It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman has heartattack - everybody stands there filming!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I understand that people freeze and get paralyzed when an accident happens or when they see someone dying. What I don't understand is the SICK part - pulling out their phone and filming it. Sick stuff to say the least.

Concerning the first part, I read about this. An old man died on a beach near where I live - heart attack. It was summer. Lifeguards arrived and confirmed that he passed away. While waiting for the police and paramedics to take away the body, they covered him with a blanket. The people around the scene (say a few meters away) continued sunbathing and swimming.

A lot of people were also shocked that how could anyone continue to relax near the body of a man who stood there alive just minutes earlier? A psychologist explained this. She said that a lot of people do not have the strength to cope with this kind of situation. The stress they have in their lives, pressures (recession, being unemployed or in debt, having various problems and ailments of their own) make them act like a child - they withdraw completely and act as if nothing happened. They carry on with what they were doing and completely ignore the bad thing they witnessed just seconds ago. It's complete denial.

Now, I can understand that. But those who film a tragedy with their cellphones are obviously sick. They don't withdraw, they get involved in the event in a most perverted way, they see it as a novelty, as an event which seems interesting enough to share on social networks - and guess what - they are part of it. It's their 15 minutes of fame. This is where our civilization has arrived today. This is the effect of reality shows and the 'celebrities' they make. That's why I stopped reading the news, do not visit any news/infotainment portals, why I muted all of my 'friends' on facebook and follow only specific interests.

I also completely understand and don't blame the people who had the urge to punch these sick zombies and smash their cellphones. I know they are not guilty, because their level of consciousness is abysmal, they are worse than retarded, but still...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

I am mad to read this too, but.... To those who say they should go to jail (like in the last episode of seinfeld) well, they had a heart attack and even calling 911 or CPR was a last resort with a small chance they would survive. I don't agree with what by standards did, but this woman was dying and would need some serious help to survive. it is f"d that everyone recorded it, to me that is just really disgraceful!.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The video and photo part of the cell phone is a terrible addiction.

Personally, I don't even know where my cell phone, only calls, NO photo, NO video, is.

I have one son who is completely addicted to his phone and I would call this an illness.

My other children do not use their phones except for necessary calls.

But, the 'types' that feel the need to hang onto their phones, photograph or film everything have a serious 'problem' or even illness as an adult should not feel the need to carry a 'security blanket' around with them.

To film other people, without their consent especially someone who is dying, should be socially unacceptable and those who do should feel ashamed.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Sadly all this is endemic of today's society, people no longer help, they watch and look for images to put on facebook.

Its a really shocking society!

There are still folks out there like me who pitch in and help but we are few and far between, I'm from the age of giving up seats on the bus and tube for an old lady or a pregnant woman, I open the door for a lady or for someone struggling to get in.

I even took the bother of learning first aid just in case, I'm not trying to be a hero, just a useful member of the human race, surely we all have a duty to do that?

Don't even own a mobile phone, don't want to be seen as part of that zombiefied set of morons endlessly looking at that little phone doing texts or looking for someone to waste their money talking to just to be seen on the phone. They actually believe it makes them look important and intelligent yet to some of us they just look like sad lemmings. There of course are those that work from their phone but most are simply living their life by the phone, its their endless connection to facebook, twitter and so on.

Please shoot me if I ever get that stupidly dependant, as a person with severe depression and mental illness I get to miss out on the outside world because the illness has left me unable to easily interact with crowds, no I'm not a mad axe man I just can't handle big crowds. I actually miss being able to go out and experience real people in the cinema or a party or shopping but I can't do it yet I watch from my window or when I can do a little visit out to a corner shop or hospital and all I see are people on that little phone totally ignoring the people around them, totally ignoring the traffic the danger and just failing to interact with others unless they really have to and then its straight back to the phone.

The point, I have an illness that makes me like that, to have made yourself dependant on that phone just is mind numbing, I want reality back, these seek to escape it.....Am I really the ill one here?
edit on 3-12-2013 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
youtu.be... reminds me of this... And I thought that cruelty is a bit exaggerated in this one, yet I was wrong... (english casting is a bit poor)
edit on 3-12-2013 by Raizekas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Let`s hope that those filming the woman, get a slow lingering cancerous death as a Christmas present this year, i wish i was their i would have stopped them from filming. On a different note i was at Preston train station last week, it was very busy a blind man was trying to be helped on the train by a member of the train staff, this guy was being pushed by the public just so they could get a seat on the train, until i roared "excuse me blind man needs a seat first" then they stopped while he got his seat, some people really are like brainless morons.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Ever notice how these "I hate humanity" threads always manage to highlight a small portion of humans displaying undesirable behaviour and paint them as representative of the whole human race?

Where are all the stories showing acts of goodness and kindness? Buried in the sea of misery and negativity I imagine.

By bringing this situation to our attention, you have highlighted a deeper social problem than capable individuals choosing to do nothing to help somebody in need: our addiction to and promotion of stories involving negativity, misery and destruction.

Is this post ironic? You be the judge...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Besides for my parents, and a couple of other people who rushed to help, there were about 20 other people around, and almost all of them stood there like dead zombies, holding their STUPID camera phones out.

So about 4 people surrounding the lady, why do more need to get involved? some of the responses to this are worse than the people filming.

