It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pills of the Future: Nanoparticles; Researchers Design Drug-Carrying Nanoparticles That Can Be Taken

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Several types of nanoparticles carrying chemotherapy drugs or short interfering RNA, which can turn off selected genes, are now in clinical trials to treat cancer and other diseases. These particles exploit the fact that tumors and other diseased tissues are surrounded by leaky blood vessels. After the particles are intravenously injected into patients, they seep through those leaky vessels and release their payload at the tumor site...
The researchers' discovery of how this type of particle can penetrate cells is a key step to achieving oral nanoparticle delivery, says Edith Mathiowitz, a professor of molecular pharmacology, physiology, and biotechnology at Brown University.

Pills of the Future: Nanoparticles; Researchers Design Drug-Carrying Nanoparticles That Can Be Taken Orally

Here we have the future of medicine being tested presently. Everyone hates getting injections of vaccines from their doctors. Now just take a pill and relax. I feel all diseases will be treated soon by pills.
The cost of these shouldn't matter; let's not make a profit curing diseases anymore; let's just cure them.

When will this be available in Wal- Mart? The sooner the better.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

Next they'll make nanoparticle pills that will turn off other select genes..

.. in select populations of children in the wombs of soon to be mothers, targeted by various factors such as ethnicity, religious affiliation, social standing, monetary worth, or nationality. It could even be used on enemy populations or soldiers during WAR..

edit on 12/1/2013 by runetang because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

Excellent find. I am reminded of Big Pharma jumping on proteins after Pauling described actin's A and B folding - made a killing for a good long while. 'Course we haven't yet sorted out all the "side effects" aka chronic diseases...

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
"The cost of these shouldn't matter"

True, but if people want/need it, they will want to make a profit.

Anyways this would be soooooo super cool, but seems way too good to be true.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Sounds like another solution that will cause more problems which will then give way to new solutions which will cause more problems and the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round!

Nano tech can used for good...........but for bad as well. The market will decide, and the big corps and big pharma and big militia and big brotha.

I can already see it :
New nano pill with nano tech will make you loose weight, make your belly go nano with Fatno.

or

Gain 5 inches on your penis with nano tech, don't let your peno go nano use 5-Gaino now!
or
Tired? Feeling sad? Are you feeling....? With our new patented nano technology we can gear your brain to feel and perceive the world as you should. Our advanced medical staff and scientist will suit your needs with a tailored pill fit for your specific needs. Your unique and so are our nano pills. Ask your doctor about Nanano Freedom ZX30393.

With all the other endless mad scientist possibilities, I will stay away from nano techs.

Like I said as much good can come from it as crap can...history has shown that......you be the judge.

edit on 1-12-2013 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
After the wonder nanoparticles does the job, can somebody tells me where they will end up? taking into consideration that big pharma wonder pills kills hundreds of thousands of people yearly directly or indirectly due to side effects and thinking that while medicine and science is evolving while our bodies are not so lucky, I just wonder the side effect of having foreign bodies inside us.

So far in order for people to get some treatments the immune system is suppressed in order to allowed certain medications to works, the side effects are very risky and life threatening.

This type of new treatments will need many years of testing before been allowed into practice.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

You nail it, all this advances will create more psychotic people while killing many in their way to profits.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This thread reminded me of a story I started back in 2005...

A shadow comes out of her mouth, her nose, eyes, then melds together, grows and flows towards him. He groans. His eyes dart right, left, to our basement hideout, looking for a way out.

We’ve seen these shadows before. They come out of dead people, fresh dead. I don’t know their range, or how long they live, but it’s the only the time they’re visible. Billions of cyber-nanobots, flocking or maybe, migrating. They came in the Live Right. Thing is, I don’t think the fools even have a de-contamination plan. They’re just winging it.

top topics

join