It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI vehicle hits Hatfill, but he gets the $5 ticket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Scientist being watched in anthrax investigation

FBI anthrax investigators' relentless surveillance of a former Army bioterrorism expert took a bizarre turn Saturday when a vehicle driven by an agent hit Dr. Steven J. Hatfill on a busy Georgetown street - and Hatfill wound up with a $5 ticket.

The driver of the FBI sport utility vehicle, Bryan Blankenship, told police he "drove off, striking" Hatfill, but was not charged, according to a police report. Hatfill was cited for "walking to create a hazard."

Here is the rest of the story:
www.newsday.com...

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Pedestrians have the right of way idiot. I hate it how the fbi can do such a blatent crime and some how find a way to charge the victim with a crime. The fbi agent did a hit and run, yet somehow hatfill was charged with "walking to create a hazard". What is walking to create a hazard any way. It is so broad that it could be used on any one who is walking. Also wouldnt the fbi's agent insurance have to pay for any medical damages. He did run over his foot. I am really appaled by this.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yeah this really sucks. The FBI agent obviously was at fault here. Yet somehow they manage to blame the victim. Typical.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I do not see how you can ever be charged if you get run over by the car. The law is pedestrians have the right of way. How did they get around that law?

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Who knows. But if I were hatfill I would get me a good lawyer and sue the crap out of them.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 02:12 AM
link   
having spent several years in and around the DC area I can tell you, ALWAYS watch for pedestrians...those suckers are everywhere!! The agent in question must not have been paying attention whatsoever, because it's pretty hard to miss the mass of people that make up Georgetown

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Not exactly true....

Pedestrians always have the right of way, when in a pedestrian walkway....but not in the middle of the street. If the man in question was jaywalking (i.e. walking to create a hazzard), then it is conceivable that he could get ticketted.

In other words, if the man was walking in a pedestrian crossing, and a car was turning (even if it had a green light) and hit him, then the vehicle would be at fault...

However....

"When Hatfill protested to the FBI agent behind the wheel and tried to snap his picture, the agent pointed a video camera at the scientist and simultaneously hit the accelerator, knocking Hatfill down, Clawson said. That description accorded with statements attributed to both Hatfill and Blankenship in the police report"

THIS is the real travesty here. This describes Assault with a Deadly Weapon, or at the very least Assault!
The agent should have been charged with one of these!

[Edited on 21-5-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Gazroc, I agree. If you're in public, your picture can be taken and you do not have the right to assault someone for this. The agent should be on trial and if I were the responding officer, I'd hit him with every damn thing I could and maybe even make up some crap. Damn, if we could run someone down for snapping our picture, Sean Penn would have a field day.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
the cop did what he did because he probably wants to have his job the next day....*sigh*

new topics

top topics

join