It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Does it Matter?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

I am old enough to remember the days when people weren't so anal retentive.

It seems like the 90's were the turning point decade where everyone adopted the habit of having something permanently wedged up their backside in an attempt to forge a diamond from it. I remember the early & mid 90's as relatively carefree around the holidays as a pre-teen/teen. Mid to late 90's, it was like the rug was pulled out from under everyone. Nothing was appropriate anymore, and I'm not just talking about holiday greetings. I don't know WTH happened socially to spur this crap, but I do remember it going into overkill quickly & staying there.

I wonder if this PC holiday stuff is simply an extension of miserable, negative people's mentality. Misery does love company, they say. Actually, I'd be interested in knowing if the PC drum-beaters are statistically more depressed or OCD than everyone else? Kind of going out on a limb here, but could it be something that simple?
edit on 12/4/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Nyiah

Stormdancer777

I am old enough to remember the days when people weren't so anal retentive.

It seems like the 90's were the turning point decade where everyone adopted the habit of having something permanently wedged up their backside in an attempt to forge a diamond from it. I remember the early & mid 90's as relatively carefree around the holidays as a pre-teen/teen. Mid to late 90's, it was like the rug was pulled out from under everyone. Nothing was appropriate anymore, and I'm not just talking about holiday greetings. I don't know WTH happened socially to spur this crap, but I do remember it going into overkill quickly & staying there.

I wonder if this PC holiday stuff is simply an extension of miserable, negative people's mentality. Misery does love company, they say. Actually, I'd be interested in knowing if the PC drum-beaters are statistically more depressed or OCD than everyone else? Kind of going out on a limb here, but could it be something that simple?
edit on 12/4/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

That is a lot to think about, there are many layers to this onion.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

You're right, my apologies.
I seldom take the time to differentiate appropriately between the internal streams of religions.
I'm sure there are serious Christians besides all the Catholics, Baptists and Methodists, just like there probably are many various shades of opinion within Islam, or other religions (like those that once were superseded by Christianity).
However, that's not the topic of this thread...
I merely stated the fact that Christmas was a holiday long before Christianity was established... and it was rarely established in a peaceful way in this parts of the world.

I have to say though, being called "UNscientific" and "INACCURATE" by a Christian made me chuckle

edit on 5-12-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   

ColCurious
reply to post by BO XIAN

. . .

I seldom take the time to differentiate appropriately between the internal streams of religions.

I'm sure there are serious Christians besides all the Catholics, Baptists and Methodists, just like there probably are many various shades of opinion within Islam, or other religions (like those that once were superseded by Christianity).
However, that's not the topic of this thread...

I'm not convinced you understand sufficiently well the realities about and the definitions of "intrinsic" religiosity vs "extrinsic."

EXTRINSICS can be EXTREMELY SERIOUS about their religious beliefs and practices. They can be quite off the wall intense etc. in their religious behaviors. Yet, their religiosity is more or less EXTERNAL to their essence, their core.

That could be misconstrued. Let me try again.

Extrinsic religiosity CAN CONSUME a given individual's core essence. They can be intense religious automatons.

However, their REAL INNER PERSON (one might say their real inner spirit-man) may have NO authentic, viable connection with the ostensible focus of their given faith, religion.

The pharisees of 2000 years ago in Jerusalem were QUITE SERIOUS But they were missing God entirely and Christ had his harshest condemnations reserved for them.

They were NOT at all in COMMUNION, AUTHENTIC DIALOGUE with God the Father, though they claimed to have a corner on that market and reality.

Jesus rightly called them sons of satan because their hearts, their core, their essence was NOT in genuine connection with God.

They were USING RELIGION for carnal, selfish, greedy, power-mongering ends as one would manipulate a tool to achieve an end.

But they were doing so QUITE SERIOUSLY, QUITE INTENSELY.

I don't think that "streams of religions" deals with the reality of intrinsics vs extrinsics either. Streams of religion, to my mind, has to do with opinions about dogma, beliefs, practices.

THOSE can be different and the same for BOTH intrinsics and extrinsics.

And, it's NOT an issue of OPINIONS.

It's an issue of RELIGION PUT ON LIKE A COAT and used like a tool consciously &/or unconsciously in relationship toward God and man

vs

an earnest, heart-felt, balanced, authentic, genuine, reasoned, practical, alive etc. faith focused dialogue with the authentic God Almighty . . .

or, at least with the best qualities of a given religious perspective.

edit on 5/12/2013 by BO XIAN because: clarification and correction

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Nyiah

It seems like the 90's were the turning point decade where everyone adopted the habit of having something permanently wedged up their backside in an attempt to forge a diamond from it.

YOU MAKE GREAT POINTS. That one was very graphically put! Well done. Agreed.

I remember the early & mid 90's as relatively carefree around the holidays as a pre-teen/teen. Mid to late 90's, it was like the rug was pulled out from under everyone. Nothing was appropriate anymore, and I'm not just talking about holiday greetings. I don't know WTH happened socially to spur this crap, but I do remember it going into overkill quickly & staying there.

These blokes upped the ante's on destroying the family; destroying the culture; destroying the old values--VERY DELIBERATELY.

twoday.net...

