It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wage Strikes Planned at Fast-Food Outlets in 100 Cities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Workers in fast food restaurants are still up in arms about how much they should make.

Protests have been going on and it looks like many more are planned for this week.

Apparently the 'instigators' are the Service Employees International Union.

Owner associations are saying the demand for $15/hour is too much and will cause less hiring and more automation along with higher prices.

Perhaps the 'timing' is off because the general economy is not so good right now ?

One interesting (alarming ?) point is that fast food workers' average age is 29 and 1/4 of those people have kids (and not to mention many are part time).

It's no longer a temporary job for kids !!
This is becoming a permanent job for adults !!

Seeking to increase pressure on McDonald’s, Wendy’s and other fast-food restaurants, organizers of a movement demanding a $15-an-hour wage for fast-food workers say they will sponsor one-day strikes in 100 cities on Thursday and protest activities in 100 additional cities.

As the movement struggles to find pressure points in its quest for substantially higher wages for workers, organizers said strikes were planned for the first time in cities like Charleston, S.C.; Providence, R.I.; and Pittsburgh.

The protests have expanded greatly since November 2012, when 200 fast-food workers engaged in a one-day strike at more than 20 restaurants in New York City, the first such walkout in the history of the nation’s fast-food industry.

Wage Strikes Planned at Fast-Food Outlets in 100 Cities

Welcome the NEW U.S. Workforce !!

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This is the reason for "immigration reform" more slave level workers. The average American will not do this job for the pay, so you must have a supply of workers for these positions and there are many, many more low paying jobs open that only certain types apply for. This is a catch 22 that needs a fix and soon. You cannot expect to have $1 burgers and an efficent english speaking team that gets your order right every time. If we can fix this it can solve many problems, but costs will increase to the consumer, But NEVER cut the top level salaries, they might have to cut back on limos.....

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Imagine how big the protests will be if they get twice the federal minimum wage by making a big enough scene in demanding it.....and Fast Food places then stop hiring anyone of an "entry level" skill set.

Anyone think teenagers or High School students are worth $15/hour when Min. is SO far below that? I'd look for someone qualified as best as could be found...and that sure isn't apprentice level. Not in this economy. There are college grads holding degrees applying for those same jobs.

The ones protesting the hardest are likely going to be the most shocked to see they literally protested themselves out of a job entirely.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Imagine how big the protests will be if they get twice the federal minimum wage by making a big enough scene in demanding it.....and Fast Food places then stop hiring anyone of an "entry level" skill set.

Anyone think teenagers or High School students are worth $15/hour when Min. is SO far below that? I'd look for someone qualified as best as could be found...and that sure isn't apprentice level. Not in this economy. There are college grads holding degrees applying for those same jobs.

The ones protesting the hardest are likely going to be the most shocked to see they literally protested themselves out of a job entirely.

Its funny you mention about degreed workers, that's been the case since the 1970's in the north eastern city I grew up in during the rust belt days. All fast food, movie theatre, convenience store and restaurant jobs were filled by 2 and 4 year degree holders who shoved out the traditional workers - it was a city with many Universities and college's - far as I know that particular situation remains unchanged in four decades - in the early two thousands that city had the distinction of the highest per capita gang membership of any city in the entire country - wonders never cease (sarc) as there was no alternative but leaving family and friends if one wanted a different life.

After reading recent post on Aussie fast-food pay rates and fast-food cost I wonder if those asking for more here in US actually have a demonstrable point to make, if I'm not careful on an order for one person nowadays I'm looking at a $7 to $9 dollar tab. That tab is why I generally patronize local eateries where I get much better food at a comparable cost.

I'm thinking its time for a good old fashion trade war or something along those lines.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
How do you say, "do you wont frys with that?"
in a Mexico voice?

bet them idiots will take a wag DROP!
yes idiot for making the pay people get drop fast.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Forget where i read it,
The average walmart employee makes so many thousands of dollars a day, yet only gets paid a pittance of it (8 hour day x 10CAD (roughly), is 80 dollars - taxes = about 65).

Fast food is much the same. They provide the company with thousands of dollars worth of work, and get paid a pittance of it. What do the CEO's of these companies make in a year (100x the average worker, or more?). The least they could do is provide decent benefits to fast food employees.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have only one argument with this take on the wage issue. Everyone is addressing the wrong problem. Fast food jobs and the like were always entry level jobs. You took a fast food job in high school, worked for minimum wage and learned about dealing with work, paychecks, schedules and the like. Then you moved UP.

The real problem isn't that fast food pays minimum wage. The problem is that all the rungs on the career ladder above fast food have been removed. There is a dearth of jobs between entry level and white collar. Everything that could be shipped overseas was - and there went the normal progression to higher skilled jobs. Even my 12 year old can see it. If you ask her what she wants to do after high school, one of the first things she'll mention is "something that can't be outsourced".

