It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas District scraps alleged 'cross-dressing' day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

District scraps alleged 'cross-dressing' day

Wednesday, November 17, 2004 Posted: 10:20 AM EST (1520 GMT)

(AP) -- A homecoming tradition in which boys dress like girls and vice versa in a tiny Texas school district won't be held Wednesday after a parent complained about what she regarded as the event's homosexual overtones.

As a substitute for "TWIRP Day," the schools ranging from elementary to senior high decided to hold "Camo Day" -- with black boots and Army camouflage to be worn by everyone who wants to participate.

TWIRP, which stands for "The Woman Is Requested to Pay," was hosted by Spurger schools for years during Homecoming Week -- to give boys and girls a chance to reverse social roles and let older girls invite boys on dates, open doors and pay for sodas.

Plano-based Liberty Legal Institute issued a news release Tuesday reporting that it "came to the aid of a concerned parent" over an "official cross-dressing day" in the school district 150 miles northeast of Houston.

"It is outrageous that a school in a small town in east Texas would encourage their 4-year-olds to be cross-dressers," Liberty Legal Institute attorney Hiram Sasser said in the release

Tanner T. Hunt Jr., the school district's attorney, called Sasser's statement "inflammatory and misleading." He said the district never planned or conducted a "cross-dressing day."

"They are a tiny little East Texas school district," Hunt said. "It never occurred to them that anyone could find anything morally reprehensible about TWIRP Day. I mean, they've been having it for years, probably for generations, and it's the first time anybody has complained."

Delana Davies, 33, said she complained after reading a school notice about "TWIRP Day." Davies, whose 9-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter attend Spurger Elementary, said she viewed the day not as a silly Homecoming Week activity, but rather something related to homosexuality.

"It's like experimenting with drugs," Davies said. "You just keep playing with it and it becomes customary. ... If it's OK to dress like a girl today, then why is it not OK in the future?"
CNN

Just another day in Jesusland.

My favorite part is that manly "camo day" is supposed to be the answer!

Yeah, that's not gay!

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This is freaking ridiculous. Are they also going to ban all the episodes of the Drew Carey show that has his brother in a dress?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
What are they going to do about powderpuff football games in Highschool? What a joke.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

"It's like experimenting with drugs," Davies said. "You just keep playing with it and it becomes customary. ... If it's OK to dress like a girl today, then why is it not OK in the future?"

Does it work in reverse? I'm a girl. I wear pants everyday. I'm allergic to pink. Shopping at the mall makes my brain hurt.

According to this logic, I must be a lesbian. Won't my husband be surprised?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandge

Suprised!? Hell no! You just made him the happiest husband in all the world

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Suprised!? Hell no! You just made him the happiest husband in all the world

Well, if I'm *truly* a lesbian, it's not like he's gonna get to participate.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Lol, people need to just chill the hell out somtimes. I imagine the 'concerend parent' would die to have seen what my rather back-woods HS did; a womanless beauty pagent that featured many of the prominent football players. Nothing funnier than seeing a dude with a shaved head in a dress with lipstick on. Nice touch on the switch to cammo tho, what a way to reaffirm their supposedly threatend masculinity for those who were in fear of seeming anything but a chaw-chewing, budwiser drinking hick with an IQ less than the ground clearance of their truck.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Well, if I'm *truly* a lesbian, it's not like he's gonna get to participate.

You could always pretend. He will never know the difference. I can guarantee you he sure as hell wont care

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
speaking of crossdressing day...

there was actually a cross dressing day at my high school. no really.

It was so dumb.

plus its just wrong.......

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think this is ridiculous.

Yes, dressing as a man customarily dresses, and vice versa is going to have an effect on your sexuality.

Yup, and how many men are out there, that are gay, and dress just like every straight guy.

This is frustrating... especially seeing social constructions such as dressing according to ones gender, reinforced; as if it makes a difference on ones sexuality.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
What an absolute moron that is, and the people who bowed to her ignorant fear mongoring.

From reading about it it sounded like a fun day, I'm sure it's alot of fun for the kids. Playing make believe, swapping roles for a day. How do kids have fun? They play make believe, I best bash that kid in the head for playing a robber down the street, it's going to turn him into a criminal.

Since when did cross-dressing get associated with homosexuality anyway? Most cross-dressers aren't even gay. The ignorance of this just makes me want to give that woman a serious kick up the arse.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
It would be a pity if they don't do it. This role reversal day would be very important.

You don't know how difficult it is to be a woman; especially when you are treated as a sex object.

I was treated as a sex object by my ex-girlfriend...it sucks.

new topics

top topics

join