Let`s hope that those filming the woman, get a slow lingering cancerous death as a Christmas present this year,

you go girl
edit on 3-12-2013 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

Edit
Sorry star giver

yep everyone wants likes even the op with the sensationalist title

"Woman has heartattack - everybody stands there filming!"
"Besides for my parents, and a couple of other people who rushed to help,"

Please the hypocrisy on this site is amazing
edit on 3-12-2013 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
our humanity, compassion, rationality these are what separate us from the other animals. what we have here and more and more everyday is people acting irrational, with no concern for their fellow beings whatsoever.

filiming people dying is just sick and is of course a reflection of the pathetic age of the internet we are living in. i felt more alive and happy in the 80's not only because i was a kid and there were no computers or internet so widely available (i had my zx spectrum in 1988), but people were happier, living a simple life.

i dont feel this nowadays, we are slowly losing what makes us human and we are turning to hollow corpses incapable of feelings. this is a social issue alright, a big one.

i remember a movie where there were car crashes and these same people would show up at every accident and stay there watching people die. really creeped me out, this is not much different.
edit on 3-12-2013 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2013 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

PLAYERONE01

mysterioustranger
Well? Only 1 person at a time can perform CPR

Actually CPR with 2 people is more productive:

Well, in actuality, they've come out with lately that chest compression without artificial ventilation is as effective as doing both... especially for elderly...

However, regarding the OP... I lost faith in humanity a long time ago when I was seduced to become a member of Amway. I was doing my first meeting when I heard a loud boom outside my condo. An S-10 blazer went head on with a Honda Civic, leaving the driver in the Honda Civic trapped. I rushed out and the only thing I could do was comfort the victim until the paramedics and fire showed to remove him from the wreckage. My hand covered in the mans blood as I held his hand while compressing a head injury all the while everyone that was at my Amway meeting talking among themselves, chatting about all the potential clients that were walking up on the accident. They were also parading me like I was some Amway hero and how good I'll do because I jumped into action. I quickly asked everyone to leave and never called them back again.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This happened, I believe, in the UK, specifically the Trafford Center, which is less than 10 miles from me.

Morals and disgust aside, I need to point out that the UK has NO protection in law for rescuers or first responders in law, and a small number of cases are brought against the first responder for "Assault and Battery" each year. So far, none have been successful in that the responder has been judged "guilty", but thats down to the intelligence of the judge, not any laws protecting them.

There was a review of this situation, I believe, in 2010 by Parliament, but owing to the fact that there have been no successful prosecutions (only unsuccessful prosecutions), Parliament decided not to alter the established laws.

Whilst there have been no successful prosecutions, subjecting a first responder to the whole rigor of a lawsuit, is extremely stressful (not to mention expensive) for the responder.

Therefore I can understand in part, why people would decline to assist, especially if they are untrained.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Psychology buffs would call this the bystander effect.

I call it sickening, I can't imagine not trying to help someone who seriously needs it.

My dad works in management at a major university. One day in the parking lot a teacher had a heart attack. There was another teacher in the lot that witnessed it but he stood still. My dad ran up and yelled that he needed help with CPR and first aid. The "standing" teacher simply said," I'm not doing anything, what if he wakes up and sues us or something." He stood there and stared while my dad was trying to revive the man. He actually had to yell, "Call 911!" The man died in my fathers arms.

My father and I don't see eye to eye on many things, but this is one of the reasons I'll always respect him. I don't understand how that other teacher can live with himself. Its really sad to think abou humanitythat way...

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The op has pointed out that he was at a place, and an elderly person collapsed from having a heart attack. And according to the OP, no one did anything but pull out cellphones and take videos of such, and is upset that no one did anything to assist the person was later pronounced dead.

While it is not a thing to see during this time of year there are a few things that are pointed out and should be restated:

The first problem is that who really knows anything about first aid these days? How many people are certified to do CPR, or any minor medical treatment for anything? In this modern day and age take a look at who all goes to say an ER, and for what. Most of the time it is for simple things that they could take care of at home, but don’t know how to.

And has been pointed out there really are no protections for anyone who tries to render first aid, and doing such could result in a law suit. Who wants to be punished for doing the right thing, where it could result in losing everything that a person has worked hard for.

The sad part about this, is not that a person had a heart attack and died, rather it is that we as a nation no longer know how to help ourselves or others. We have done it to ourselves and the solution is going to hurt.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It does remind me of the corruption in the US Government. Most americans know the country is going down the toilet and everybody is waiting for someone else to take initiative and do something about it. Apathy is the word applicable for such a situation...I believe.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

jrod

superman2012
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Isn't it legal in the US to sue someone if they try to save your loved one and fail or hurt them in the process of saving their life? The laws make people this way.

We have Good Samaritan laws in the US too.

This is shocking me. I've been CPR/First Responder certified all of my adult life, I've been a lifeguard. Those are pathetic people filming, with the new CPR standards all a lay responder has to do it chest compressions, no more mouth to mouth.(i usually carry a mask just in case).

There are no excuses. I am not a religious person but those who can stand there and film that deserve to go to hell.

Good Samaritan laws do not cover trained professionals, but amatures trying to help. An MD or an EMT or an RN could still be sued for a road side resuscitation if things go wrong. Ironically, our litigious society scares off those most capable of helping.
edit on 18-12-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join