It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS4 Launch: PROOF of human's mental sickness?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Some would argue nothing is wrong with mankind in the 21st century. I say they are wrong.

Most people will not dare to lift a finger against tyranny and corporations abuse, and even let's add planetary destruction, but when it comes to the 'magnificient' release of their lovely console, they will run like their lifes depended on it in order to get one. Then, they will hold it against themselves just like they had found true love. Something they wouldn't even come to think of to do with a human being in need. You know, giving affection throught a hug.

Seriously, there is something incredibly wrong with people nowadays -

And even more disturbing -

PS4 Launch

PS4 Launch #2

Watcha think?
edit on 1-12-2013 by St0rD because: Video link corrected

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Disturbing? Yes. I don't necessarily see this as a human sickness, but rather human nature. People always have, and likely always will, rush on a resource they deem valuable especially if it is perceived to be in short-supply. Think of mob behaviors during riots, etc. Hell, I've seen little children act that way with candy tossed from parade floats. Pettiness and greed sum up most of humanity nicely.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

A games console is a big part of peoples lives because it offers a way out , escapism .
In times like these people want to escape the depressing realities of life and their choice of console will help them do that for the next decade , plus they can connect with their friends without having to leave the house so for some it's a way to keep in touch .

We have an ability to anticipate coming events and build them up to more than they may be so I see no surprise in people hugging their new friend

I myself long since left the silliness of consoles when I became a PC gamer and realised the freedom that platform offered is way superior and cheaper than being tied to a Sega or Sony or even Micro$ .

edit on 1-12-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's a mental illness because there's no reason why consoles even exist for gaming anymore.

As soon as I discovered Steam I knew I was never buying another system.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

FatherStacks
reply to post by St0rD

Disturbing? Yes. I don't necessarily see this as a human sickness, but rather human nature. People always have, and likely always will, rush on a resource they deem valuable especially if it is perceived to be in short-supply. Think of mob behaviors during riots, etc. Hell, I've seen little children act that way with candy tossed from parade floats. Pettiness and greed sum up most of humanity nicely.

I agree humans have always rushed on a ressource they deemed valuable, but when this ressource become a piece of unnecessary material, only there to entertain us, that's when I believe we can question ourselves about the health of our mind.

There is a lot of greed on this planet right now, especially with this enormous society of consumption, but I sincerely believe there will be a time when mankind will understand materalisim doesn't bring happiness.
edit on 1-12-2013 by St0rD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

I think they should have ordered a lot more systems. I was at Freys last week and they had stacks of PS4's and no one was even looking at them. I am perfectly happy with my ps3 system I will wait about a year or so before getting one if I do at all.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
O.K. is it just me or does Black Friday(and game console debuts) seem like the Easter Egg hunt for adults?

I know there are many insane people that go shopping on that day, yadda yadda. However, I have had several middle aged New Yorker females as friends...their reason for going out was the excitement of going. It wasn't even the products as much as it was the finding the products. The swooping in and finding a deal, right before someone else snatches it away.

It's a #ing Easter Egg hunt but with sales and long lines. For adults.

That's my take.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Humans apparently evolved from scavengers. The chancers that raised to the top of their game. Considering the length of time humanity and its forefathers have squirmed on this earth, compared to the time we have been 'civilised and tamed', its of no surprise that certain 'instincts' remain, even for a games console.

This mentality seen in the video is that of western culture. Change that ps4 to a bag of rice on certain parts of the world and you see the same behaviour.

Our instincts, chancers, greed. Our survival.
edit on 1/12/77 by RobbieK because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/12/77 by RobbieK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think the first thing we need to look at is, who constructs the scenario you see in this video. Answer: The corporations. By creating a demand, and then limiting the supply for that demand, you create more than profit. You create a market, and a mindset. This is a microcosm of a game played out on a global scale.

People are by nature, averse to conflict, and peaceful. This doesn't lend well to corporations and governments, who have an agenda. So they use social engineering to override our nature. The problem is, it has to be consistent and perpetual, because we will naturally revert back to our peaceful nature once the fight or flight mechanism subsides.
edit on 12/1/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
When you live with apes, its hard to stay clean.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

St0rD
I agree humans have always rushed on a ressource they deemed valuable, but when this ressource become a piece of unnecessary material, only there to entertain us, that's when I believe we can question ourselves about the health of our mind.

There is a lot of greed on this planet right now, especially with this enormous society of consommation, but I sincerely believe there will be a time when mankind will understand materalisim doesn't bring happiness.

I understand your point, and agree that consumerism and consumption are seemingly at all time highs. Just to play Devil's advocate a little (not to be argumentative or combative), isn't distraction from the world around us in some ways a necessity? I think there is some value in blowing-off steam, and see it as helpful for mental health. Is deprivation from material goods always the right and good thing?

Is there something totally unnecessary that you find of value or interest and would have a hard time giving up, or may cause you to act in a manner you wouldn't normally? Are the people in the video behaving in a reasonable manner? Debatable. Where does one draw the line with essential vs. non-essential material goods? (We)The masses need "bread and circuses" and what happens when they are taken away?

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The issue is that materialistic society wrongly convinces people there's nothing more to life but copious consumption. Ergo, people get really hype about the opportunity to consume new things.

Because, you know, most of us have been taught since birth that the acquisition of material goods is a panacea for whatever else might be wrong in our lives. These poor people are merely seeking solace from their miserable lives through the only way they know how--not by fixing the problems making them unhappy, but by lining up for the latest and greatest distraction.