To be honest, I don't have the answer to this dilemma. Hopefully better minds than mine can figure out how to bring back those jobs or create new ones.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Society needs, plumbers, software engineers, Firemen, ect. No one needs a burger flipper. If these idiots keep pushing an inflated wage on a market, the market will find a solution and it isn't paying them $15 per hour.

That whole place can be run by a short order cook by himself. Owner/operator and no union idiots required.

Look what happened with cigarettes, raised the price until people either quit or found other means (e-cigs).

Same will happen with fast food places. They will either close or go automated. Then these idiots can go stand around the Home Depot on weekends looking for work.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Unions made workers strike in Wichita at the plane plants.....welll....companies went bust and where are those people now???

Better yet, where are the unions now when they promised soooo much bull dung that they KNEW they couldn't make the companies deliver?

Yep you sheeple.....keep paying those dues and strike when they tell you.... better yet, ask what happens when the company folds.

Go ahead and strike , kill the economy where you're at some more and come back and see how much better your life is in a year from now.

ETA.... There was a time I thought unions were good, but greed got in the way and it always seems like the average worker that gets snagged and hung to dry.

edit on 1-12-2013 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
They just passed a $15 minimum wage for Seattle-Tacoma area but it's headed for a recount as of a few days ago. I can't see them doing anything other than passing it along to the customer and/or laying people off. I definitely can't see them taking a loss in their profit margin. That is if they don't miraculously find the necessary votes to defeat the measure with the recount.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

If you make under 12 dollars and hour you are screwed. You will not be able to afford housing and food in the next two years.

This is not a prediction it is a FACT. Some readers might have seen me post this before in other threads over the past year but the time is quickly coming people. When they raise the wages the system will implode under it own weight.

I will say it again if you make under 12 dollars and hour...............Screwed..............Inflation...............................Thank the progressive mindset.
edit on 1-12-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Josephus
They just passed a $15 minimum wage for Seattle-Tacoma area but it's headed for a recount as of a few days ago. I can't see them doing anything other than passing it along to the customer and/or laying people off. I definitely can't see them taking a loss in their profit margin. That is if they don't miraculously find the necessary votes to defeat the measure with the recount.

Have the workers that are pushing for this thought about what will happen when they become unemployed due to a company or franchise shutdown?

If I were a business owner or a franchisee there is no waay Id compete with the unions when I could do cheaper and better overseas.

Are people not seriously thinking along these lines?

Not being sarcastic, I seen this happen in Wichita with major companies that left thanks to the demands of unions. And people couldn't understand why it happened but were not looking from a business prospective.

They blamed the companies for not meeting union demands and got pissed when the chinese bid for the company, moved production overseas because it was cheaper labor costs with good benefits at no cost [union dues] to the workers.

People seriously want 15 an hour for unskilled labor?

Do they understand that we compete globaly now?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
You know i think its odd that others don't point out corporations pay
more than just their employees with the money they make, they
pay investors as well, what this creates is pretty much a communist
type deal except its like a communist club instead. You join the
club by purchasing the company stock and then your entitled, somehow,
to money you didn't earn, part of someones work. This is what
i think the problem actually is......

Instead of investing in something and getting say a max of your money
plus 10% back and then move on they expect to pay one time and in
return be paid until they die, it is seemingly unsustainable.....

Too many hands in the proverbial pot all want their cut of something
they don't even actually work to build or maintain and yet that is
seemingly perfectly ok, so instead of paying the employees a fair
wage for giving a piece of their life to those places they give
that money to someone who did nothing but give money once......

I do not think this economy can be fixed honestly, too many people
seem to feel entitled to others work and or money.... too many
selfish people.

I really think it should be illegal to take money you did not work for,
money your sweat and blood did not earn, your thought and action
should be required, otherwise your asking for a cut from someones
hard work and then telling them they are too inferior to be
worthy of the money they already earned but was taken and given
to those who did not earn it.

Sure fast food places could mechanize everything but ask yourself one
quick question, why haven't they already? is it because it isn't already
cheaper to do that? is it because they darn well know they are a
huge part of the economy and if they destroy the very economy they
are part of they obviously wont win?

To me this comes down to the reality of investment banking versus the
desire of human beings to be paid for doing nothing, only so many people
can be on the lets get outta work by investing bandwagon before it
puts too much of a drain on employees and causes the collapse of the
entire company, its like paying thousands of workers who never show
up, who never contribute any real work, they just hand you 20$ once
a month and expect hundreds in return....

There again what do i know? not too much really.
edit on 2-12-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This topic was posted here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Normally, we close the later thread, but in this case, the newer thread has many more replies.

**Thread Closed.**

top topics

join