It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theres No Such Thing as "Spiritual Evolution"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
... in an objective sense, if the realm of the spirit is infinite and eternal, as many of us would say it is.

See, "evolution" at its core, when used in a spiritual context (which differs from the context of physical evolution in significant ways), implies directionality. Ie: you start at A and you are supposed to (for whatever reason) go towards Z. And frequently, or even always, its seen as a one way trip.

But as said, that implies directionality, of which there is none in any objective sense in a -scape of infinite and eternal proportions. "In" such a place, so to speak, there is no universal up or down, left or right. With no objective metric to gauge anything by, which would require a static point of reference that did not flow with the dynamic nature of reality (as in something that was in totality separate from the rest of reality, and if indeed extant, impossible to know of), all points are essentially equidistant from one another, because all distance without that objective metric is subjective based on who is perceiving and experiencing the traversement of that distance.

Another important point, is that also without an objective, static reference point of all, there is no objective significance that can be placed on any location in infinity. Thus an individuals "point A" could very well be someone elses "point Z", and vice versa, and both of those individuals believe that "evolving" towards those respective points is "the way" to go.

And both would be right.

There are no ends in eternity. Infinity is the very essence of endlessness; it does not end, nor did it ever begin. It always has, and always will be. It is, as you and I are. It is every direction and every location. It does not begin at some strange boundary between non-existence and existence like an event horizon, nor does it progress from 0 to some huge number.

And neither does our path 'through it', so to speak. You cannot "start" moving through an infinite -scape. If you are indeed moving through it, you have always been moving through it, and always will be moving through it. Its impossible to leave it as much as it is to enter into it, because it is everywhere, and comprises everything!

So the idea that you begin somewhere and that you end somewhere, cannot be an idea that co-exists in a logical way with the idea of an unbounded spiritual realm and infinite, eternal spirits. The only way it could exist within such a system, is if the individual was a finite, temporary being, that was created, and hence would be destroyed at the terminus of their "evolution", which I dont think is what most people have in mind when they consider "spiritual evolution". But indeed that would be the logical conclusion, assuming there was objective "spiritual evolution", which could only be possible with an objective point of reference that was not part of the sub-system of finiteness itself (thus not being finite, it, the objective point, would be infinite, meaning that those not of it, were finite, and doomed in the strongest sense of the word).

-

I dont know about you, but when I think about the above, it gives me a tremendous sense of freedom. Knowing I truly am not at the mercy of some silly ancient desert peoples god of death and destruction, nor of some nebulous, nondescript and ill-defined concept that runs contrary to what I see as eternal truths, is very mentally freeing.

Honestly, theres no pressure, folks. You dont HAVE to go anywhere, you dont HAVE to do anything! Nothing is, nor will, force you do go anywhere, and you have all the time in eternity to get or not get to wherever you wish to be, taking whatever path suits your fancy.

The journey is eternal. Enjoy it. There really is nothing to worry about. You dont need to angst over whether youll "make the grade" or not.

If you even exist, youve already made it

edit on 12/1/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I have studied some Buddhism and I have practiced meditation many times, I turned to Buddhism because a lot of their views coincided with my own views. One in particular view was that of re-birth. Re-birth (for those who don't know) is the theory that our consciousness will be re-born in a form depending on our karma. I don't believe in exactly what Buddhism teaches but I do to some extent. I believe that consciousness is one thing, one force and it is splintered into each of us, the best way I could describe it is like a mirror, when you shatter the mirror into lots of pieces all of the pieces will have a different reflection of the world, however, it is still the same mirror. When our bodies can no longer support the consciousness inside us, logic dictates that it is not wasted in giving us earthly pleasures in another realm, but to be reused, such is EVERYTHING in the natural world.

Anyway, before I go off topic: I believe that spiritual evolution isn't exactly what it mean, like our spirit side will be a higher form of what it already is. I believe that an awareness of it, not just saying yeah I have a spiritual side, but a deep connection and awareness of our spiritual selves could be considered an evolution in itself. Thank about it, how do we determine that we are a 'more evolved' being on this planet? (I use that term lightly, just see the black friday videos to disprove me on that one! However for arguments sake lets agree we are) We are sentient beings because of self-awareness. This is also a fundamental part of meditation, simply awareness, awareness of our thoughts, body and mind.

So whilst I do not believe in a literal spiritual evolution, since I believe that everyone can obtain a higher state of mind, I do believe that the obtaining of that higher awareness of ones spiritual side could be considered an evolution in it's own right.
edit on 1-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Blow the dust off the mirror and you are almost done.
Realize what blew the dust off the mirror; no more need for 'you'.
Keep living until life is done.

Some of the older and least corrupted systems discuss this cycle.

KPB

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Thanks for the nice post!
I agree, it's not about reaching a particular End.

Love you all brothers/sisters.

peace.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Aye, the very fabric of this reality has been tampered with and so, took us from our natural state (All in one, heaven(infinity) on earth(matter). It was disrupted, that's why we seem to evolute. Christ and maybe others seem/s to have found a way to be the way we are but are not.

