It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans don't trust each other anymore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
40 years ago, about half the people said they trusted "People".

Today only about a third say so !!

I guess with all the scamming going on, many have put up a wall of "Trust but Verify".

Lots of suspicious activities like I.D. theft, wrong information and no recourse, unpunished mistakes and errors, deluges of con games etc. etc. have made people *Look Twice* before swallowing.

And of course, "Bankers" and "Creditors" are people too !!

You can take our word for it. Americans don't trust each other anymore.

We're not talking about the loss of faith in big institutions such as the government, the church or Wall Street, which fluctuates with events. For four decades, a gut-level ingredient of democracy - trust in the other fellow - has been quietly draining away.

These days, only one-third of Americans say most people can be trusted. Half felt that way in 1972, when the General Social Survey first asked the question.

Forty years later, a record high of nearly two-thirds say "you can't be too careful" in dealing with people.

Fuel for Thought......

In God we trust, maybe, but not each other

Do YOU "Trust" People ?

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I sure don't.
Most Americans are brainwashed zombies who'd give up all of their rights for a few government paychecks.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
America? More like the whole world. Blame the #ed up government

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Americans don't trust each other anymore

I don't think it is so much that we don't trust each other as it is that we have been indoctrinated to distrust anyone who doesn't fall into line with certain political doctrines.

Personally, I try not to judge people on such a shallow subject as politics but I know from what I read on the web that many do outwardly. The question unanswered is whether the indoctrination has succeeded in a deeper sense. Again, personally, I don't think so. In fact, I think this is being tossed out to further those divisions... by those who seek to separate us... to render us into the house divided unto itself.

From there, one is left to hope that we, as a nation, have not yet been hogtied.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I do not trust the government, anyone who works for the government, lawyers or doctors just for starters.....Im not sure about Phage, still on the fence...

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The thing is we don't know who to trust anymore.

Deception is everywhere. We are born into this world to be lied upon.
Since our birth, from the Tooth Fairy to Santa Claus and his elves, we've been deceived quite a lot already.

And then, they make us believe we can be happy in life with the accumulation of wealth.

It's hard to trust people in this kind of world.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

redoubt
I think this is being tossed out to further those divisions... by those who seek to separate us... to render us into the house divided unto itself.

Of course it is!! In fact to foment distrust of ATS members among themselves.

It's working....

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Evening,

I blame the entertainment industry and the MSM, injecting fear into everything and everybody at the behest of The State.
Fear is good for business...it makes humans profitable.
Don't believe me?
Look at Black Friday.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
DP
edit on 1-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

The thing is we don't know who to trust anymore.

Okee dokee but, even so, we don't have to distrust everyone. There is a plateaued landscape here, not a steep cliff where one goes from absolute trust to absolute distrust.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well....

40 years ago, about half the people said they trusted "People".

Today only about a third say so !!

It's not that I don't trust ya or anything, but Pics or it didn't happen!

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

redoubt

Okee dokee but, even so, we don't have to distrust everyone. There is a plateaued landscape here, not a steep cliff where one goes from absolute trust to absolute distrust.

Ofc we don't have to distrust everyone. I don't do that. I believe in the human race.
I ultimately believe in the fact that we will become a peaceful race at one time in the future, otherwise we will all perish.

But the way people behave recently, got to make you think twice about giving your trust to somebody.
edit on 1-12-2013 by St0rD because: Wrong spelling

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Ofc we don't have to distrust anyone. I don't do that. I believe in the human race.
I ultimately believe in the fact that we will become a peaceful race at one time in the future, otherwise we will all perish.

But the way people behave recently, got to make you think twice about giving your trust to someone

I admire your vision for the future and hope you're right. I don't think we will ever evolve away from all of our worst traits but I do hope we will learn to handle them with a little more maturity.

Ya know, I get into afternoon traffic and my blood-pressure pops my eardrums... not because I think they are all idiots but because of the stresses that are built into our social system. When I get home, it all goes away.

From that point, I tend to try and take the momentary stresses of those moments into context with my own impatience. I try not to let them go any further... although, I do confess that I really get mouthy when football refs toss pointless flags against my teams and say some stuff that melts the ice in my Pepsi.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

teslahowitzer
I do not trust the government, anyone who works for the government, lawyers just for starters.....

the average person hasn't the means the verify anything they say

edit on 1-12-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

redoubt

I don't think we will ever evolve away from all of our worst traits but I do hope we will learn to handle them with a little more maturity.

Can I ask why you believe we will never evolve away from our worst traits?

And yes, we all have moments of unjustified impatience in this stressful lifetime, but the first step is to observe and accept the fact . You're in the right direction my friend.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Because they are natural to us and to date... after thousands and thousands of years, through a so many highs and lows... empires of absolute brilliance (Greece & Rome) and dark ages of suffering and death, through unending wars and suffering and discovery and invention, we are indeed smarter today as far as what we can build but we haven't really changed as far as what we are underneath.

These physical machines come with some pretty firm firmware... we are what we are. We might be able to overcome ourselves but it will not be because our nature changed. It will be because we finally learned to understand what we are and then face it down... kind of like learning to drive a truck.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I trust people. I'm just selective about which people I trust. Honestly I don't have to trust anyone.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

redoubt
reply to post by St0rD

Because they are natural to us and to date... after thousands and thousands of years, through a so many highs and lows [...] we are indeed smarter today as far as what we can build but we haven't really changed as far as what we are underneath.

Good point you made there, it's absolutely true.

We have been driven by our most brutal instincts for thousands of years, and even today if we have acquired formidable technology we also have made huge steps back in others crucial aspects of life.

Quite frankly, I would tend to believe this is all part of the great book of life. The ultimate goal to experience all there is to experience in order to be perfect. Complete balance in some sense.

The sad part is that we can be stuck in one particular area of evolution for a very long time... just like we have witnessed on this planet.

redoubt
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread985689/pg1#pid17267616]post by

These physical machines come with some pretty firm firmware... we are what we are. We might be able to overcome ourselves but it will not be because our nature changed. It will be because we finally learned to understand what we are and then face it down... kind of like learning to drive a truck.

What if I told you the answer to why there have been so many wars, injustices and hate in the human race lied in something already reachable?

Identification to Mind. To Ego.

Does it tell you something?
edit on 1-12-2013 by St0rD because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2013 by St0rD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
They want us to distrust each other.

The more isolated and distrusting we are, the more tempted we will be to turn to them when we need some help.

So, they do what they can to break down our families, our neighborhoods and our faith communities. Those three networks were how we found support for ourselves in times of need before.

When we can't trust each other enough to form those associations and rely on them, we need government.

You think TPTB don't know that?

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
People's minds have been compromised, there doesn't seem to be black and white anymore. You can try to help someone out and they stab you in the back. I remember when you could trust most people but not anymore, I blame this on the Judicial system. They leave the thieves right back out without much punishment. Even the cops are kind of pissed at this practice.

Look at your avatar xeunchen...should we trust you

edit on 1-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join