It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Does it Matter?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

*grins*

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

argentus...
For some folks, it's a time of year of increased introspection. What I DON'T like is when I perceive a sense of pressure from one group to attempt others to comply with THEIR view of what various holidays mean. It means what it means to you....

Hallelujah!

Now, if progressive / liberal / Democrats would back off, and I don't mean "only" at this time of year, and those that appreciate and celebrate the New Year as a time of where the planning that went into the old year generates the sustenance and fruits to feed the next year, instead of trying to change the world into a bastion with little semblance of reality, the world would be better.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Wtf does progressive liberal democrats have to do with this? I think people like u are the problem. Non offense meant. Please. Love to you and your family. Fu** politics. Its about me and you.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

daskakik

catfishjoe
Let people call it what they want.

Isn't that what they did?

Let people who want to call it "Christmas" parade on one day and let people who want to call it "Holiday" parade on another day.

edit on 2-12-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

Yes...but why have two parades?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Night Star
I am 55 and it was always "Merry Christmas" until some people decided it offended them so I'll still say Merry Christmas. If it were some foreign holiday of someone I knew, I would call it by its given name, not go off whining that it offends me and change things on them.

I noticed when it was supposed to be politically correct to say Happy Holidays, most people still said Merry Christmas, because that is exactly what it is...Christmas!

I fully agree with the above post.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The issue I have is a person feels they are required to give a gift. I don't want to give anymore gifts. I am 50 and gifted out.
It is too materialistic and now I just want to save my money.

I gave in my 20s, 30s, 40s, and now I have to save.

Christmas has become a materialistic nightmare and it should not be this way.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
To most people it doesn't really have much serious bearing. The problem though, is it is another Euro-Christian piece of culture being singled out. Frankly, I don't like that giant menorah towering in front of the White House. Can't say anything about it though because the 2% of the population it represents would go crazy.

I never came across a person that was offended by the term Christmas, it's just the same ol' trouble makers slowly phasing western culture out of the world.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I for one say "Merry Christmas" If it offends someone, tough. I am not going to fall into the trap of political correctness. Here's the thing, it does not or would not offend me in the lease of someone said "Happy Hanukkah" or "whateve Kwanza". If that's what you celebrate, good. I respect that. Plus, I will say it especially if I know it's going to p**s off one of the whiners.

Too many butthurt people wanting to cry about something and getting mad if everyone doesn't agree with them. Grow a pair, toughen up, there are how many billions of people on this planet??? Maybe if so many of these crybabies would just lighten up, be happy with themselves and what they have and not worry about what someone says or trying to change others, the world might be a happier place.
edit on 12/3/13 by opal13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I agree that the entire argument is completely ridiculous.

edit on 12/3/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: video not working

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

catfishjoe
Yes...but why have two parades?

Because the people who want to call it christmas chose to exersice their right and organize a parade with the word in the title. It was the logical result of letting people call it what they want.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

catfishjoe
m.newson6.com...

The above link is a news story about how Tulsa Oklahoma is having a Christmas parade AND a holiday parade so all the butthurt people can have their way.

Another battle over Christmas. We go thru this every year. Is anyone else sick of this crap? With all the bullsh** going on us silly Americans will bicker with one another about "Christmas" vs. "Holiday". I for one could care less. Call it Dingdong day for all I care. It doesn't matter. Let people call it what they want.
edit on 1-12-2013 by catfishjoe because: (no reason given)

Yes it DOES matter. Not that I am religious in the slightest. But there are reasons to celebrate CHRISTMAS nevertheless.

For once, it is our western culture and history. OURS. There is no reason to be political correct to please Islamists or people from other countries or of other faith. It is our country and we have a right to our own culture ad history, and religious "holidays" like Christmas, Easter etc. are a part or that. Some may actively celebrate it by going to church, others merely to relax and to have a few days with their family.

Do you think it's good to sacrifice our culture for others?

Is there a reason WE should be ashamed of our culture, holidays, festivals? Is there a reason you cannot even mention the name "Christmas" anymore because it would upset some immigrants from China or India?

PUHHHLEASE!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

BO XIAN
reply to post by catfishjoe

What does it matter . . . TO WHOM?

Many authentic intrinsic Christians care a lot about such symbolic issues because our values, our faith and we ourselves as individuals are being shoved down the garbage chute as fast as the globalist oligarchy can do it.

Just because it's in incremental frog-in-the-bucket steps does NOT make it less evil . . . less dangerous, less outrageous.

THESE BLOKES ARE spreading tyranny far and wide . . . and their main target is Christianity and Christians--particularly intrinsic, authentic ones . . . they know that their main opposition with the spiritual potency to give them trouble resides in that cohort.

twoday.net...

edit on 2/12/2013 by BO XIAN because: forgot link

Considering Christmas is a holiday that the Christians have stolen from the Pagans, I can see where you would be offended. Happy Holidays, and please study some history.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Happy Kwanzaa, Christmas, Chanukah.. aka HOLIDAYS.. get it now? Americans live in a multicultural society that Christians share with others. December holidays are not exclusive to Christians. Get over yourselves.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Festivus, again, already?

Let's begin with the airing of grievances;

"I gotta lotta problems with you people, and now, you are going to hear about them!"

edit on 3-12-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

It just got longer.

edit on 3-12-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Jerry stiller!!!! Love it!!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

It appears to me that I've studied more history more accurately than many hereon.

LOL.

The Bible is historically accurate though it's purpose was not as a history text.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

yorkshirelad
[...] So why should they have to be renamed, because 0.5% of a recent immigrant population finds it offensive.

I agree and I did not say that at all.

My post was a reply to those claiming "Christmas is Christmas because it always has been Christmas"... which is simply not true.

Christians have no right to act as victims when Christianity itself was the greatest force of repression against indigenous cultures in our history.
edit on 3-12-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

NOPE.

Extrinsic pretend Christians participated in some horrific things . . . just as some native American tribal groups did.

Lumping all called "Christians" into one group is

--disingenuous.
--UNscientific.
--INACCURATE.
--Horrifically and ignorantly biased.
--trollish.
--unjustifiably hostile to a value orientation that has brought more redemptive good, hospitals, schools etc. to the world than all the other value orientations combined.

Rabidly hostile naysayers have no right to inaccurately and unjustifiably trash authentic Christianity and to pretend that inauthentic extrinsic pretend "Christians" are identical to intrinsic authentic Christians when dozens of scientific studies have documented the opposite to be the facts.

It's wiser, when someone is going to pretend that they are basing their arguments on facts . . .

that they get their facts straight, FIRST.

However, there's a large group of folks in rebellion against all that is good, decent and Godly hereon who will continue to cheer such attitudes and mentalities on . . . as long as such is possible.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

BeamMeUpFast
The issue I have is a person feels they are required to give a gift. I don't want to give anymore gifts. I am 50 and gifted out.
It is too materialistic and now I just want to save my money.

I gave in my 20s, 30s, 40s, and now I have to save.

Christmas has become a materialistic nightmare and it should not be this way.

Giving is good for you. but I give all year long, and I agree it is a materialistic nightmare.

I make most of my gifts.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Considering Christmas is a holiday that the Christians have stolen from the Pagans, I can see where you would be offended. Happy Holidays, and please study some history.

Many cultures borrow from one-another, I don't think Christians deliberately stole Christmas.

I am old enough to remember the days when people weren't so anal retentive.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join