Aye, now our knowledge and wisdom is broken. But then it will be whole! And it ought to be whole right now! But because of our own distaste for ourselves and our true origin(which you speak of) we "fell".

The time is near! Hear all you lost tribes of the true original Israel(we all are) turn from your outwardness and thoughtlessness and get to know yourselves! Didn't Jesus say; "Know the Son, and you will know the Father". And didn't Jesus say also that all who does his fathers will are his brother, sister and mother?

Uncolour your rhetoric prejudice through what you've been taught and indoctrinated. All of you!

This is the living word, those who have ears, hear! And those who have eyes, see!

edit on 6/12/13 by Sump3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments people.

I thought more people would comment, but I guess since Im not talking about the latest obama outrage or a video (conveniently included in thread) of cops ruthlessly beating someone, it doesnt grab many peoples attention

Oh well... there is no "one way", after all.

edit on 12/7/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear

Blow the dust off the mirror and you are almost done.
Realize what blew the dust off the mirror; no more need for 'you'.
Keep living until life is done.

Some of the older and least corrupted systems discuss this cycle.

KPB

Problem is, ALL of them ARE corrupted, to the point that they can never reach the claimed goals they have.

This makes them Fatally Flawed, and will be DESTROYED.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Everything is waves.

light gets dense > sounds gets dense > matter
Condensed version^ Pun fully intended

Our poor fluid lighty souls got stuck in these mucky disgusting physical oceans
nonCarbon organisms with VERY different atom:wave ratios merely jumped on an opportunity

I love your idea about evolution, specifically spiritual. It is only from below that you can see what is above. Our state of DeEvolution is a façade, & "lucky" for us the VERY minimal spectrum of waves that humans can see is easily influenced by our own spiritual patterns & ideals.

poor humans didn't stand a chance
edit on 2-8-2014 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

The word "evolution" comes from the realm of science, it implies gradual change based on mutations, it does not mean that we are pokemon and gain new abilites and attributes with additional XP.

Lets keep "evolution" and "spirit" as separate terms.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
DP
edit on 16-9-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I'm likely to be on the bottom rung of the spiritual ladder, hence I agree with this concept that there is no enlightenment and spiritual reward system

In contrast to your thoughts, I'm not sure Im eternal. I think that's a human ego concept.
Perhaps my consciousness can last a while disembodied, but like minerals on earth that came from other stars, I'll end up some where else recycled in energy without my consciousness attached.

But then again I don't know, no one does.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Gaining knowledge and experience is a part of "spiritual evolution", it matures the mind which is a quality of the spirit, but this is at the microcosmic level, the individual incarnation; at the macrocosm, the spirit is eternal and never changes, always itself and itself alone.

What controls your heart beat, breathing, sleep state, etc.? The spirit that never changes. The spirit does not evolve because it is already at the highest state possible and always has been and always will be in my opinion.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. S&F

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Tend to agree with this post

The Spirit... can be described in many many ways. It can be defined as an endless energy ocean who is purely creative and creates different worlds with different rules, constantly, and regulates and balances them to make them perfect, viable for all the consciousness to come to be in each and every one of them.

These consciousness which COME from it, are also unique because of their nature as being individualized (or divided in groups of consciousness) and capable of being aware of themselves and choose their own paths from their own free will. Whether the Spirit is aware of it all, or creates consciousness for the sake of living itself, is hard to tell but it must be the second choice because it explains why when one dies, and go back to this pool, all its attributes are erased. That means his consciousness disappears with his memory and everything that he was. I compare this "transcendence" to a permanent sterilization. Nothing that anyone would want to hear
. This is the hard Truth though, at the very least, the one that is the less INaccurate...

Although it seems very ominous, it is not all black, creativity knows no bound. But and thats where it becomes very interesting, it requires the mind to mature enough and this definitely doesnt come cheap. Positive is good but it is especially negative that makes one evolve, as long as he is strong enough that is.. Also as above so below, the same boundless creativity of the Spirit is at the core of consciousness which means it is accessible by the many consciousness. And thus nothing is true, everything is permitted. The Spirit which is the creator is also the servant for he who knows the right orders.

Like the OP tends to say, there is only one rule for existence: total free will. Those that bind themselves become sick and depraved. Just watch society today, its the opposite of life. Full of restrictions and ignorance, in total disconnection with the Spirit and Nature, in a prefabricated and simplidied bubble that is constantly on the point of bursting.. Free will is what it is, for the very best AND the very worst.

But it is still very unfathomable. Light is attractive but go too close and you burn. It is incompatible with logic and thats why many will never be able to know but at the price of their sanity.
edit on 1-1-2015 by _damon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I'm likely to be on the bottom rung of the spiritual ladder, hence I agree with this concept that there is no enlightenment and spiritual reward system

In contrast to your thoughts, I'm not sure Im eternal. I think that's a human ego concept.
Perhaps my consciousness can last a while disembodied, but like minerals on earth that came from other stars, I'll end up some where else recycled in energy without my consciousness attached.

But then again I don't know, no one does.

The answer to whether you're eternal or not depend's on how you define "I'm" in your statement.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
nm
edit on 1-1-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join