It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand out $1,000 at a mall? Go to jail!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Merry Christmas everyone! Isn't it wonderful to be back in the Holiday season and Holiday spirits. Xmas is right around the corner and it always brings out the very best AND worst in people. (Ask a cop about busiest days of the year for Domestic violence calls...Thanksgiving and Christmas day rank up there).

Sometimes though, it's the BEST the Holidays bring out in people...like this gentleman, for instance. The story says he had a hard year and wanted to share a bit. He wanted to give back and in a nutty, random way. I can see some of myself in this guy.

Serge Vorobyov — who goes by the YouTube handle “Serge the Car Hauler” — threw $1,000 in dollar bills from the fourth floor of the Mall of America rotunda as a choir performed “Let it Snow” on the ground floor below.

Serge said the reason he surprised everyone and tossed out the cascade of cash is because he’s had a rough year and just wanted to help other people on Black Friday.

Now that is a secret Santa if I ever heard of one. What a touching way to do it too.....of course, Mr Grinch had to be close by with a pair of handcuffs.

Unfortunately, Bloomington police did not share his vision of yuletide cheer. They arrested him and charged him with disorderly conduct.

A Mall of America spokesperson said his antics could have caused a major disturbance and someone could have been hurt.

Source

Perhaps their hearts were two sizes too small or their hats on just a bit too tight, but this didn't say he DID cause a disturbance where anyone got hurt or anything bad happened. It simply said it COULD HAVE.

So, coulda-woulda-shoulda-, lets never EVER give anyone the benefit of the doubt...but cuff, stuff and cite the loser for daring to make anyone else a little happier in life.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Uh.. sounds ti me like HE was trying to start a stampede. Throwing money on black friday when people are already trampling each other. I don't believe in arresting people for stupid things, but I won't defend him. He wasn't helping anyone.. people stepping on each other to get 1 or 2 dollars? Why not just hand 10 dollars to random people. Hes lucky no one was injured (if they weren't) or killed.

He is an idiot trying to create a problem and I'm fine with his arrest. He didn't do it to give back.. 1000 bucks says he did it for his youtube channel. "People scrambling for 1 dollar bills on blaxk friday.
edit on 1-12-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

So you figure he's lying to the cops and media about simply feeling generous and choosing this as a method to spread a little to a lot of people at once?

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Beware of the stampeding humans when you are in their habitat.

Not to be confused with the Wildebeest stampede since they are not in the same habitat.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Geez.....if he did that at a Kmart they would have to break out the body bags. No offense to Kmart shoppings for I have bought some blue light specials in the past.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Certainly the inmates ARE in charge of the assylum

And they are getting WORSE.

And it's not just

a

cuku's nest . . .

it's a whole aviary.

edit on 1/12/2013 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The guy needed to apply for a permit to hand out money, than if would have been legal.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I hope they cut this guy a break and/or the jackals of justice inc and the grinches at the Mall of America are put on a leash by the people close to this situation who still have some common sense and decency left.

I see no reason to believe for even a moment that he was actually trying to make people kill each other/themselves.

If somebody is planning that ahead of time, how are they supposed to think they'd get away with it? Did he park in a regular old parking spot with his own vehicle? If so it shows he had no getaway plan and did not try to hide his identity. Surveillance is everywhere at malls; park in a regular spot and they can probably find your license plate if they need to. Even if he ran for it and got away, they'd spot him at the scene and either watch him run to his vehicle or if they lost him, watch the footage in reverse and watch him walk backwards all the way to his parking spot to ID his vehicle and him.

Guy had a bad year and wanted to do something nice. He did it in flashy strip club style: suggests he wanted some attention and love from the crowd and that he hadn't thought of why that could be dangerous at a busy mall and get him in trouble.

No real disturbance or injuries: they have their arrest and media moment so they can feel like they have discouraged others from doing the same thing in the same way, so for god's sake just drop the charges and don't waste any more money and time on this and get back to real work.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Im with Gogo, the way he went about his generous act was irresponsible.

People could have seriously gotten hurt and for what?? 20 bucks max, he was only throwing $1s.

As stated he could have just given it out randomly or if he wanted publicity (which is the story I heard, he was doing it to win back his ex) then why not walk around with a camera and offer to buy peoples meals or shopping.

Giving away money, lovely idea
Throwing it off a balcony to a horde of crazed shoppers, just stupid

Apparently it was his last money so I hope he doesnt get a fine but Im all for giving the generous moron a hefty serve of community service

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Looks like TPTB just wanna beat us down and remove all hope for the little guy. I hate that.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Nothing about this plan sounds like a good idea..
Sorry.

