It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Prime Air - delivery by drone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I'm actually really surprised that noone has said it's one way to get the majority used to seeing drones in the sky. That was the very first thought that popped into my head when I heard this on the local (Australian) news.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by pheonix358

Drones that work off solar energy?? So as they fly they are constantly charging. If they could pull that off that would be sweet..

Main problem here is that quads and octo's require unrestricted airflow around the propeller areas. It would be extremely difficult to implement solar panels in configuration like this, and get enough surface area to make a difference. LiPo batteries need to be pulse charged, and require substantial amperage, with voltage 11.1-17volts. Tough for a small surface area of photo cells.

I would think that they would develop a hot-swap battery replacement capability/mechanism when it gets back to station. The batteries would be charged off-line and replaced every flight.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
We saw what happened to Domino's 30 minute or less delivery.

Sounds like they would have to have warehouses and drones everywhere to make the 30 minute delivery time, or maybe any delivery . This isn't happening anytime soon. I bet the job of collecting drones in the wild (like the shopping cart crews that used to scan the neighborhoods) will have a fun time. Hostage negotiation skill will be a plus to get the job.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Yeah, I seriously doubt that is going to happen. Now on top of watching out for idiot drivers when anywhere near a road, we have to look everywhere, lest an idiot drone driver crashes into your face. Drones slamming into birds and falling from the sky everywhere. No thanks.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

This system will never get off the ground (pun intended).

Why.....because the spare parts available in one of those things would be easy pickings for someone with a way of catching one while it delivers a package. Therefore, not cost effective.

The limited radius these things would cover from a dispatch warehouse would be better done by a human in a golf cart and they would be able to carry multiple packages too.

PR stunt at best.
edit on 2/12/2013 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Sounds like a perfect scenario for the N.S.A. Working with retailers to cover every city with realtime drone spying on millons ,under the guise of faster delivery .

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

supergravity
reply to post by roadgravel

Sounds like a perfect scenario for the N.S.A. Working with retailers to cover every city with realtime drone spying on millons ,under the guise of faster delivery .

And we will pay for much of it as the NSA hands them the bribe check to cover some of the cost.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Mabye they could teem up with local police and arm the drones and stop crimes wile doing deliveries.Then when they shoot the wrong black guy they cant be sued for wrongfull death.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I noticed that the video shows a wide open area like a backyard or something like that...This has so many problems as it stands its not even funny...Someone called this a PR stunt and i agree.

factor in flag lots, homes that are over grown beyond belief, and the "drone hunters" that will evolve out of this are just a few..I mean we have folks now that follow Fedex and UPS trucks just so they can do their christmas shopping this time of the year.

In full disclosure, I am a Fedex Courier and it can be a nightmare to get to places. I would love to see some of the dogs i deal with try to tackle that thing..

i see a very narrow area of operation, say a cookie cutter neighborhood with a amazon warehouse just down the street..

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The jokes about this are already flying around the net.

There also a good parody version of the original amazon video on
youtube by Taiwanese Animators.You have to click the link as i cant get it
to embed here for some reason.

youtube

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Literally the most stupid and unworkable idea ever floated.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Empte
As someone who recently got a job at ups ,yes let's take more jobs from humans. Not only does this idea have so many potential flaws it could lead to thousands of people losing jobs in the long run. This is another idea that sounds great on paper but not in reality.

thats exactly what they said about the industrial revolution,

embrace the change, dont resist it, cause its gonna happen either way, resistance only brings more pain.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

bkaust
I'm actually really surprised that noone has said it's one way to get the majority used to seeing drones in the sky. That was the very first thought that popped into my head when I heard this on the local (Australian) news.

Exactly my thoughts, desensitize us on seeing them, and allow authorities to blend in easier with the surveillance drones......just another delivery truck sitting on the corner for 2 days, no worries.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

This is one part of the NWO dream, imagine how many more they can kick out so a said machine can do things instead. Imagine how many low flying pieces of junk would be forever buzing overhead each day. Trust Amazon to display there future intentions. If we don't buy, they cannot use such a device.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
wow....some of you guys take paranoia to a new level...obviously, the many logical problems with this will prevent it from being fully implemented, but in certain circumstances it might be cost affective to deliver goods this way.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Like it or not, this is going to happen. Amazon is just thinking out of the box about solutions, because they know it is going to happen as well. By the time this rolls to fruition, the quad idea will be old hat, too dangerous and not energy efficient enough. A new type of autonomous vehicle will have taken it's place. Most likely turbine driven, enclosed, probably looking more like a flying saucer.... and quite powerfull for it's size.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

steaming
reply to post by trollz

This is one part of the NWO dream, imagine how many more they can kick out so a said machine can do things instead. Imagine how many low flying pieces of junk would be forever buzing overhead each day. Trust Amazon to display there future intentions. If we don't buy, they cannot use such a device.

To collectively "not buy", you need solidarity in a majority percentage of a sites customers. If it were true that we could do this, we would be paying a lot less for health care, food, and every other major expense that these corporations produce for us, and know that they can jack the price on them, and get away with it.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Jeff Bezos is a very smart man... He rarely gives interviews, he's extremely private with his business, but decides to give an interview on a prototype item right before Black Friday??? Genius, if you ask me, because he knew that everyone would be talking about Amazon drones the coming days and would likely draw increased activity to the site... I doubt this drone idea will ever happen, but I do like the way Bezos markets his company.. His timing here was impeccable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join