It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Does it Matter?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

catfishjoe
So every town or city should have 2 parades to please the butthurts??

What you seem to be having a hard time understanding is that most cities probably have a set of rules, forms and fees so that any group can organize a parade. It isn't that the town or city is organizing 2 parades. They have one.

We are All Americans. Have one f'n parade and EVERYONE celebrate.

That is what the city did.
edit on 10-12-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

catfishjoe
reply to post by daskakik

So every town or city should have 2 parades to please the butthurts?? It will never end. I can see Tulsa or any other city having 8 parades to celebrate the Christmas/Holiday/ other religious celebrations. We are All Americans. Have one f'n parade and EVERYONE celebrate.

Exactly!

Christmas is a time when all people can celebrate different things together.

And just because we call it Christmas doesn't mean we're Christian or think it's Jesus's birthday, any more than when we ask for rum & coke we specifically mean it has to be coca cola.

If you want to celebrate Christmas by holding sombre religious ceremonies and not decorating your home or eating and drinking to excess, thats fine. If you want to celebrate Christmas the old way by eating and drinking and having fun, that's fine too. And even if you want to invite Jack-in-the-Green into your house by decorating it with holly and ivy, and expect Father Christmas to bring you gifts down the chimney, that's fine too.

As an aside I recall a conversation I had with a devote muslim I had last year - he told me he was looking forward to Christmas; he loved all the lights etc .....

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Night Star
I am 55 and it was always "Merry Christmas" until some people decided it offended them so I'll still say Merry Christmas. If it were some foreign holiday of someone I knew, I would call it by its given name, not go off whining that it offends me and change things on them.

I noticed when it was supposed to be politically correct to say Happy Holidays, most people still said Merry Christmas, because that is exactly what it is...Christmas!

We are close in age and as you say, it has always and will always be 'Merry Christmas'. I see no reason to change my traditions.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

I do not celebrate holidays at all. I have had family and friends try and shove it down my throat more times than I can count and then when I stick up for myself I am the bad guy because I will not conform.

The above statement is fact but it doesn't mean I have issue with other people enjoying holidays and calling it what they like. If it doesn't hurt me then why should I care. I say be happy and call it and celebrate it however you like. It's called tolerance and if people don't like it then they can shove on. That's what I do and it works fine for me.

People are so petty about others having joy in there own way. Just because I don't believe in it or enjoy it does not mean I want others to be miserable. What's the point. We should al be happy that each other are happy and be able to express it in our own way without hassle or harassment.
edit on 12-11-2013 by Flint2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just stop worrying about other people, cultures and religions and worry about yourself. It doesn't matter. We celebrate Christmas but if you call it something else I wouldn't give two sh***.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
One town here had a problem with people wanting a Christmas parade and a holiday parade. The town basically said screw you....we will have one parade and call it the "Parade of Lights".

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

That wouldn't happen to be the town in the news story in the OP, would it?

I doubt any town can keep a group of christians from rolling their own.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

daskakik

That wouldn't happen to be the town in the news story in the OP, would it?

I doubt any town can keep a group of christians from rolling their own.

No....its a smaller town down south and I can't find the name. At least Santa will be there.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If you're Jewish. Wish me happy hannuka!!

If you're African American. Wish me happy Kwanzaa.

If you're Christian. Wish me merry Christmas.

If none of those apply....wish me happy holidays.

I'm 38. You can't offend me. Whatever you call.....I respect.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The big day is getting closer!! I'm seeing more and more stories about this. A waste. What about more important news?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ba....humbug. xmas is crap.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
One of the little towns around here they were offended by the Nativity out front of the fire station so it was pulled the next summer they posted that the property was for lease to the highest bidder. $200 was the high till a businessman stepped in and made them agree to a multi year contract so they leased it out in 5 year blocks . By the time the dust settled it's leased out 20 years in advance and paid for. With a beautiful Nativity there every year from 15 November to 15 January purchased by the local businessmen

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The majority of the West has been Christian for over 1500 years. The folks who, in the last 200 years, have managed to take control of damn near everything through international banking and intense tribalism---they despise the name of Jesus Christ, and Jesus despised them. So the battle will continue for the foreseeable future. And yes, it does matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join