If you want to give people money their are ways to do it that won't create chaos.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Black friday...What a bunch of animals! There is no excuse for such behavior.
edit on 1-12-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yeah dudes, throw the book at this guy. And hey when are they finally going to nail Santa for breaking and entering? Think of the example he's setting for kids; breaks into every house in the world and does it on the same night every year and law enforcement still can't manage to catch him. He's breaking the law and embarrassing the cops and setting a bad example and people could maybe get hurt, so won't somebody think of the children and throw the book at him? "Jolly old elf" my arse.

Come on you grinches, wake the hell up. Stop looking at rules for once and try looking at the people involved. Go watch a Christmas movie. Whatever your religion or lack thereof, it's a holiday with diverse origins that transcends labels and beliefs so there's one for you out there. Christmas belongs to everyone. How about "Scrooged" since this place is full of irascible, cantankerous internet jokers. "Put a little love in your heart" folks.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

Go watch a Christmas movie. Whatever your religion or lack thereof, it's a holiday with diverse origins that transcends labels and beliefs so there's one for you out there. Christmas belongs to everyone. How about "Scrooged" since this place is full of irascible, cantankerous internet jokers. "Put a little love in your heart" folks.

lol.... I couldn't help but laugh at that. Thanks for one of the better ideas on the thread so far. People are so hung up on rules and laws, all to be enforced to the letter without exception or "what if everyone..." nonsense comes into play right away to explain it.

What ever did happen to discretion on anything? Consideration of intent and motive, before just throwing the book at someone? The article does say that ultimately, the man was just cited ....after being arrested and I'll guess, processed through the Police Substation the Mall of the Americas has on-site.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Where is the HONOR, INTEGRITY or DECENCY?

I have HAD ENOUGH of the 'kiddie hands' that the PC knee-pad wearers of the cops demand.

FFS!! MANY KNOW WHAT NEEDS DONE... but HECK< anywhere you try and MERELY DISCUSS what happens, the community/forum NAZI's will SHUT YOU DOWN... FOR GOOD>

when a BULLY uses force religilously, then FORCE is all the BULLY will be BEATEN WITH..

whether actual force, or the FEAR of PHYSICAL FORCE.. many times the coward, a BULLY will acquiesce at the threat of force..

BUT ONLY IF THE THREAT is GENUINE..

as a small boy in REAL AMERICA, decades past, the stories about 'pitchforks, torches, and ANGRY MOBS' was something met with PRIDE!!.. knowing that if things really got bad, then there was that to fall back on.

In the hills of Appalachia around the 1900-1950's time period, the people were NOT afraid to deal with bullies.

ASK ANY OLD FED's about East Tennessee during this period.

I have a relative from the 1930's that STILL resonates my last name around between the Knoxville and Johnson City area. Surrounding his small crew ended with them getting away and the bullies not going home.. ever

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
He probably knew if he stood in one spot handing out money he would be mugged. No good deed goes unpunished.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with being against giving money so people crying "grinch" aren't thinking beyond the money. This also has nothing to do with rules and everything to do with safety.

This time of year people are insane at malls, look no farther than the clips from the US to the PS4 launch GIF from Germany.

On top of that just about every mall has extremely hard floors. Tell me again how you think throwing money from an upper level to a lower level in a mall where you already have crazed people is a good idea? Stand at the door or entrance and hand it out, that is a great idea. Buy everyone in the mall something? Go for it, sounds wonderful. Pay the bills for anyone in the food court, yay holiday spirit.

Doing this just opens the possibility of people getting hurt.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

Uh.. sounds ti me like HE was trying to start a stampede. Throwing money on black friday when people are already trampling each other. I don't believe in arresting people for stupid things, but I won't defend him. He wasn't helping anyone.. people stepping on each other to get 1 or 2 dollars? Why not just hand 10 dollars to random people. Hes lucky no one was injured (if they weren't) or killed.

He is an idiot trying to create a problem and I'm fine with his arrest. He didn't do it to give back.. 1000 bucks says he did it for his youtube channel. "People scrambling for 1 dollar bills on blaxk friday.
edit on 1-12-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

If people are 'already trampling each other', doesn't that sound very much like the organisers of the 'Black Friday event' itself ought to be arrested for disorderly conduct then?

I mean, if this charitable chap can be arrested because what he did MIGHT have caused a problem, surely those that organised the event which DID cause people to scramble and trample each other should get a worse punishment?

The difference is of course that the guy wanted to give money away to people, and the black Friday organisers wanted to take money from people.

Isn't it about time these faceless bureaucrats that pull this sort of crap are told their services are no longer required?

I think it's long overdue..clear out the crap and start again.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

MysterX
I think it's long overdue..clear out the crap and start again.

Agreed as long as that includes the fool customers that act like animals on those days.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's a magical shower of generosity... in movie universes. It's just reckless and silly in real life, like many things that sound like a good idea to anyone who doesn't get out enough. Shoppers by default already have plenty of money. It might have been more productively served as extra generous tips.

edit on 1-12-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join