It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairns, Australia earthquake. Or was it...........?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Firstly Cairns does not have earthquakes. Well generations apart anyway.

Official Earthquake info

There are quite a few comments attached from people who experienced it. If you are familiar with the site you know that most earthquakes come and go commentless or 2 max. But this is something very new to Cairns residents.

Reason for this post.

The seismic activity comes at a depth of 0.0Km. It sounded like an explosion. A very big explosion. We went outside looking for signs of where it came from. Rang friends near by to make sure they hadn't blown themselves up.

What are your thoughts? Your run of the mill earthquake? Or something else? (Meteor, bomb test, etc).

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by groundy056

Would it be connected to this quake in Eastern Indonesia? Large Quake off Eastern Indonesia

Now I'm confused about the actual times reported for these quakes. The Earthquake info site says:
Cairns Quake time: 01/12/2013 09:51:09 GMT? UTC? Isn't that 7:51pm Cairns time?

ABC news site says:
Indonesia Quake time: 10.24am (local (? East Timor ?) time) = 11:24am Cairns time.

When was the Cairns quake actually felt? (in AEST)

edit on 1-12-2013 by captainradon because: Couldn't have been the same quake.

edit on 1-12-2013 by captainradon because: .

edit on 1-12-2013 by captainradon because: ..

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Not true. They have them every so often, there were at least 2 in 2011, so not exactly "generations apart"

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I see the data you speak of. So that is true. But I can assure you nobody in Cairns has actually felt/experienced one in at least 30 years.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by captainradon

The Cairns quake was 8.5hours after the first Indonesia quake your were talking about. How ever only 2-3 hours after the second Indonesia one (6.0).

Cairns quake was felt 7:51pm last night. (No daylight savings)
edit on 1-12-2013 by groundy056 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I can assure you that's not the case - as I follow a facebook where at the time people were going mental about it. It was after the floods, a lot of people felt them, they were larger than this recent one.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The 'signature' produced by an earthquake on a seismograph is quite different to that produced by an explosion in the atmosphere or on the surface. There seems to be no reason to believe it was anything other than an earthquake.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Not so. There was a 4 mag off the North Queensland coast near Innisfail in 2011 and a 5.3 in the Bowen Whitsunday area in 2011.

top topics

join