It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else not celebrate holidays?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

CJCrawley
reply to post by winofiend

i dont even drink anymore so its not even an excuse for a bender

Strewth mate, what are you, a poofta?

HA. Even tho I don't drink any more I could still drink you under the table !

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

I grew up a JW too, I never really liked the holidays though. I knew a lot of JW kids felt like they were missing out. I did like xmas trees , I thought they were the most beautiful things ever till I was about 6. I suppose I never was a "consumer" and still aren't and I was fat and ethnic so I was always different and not like the other kids anyway. I have kids now and we bake a cake and do presents for birthdays and we do Christmas when I am with the in-laws but I still don't like xmas.

Anyway, the sad thing about it is that the JW cult is one of the most insidious because instead of sticking you in a walled compound and imposing all their rules, their governing body make you do it to yourself through guilt. All the JWs thinking that it is they themselves that are choosing not to celebrate holidays or take blood transfusions or go door knocking or go to their meetings or stop hanging out with their old "worldly" friends are not doing it with free will out of love for God but out of guilt. So sad.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
well aren't you just a bag of joy!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
How about the One who doesn't have enough $$ to make ends meet. Then the 3.2 kids want some gifts because they have been "good" Who is the pressure on? What if the child gets nothing? Does this mean the child has been "bad"? What did they do? Who doesn't have any pressure? The Ones at a ski chalet. They just mark down their wares and then put up "Sales" signs and guess what? Folks line up at 04:00 hrs. to hand over the $$$ to pay for the ski chalet.

I'm typing this from 'Merica. Here, there has been some talk about ACA/ObamaCare and folks not having the $$$ to pay for it. Yet, watch any Noel Season melee and there are folks there lined up at 'O Dark-30' to purchase 55" plasma teevees. Sure, most that You see 'look' to NEED healthcare more than they NEED something to "sit and watch"...

I have this over-commercialized excuse to clear the shelves down to having only to go to My Wife's work party, then if someOne says something re:Christmas I reply about Kwanzaa or Hanukah, this year I've been working on My Arabic and Latin (there is One ex-Priest, maybe if I ask Him in Latin why He is an "ex" it may be worth the warm beer.

namaste

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A man once told me "holidays are for women and kids" he lit up a cigarette from the one he was already smoking and gave me a cold redneck stare. That man was like 25 and died a year later.

Everyday is a holiday and I'm still partying like its 1999. I'm a guy and yea I've been told my house looks like a refugee camp. I don't care I've got protein and beer stop trying to woman me.

Seriously holidays are an escape and its nice to escape sometimes. Halloween is probably my favorite half naked women everywhere.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
YES AND NO

I celebrate
Christmas, with minimal work involved (for the kids)
New years Eve, the one night I can actually have a few drinks and not be blamed for drinking
Deer hunting season, (Self explanatory)
Fourth of July ( I like the Fireworks)
Kids Birthdays (Must have)
That is about it, the ones I don't Celebrate any more are the following.

My Birthday
Anniversary (don't want to admit how long we have been married )
Boss's Day
And mostly the ones that deal with a day surrounded by candy.

I guess I just don't see the need to go out and buy crap just to hang it up to make me feel good.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Count me in. We do Thanksgiving dinner but typically because my trip the grocery store always seems to magically earn us a free turkey every year. I began doing Christmas differently a couple years ago where the emphasis has been placing it on helping others as opposed to helping ourselves. I do still do some nods to Christmas for my youngest child's sake. She likes the tree and she'll get some cash for "bragging rights" at school because she's at that awkward age of where she wants to fit in and I get that. My eldest child is more like me--doesn't see the point and sees the holidays as being the commercialized yuck that they are in their present state so no need for adaptation there. We actually have discussed this as a family in an open and honest talk and come to these agreements so we're all satisfied.

My kids don't believe in Santa so no worries about some external judge on their characters. They know that I love them, am immensely proud of them, and that I'd move mountains for them if need be everyday. We all agreed that we don't need some commercialized holiday to be a measure of their worth in my eyes. They see it every darn day. I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong in this. I feel like I'm doing it right.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I agree with you. Waste of time and money. And they are totally unrelated to their origins. Hipocrecy, idolizing human beings, you name it

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I love holidays.

I don't kill a tree, we use artificial Christmas trees. We typically put up two large trees (one in the Dining Room, one in the Den), and a couple of small trees flanking the double entry doors. We also have a medium tree in the shop, and another in the stables.

I don't carve pumpkins (often). Instead, we got foam pumpkins that we carved intricate designs into. So, they don't go bad.

Holidays are just a good excuse to lighten up and have a little fun. Everyone is typically on their best behavior (if not drunk), and tries to be a little nicer. We could use a bit more of this I think.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I don’t cellerbrate any of the holidays either. I was raised as a Jeahivah Witness and followed that way if life for many years till I finally left it. I never felt like I ever missed out on anything special when I was a kid my parents were wonderful we always had fun just being together. I saw so many people who had a hard time on these days so many were depressed. It seemed like it always set up these unrealistic expectations that for some were not always meet leading to depression. The commercial aspect as well is completely overwhelming and nauseating. I don’t like being told when to do things either. Today I have to tell my mother I love her, today I have to go out with my partner it and put hearts everywhere, just seems completely overwhelming and not practical at all for real life my husband is in the service industry so he works every holiday. I like doing things my own way on my own time when it works best for my family. It is hard because so many people have a hard time that we dont celebrate them, they look at me like I am an alien lol. Personally I started to make up my own holidays for my family we do crazy things like pirate day we all dress up and have a treasure hunt for the kids and hang out. That may be the reason for them looking at me like I am an alien lol. My response to why I don’t celebrate the holidays is: I am not a Christian I am not a pagan and I am not a conformist I beat to my own drum. reply to: watchitburn

top topics

<< 1   >>

join