And TBH, can you honestly blame them for wanting something new? TPTB have made the world really effing boring and miserable for everyone but them. When all these people have to look forward to is sitting in a cubical or jocking a cash register for 40+ hours a week (if they're LUCKY enough to have a job), the opportunity to experience anything but that monotonous grind probably seems like heaven on earth.

IMO, we should have nothing but compassion for these people. One day they'll learn the truth of Ayn Rand's maxim: You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Eventually they'll learn they can't bandage over the problems in their lives with electronic gadgets and shiny new things.

But until that day arrives and they start looking for a way out of this horrid materialistic model, they've got my utmost sympathy... which would probably benefit them a lot more than rioting over another overpriced gaming console.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Just another example in a long line of human indulgence. Look at the long lines for the new IPhones or the almost cult like behavior over a new pair of Jordan's. One could use sports allegiance as an example of humanity's collective downfall. When grown adults cry because their team loses a big game, something definitely seems wrong in the grand scheme of things.

I could cite more examples but I'm off to find every last treasure in Assassins Creed Black Flag.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

FatherStacks

I understand your point, and agree that consumerism and consumption are seemingly at all time highs. Just to play Devil's advocate a little (not to be argumentative or combative), isn't distraction from the world around us in some ways a necessity? I think there is some value in blowing-off steam, and see it as helpful for mental health. Is deprivation from material goods always the right and good thing?

Is there something totally unnecessary that you find of value or interest and would have a hard time giving up, or may cause you to act in a manner you wouldn't normally? Are the people in the video behaving in a reasonable manner? Debatable. Where does one draw the line with essential vs. non-essential material goods? (We)The masses need "bread and circuses" and what happens when they are taken away?

There has been a time I'd have answered 'Yes' to your question.

But now that I've grown older and smarter, I will only thrive towards things that really makes me happy, which means not a lot of material things if you know what I mean.

As for the essential vs non-essential materialism, I'd say the line must be drawn just before we lose our connection with Nature and the true reality of life...

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

OrphanApology
O.K. is it just me or does Black Friday(and game console debuts) seem like the Easter Egg hunt for adults?

I know there are many insane people that go shopping on that day, yadda yadda. However, I have had several middle aged New Yorker females as friends...their reason for going out was the excitement of going. It wasn't even the products as much as it was the finding the products. The swooping in and finding a deal, right before someone else snatches it away.

It's a #ing Easter Egg hunt but with sales and long lines. For adults.

That's my take.

that's kind of true, Any time I go shopping I check around and see if I can find a console. I don't want to buy it as I am waiting a year for them to work the bugs out, but it's kind of a cool I got to see one before they are everywhere.

It's kind of like the Iphone/Apple phenomenon.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Its like Black Friday, the day after you give thanks on Thankgiving, you wake up early and trample people to save $$$ on a flat screen. Humans can be pretty useless when they put their mind to it. PS4 is also an insomnia device, emitting blue light that prevents humans from sleeping properly. All games released will benifit the New World Order. The new xbox also has a camera that never turns off, great illuminati device.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

therealguyfawkes
One day they'll learn the truth of Ayn Rand's maxim: You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Eventually they'll learn they can't bandage over the problems in their lives with electronic gadgets and shiny new things.

You've done a good job summarizing the sad reality of our generation.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There are very few things that I've wanted badly enough that I've had to experience them as soon as possible. Mostly they were movies on opening night or at midnight showings.

There aren't any consumer goods I can think of that I've ever been able to have as the hot new thing.

So far, I've never died yet from not being able to have them right away, but I know some people have died from trying to possess them ASAP. Maybe I have the better deal for having the patience to wait?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Kinda stupid, there are not that many great games out for PS4 yet, so what is the rush. Now for all the people saying "oh i am a PC gamers" "Steam" It does not matter if Most AAA games you like are Sony, or Nintendo. I am sorry But Most PC games go Console anyway, and You simply can not get the same 1st party games on PC (Legally). I sure as hell would rather play Wind Waker HD on Wii U than any PC. PC gaming is dead, look at the Numbers Dollars spent on console games over PC, and I think you will realize there is WAY more money in Consoles. Also Now most of us have Tablets. I use my PC and Laptop maybe 1/3 as much as I used to. Its just much easier to grab my tablet. Than me being tied to something. I have not bought a New laptop in a year and a half and have no plans on it, I will however upgrade my Tablet in the next year or two.

PS4 has the specs to put out some great looking graphics that will rival PC for at least the next 3 years, so yeah PC gaming is a pain, constant updates, graphics cards, etc. I get a console and NEVER look at the specs for a game again. Buy, install, play.

The people in the video, were just plain stupid though. Like I already said there are not that many 1st party, must have game out for XB1, Or PS4, Wii U has the games right now, by a long shot, too bad it isn't selling well.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

It's not as if this is the first time we have seen something on this scale. There have always been issues around supply and demand for many popular items and crazies and always people willing to do what it takes to get their hands on them .....I find the lengths that people went to in the 80's for a mere doll to be more disturbing to be honest!

And by the way I was one of those who secured a PS4 for launch day in the UK.....but I pre-ordered it in June and I sat at home calmly waiting for it to be delivered direct to my door on the day. Admittedly, I don't understand why if someone is willing to go to extreme lengths to obtain a PS4 why they wouldn't just preorder in time and eliminate all the stress, chaos and disappointment.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join