third one just washed away. I knew these guys were dead.”

Turning away from his only exit, Okene was swept along a narrow passageway by surging water into another toilet, this time adjoining a ship’s officers cabin, as the overturned boat crashed onto the ocean floor. To his amazement he was still breathing.

He sensed he was not alone in the darkness. “I was very, very cold and it was black. I couldn’t see anything,” says Okene, staring into the middle distance. “But I could perceive the dead bodies of my crew were nearby. I could smell them. The fish came in and began eating the bodies. I could hear the sound. It was horror.”

Then in the afternoon of May 28, Okene heard them. ”I heard a sound of a hammer hitting the vessel. Boom, boom, boom. I swam down and found a water dispenser. I pulled the water filter and I hammered the side of the vessel hoping someone would hear me. Then the diver must have heard a sound.”

The cook describes his extraordinary survival story as a “miracle” but the memories of his time in the watery darkness still haunt him and he is not sure he will return to the sea. “I don’t know what stopped the water from filling that room. I was calling on God. He did it. It was a miracle.”

www.costaricantimes.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

i wonder how many of the deceased also called to god for help

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

The man who survived did ONE thing different that the others did not do...

He sought God BEFORE he got into trouble.

I cannot find any place in the Bible where it says you may call tomorrow.

Tomorrow may be too late...

"Behold, NOW is the accepted time; behold, NOW is the day of salvation."

"Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near." Isa. 55:6.

I have learned that when anyone becomes in earnest about his soul's salvation and he begins to seek God, it does not take long for an anxious sinner to meet an anxious Saviour. "Ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart" (Jer. 29:13). Those who seek for Him with all their hearts, find Christ. www.biblebelievers.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

and you know this how?
as far as i know there isnt anyone that knows what those other men did before they died and according to the information presented the guy that lived didnt start praying until after he realised he was in trouble
kinda sounds like your full of #.....but if you say so i guess it must be true
edit on 2-12-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

sirhumperdink

Well they like to say that there are no atheists in foxholes and, if that is true, they all did.

That would mean that, according to this case, you have a 1 in 12 chance that the big sky daddy will actually lend a helping hand.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

daskakik

sirhumperdink

Well they like to say that there are no atheists in foxholes and, if that is true, they all did.

theres also the fact that 50.8% of nigerians are christian 48.8% are muslim and the rest practice other religions and a very small portion of that remainder do not practice any religion
sooooooo yeah chances are all of these guys were religious and prayed that god would save them

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
That will do thank you.

If you're planning to participate in this thread with the sole intent of saying how "fake the survivor's god" is, you're missing the point. Let's not turn one of the few "good news" stories into yet another hateful fisticuff or opportunity to do some religion bashing.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

i agree
and in that same spirit lets not let a good story turn into another topic championing religion
thank YOU

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Gemwolf
If you're planning to participate in this thread with the sole intent of saying how "fake the survivor's god" is, you're missing the point.

In all fairness, using the thread with the intent of saying how "turning to god" is the sole reason for this person's survival is just as bad.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Think about it, he spent two whole days in a wet and dark room with no sounds but his own sloshing around. I think he pretty much realized he was dead. What else could you do in such a situation? After a huge mental battle with yourself, you just succumb to the realization that you'll never see another day again.

The look on his face was utter disbelief, he probably thought he was seeing things! Haha, so happy for the guy though. The diver also got quite a fright. Gotta be a grizzly occupation, diving for dead bodies. The last thing he expected was an arm to reach out and grab him.

Still, there were those who didn't make it. May they rest in peace.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Agreed. My request to focus on the actual topic goes for BOTH sides of the coin.

So, let's move along and focus on the actual topic and what we can learn in terms of survival...

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Never Never Never give up.....!!

Brilliant story, video and conclusion for someone who probably thought that was it..!!

Made my Day that has...

PDUK

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

sirhumperdink

Maybe the survivor wasn't the next contestant on the heaven game. The others were told to 'come on down!' ..eer, 'come on up.'

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

The cook survived?! That's awesome.. But I have to wonder, was he really just a cook?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join