GIVEN their near absolute control of ALL the news, entertainment media and institutions as well as of the government and the educational institutions and particularly the music industry--IT WAS EASY for them to do.

Great question. I don't know of studies on that issue.

imho,

1. The globalist oligarchy has been deliberately:

A) tweaking up anger in the culture
B) tweaking up chaos

C) tweaking up normlessness, anomie

D) tweaking up hate
E) tweaking up violence

F) tweaking up this interest group against that interest group and all against stability and healthy social interactions and healthy culture

G) tweaking up hostility toward traditional values, beliefs and behaviors and groups

H) tweaking up the shredding of virtually ALL hints and evidences of traditional values

. . . all toward their goals of shredding the older cultures and values in order to create utter chaos . . .

THEREBY enabling their "NEW" (as old as Babylon) World "Order" to rise more easily and more quickly on the LITERAL ASHES OF THE OLD.

THEREFORE, THEIR PC absurdities are merely a tool toward those ends.

The PC absurdities serve to

1. intensify the hostilities between interest groups.
2. create intellectual chaos via the ridiculous nonsense that so much PC-ism is.
3. create relational chaos via the absurdities of PC-ism
4. create personal confusion about identity, value, accepted norms etc. via the outrageousness of PC-ism.

edit on 5/12/2013 by BO XIAN because: highlight

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Nice post!!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
20 more days till Dingdong day!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

clay2 baraka
Happy Kwanzaa, Christmas, Chanukah.. aka HOLIDAYS.. get it now? Americans live in a multicultural society that Christians share with others. December holidays are not exclusive to Christians. Get over yourselves.

Yes YOU (Americans) live in a MC society, so do we here in Europe. In Berlin there are districts with Arabs and Turks only almost, and here in Spain are LOTS of people from the Middle East.

EVERYONE can and does celebrate their holidays. People from Islamic countries celebrate Ramadan, Jews can celebrate their fests and the Spaniards celebrate their countless Saint's Days etc..etc..

So what? We do not have to GET RID OF our own, Western culture and holidays because all the other cultures can and do celebrate their own holidays.

Heck..here is an idea...propose to forbid Ramadan or Kwanzha or whatever other culture's festivals...then see what outrage you may be facing. But WE should get rid of OURS?????

Multiculture is all good and dandy (some say not)...however being multicultural does not require sacrificing OUR OWN stuff. Then it's NOT multicultural, obviously, when "Christmas" and "Easter" are becoming forbidden. You either ARE multicultural or you are not.

edit on 42013R000000ThursdayAmerica/Chicago35PMThursdayThursday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

The difference is saying `Happy Holidays` is more all encompasing then saying `Happy Christmas` since `Happy Christmas` assumes that one is Christian and NOT everyone is. `Happy Holidays` is more easy then saying `happy (insert holiday of choice here)` and missing the mark on each one as the listener dosn`t celebrate anything or celebrates a holiday that the speaker has never even heared of.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

BO XIAN
I'm not convinced you understand sufficiently well the realities about and the definitions of "intrinsic" religiosity vs "extrinsic."

You're right again.

The truth is, I don't really care about what you call an "authentic dialogue with God the Father".
For me this is totally your private business and outside of your magic world this isn't relevant at all.
What matters in the real world is how one (in this case: religious) group interacts with the people of other groups with other believe- and/or value-systems, and with the established law.

What I'd call "nonserious" in this context would be religious folks who don't even follow their own rules (i.e. child-abusing or corrupt Catholics, fundamentalist Muslims or Westboro Baptists who promote hatred, and the meddlings of religious zealotry in politics in general) all of which should be ostracised from both your world and mine.

(All this is off-topic of course, but still interesting)
edit on 8-12-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

ColCurious
(All this is off-topic of course, but still interesting)

I don't think this is off topic at all. The story in the OP is about government wanting to be inclusive of any religious celebration during the month of december and how one religious group reacted to this by wanting to set themselves apart.

I'd say you hit the nail square on the head.
edit on 9-12-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I think its crazy to have two parades. Just have one and call it "Christmas Holiday Parade".

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
My middle daughter, 15 yrs old, calls it " Merry Walmart Day" and actually has some well thought out reasons for it.
Clever girl..

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It's the "Christ" part of Christmas that pisses some people off. Members of some specific groups can not bear to say his name--and they have their own "Holidays" near the same time of year.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Good one Slayer! I kind of like this one also from a talented little guy:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

catfishjoe
I think its crazy to have two parades. Just have one and call it "Christmas Holiday Parade".

Why? It isn't the same people organizing both.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Happy Consumer-Spending-To-Make-Corporate-Pigs-Richer Holidays, everyone.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I remember days when people weren't so weird about it too. When anyone could sing any song in school and it would not offend someone. Now I get to listen to my kid sing songs that mean nothing to no one - just bland. It's always been a mixed holiday - pagan - christian - ?Santa? thing. It is now a shopping and going broke thing so I guess it's what we make of it. In peace.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Referring to the winter solstice festivites as Christmas is no different to referring to cleaning the carpet as doing the hoovering

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

So every town or city should have 2 parades to please the butthurts?? It will never end. I can see Tulsa or any other city having 8 parades to celebrate the Christmas/Holiday/ other religious celebrations. We are All Americans. Have one f'n parade and EVERYONE celebrate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join