It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentine Threat Over Falkland Islands Oil Operations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Argentina has threatened oil businesses operating off the Falkland Islands with fines, confiscations and jail sentences for their executives.

Argentina's embassy in London said new laws had been passed by the country's congress to clamp down on exploration it claims is in breach of UN decisions.

The UK's Foreign Office insisted the activities were legitimately controlled by the islands' government.

Islanders recently voted overwhelmingly to remain a British overseas territory.

The embassy said legislation "provides for prison sentences for the duration of up to 15 years; fines equivalent to the value of 1.5 million barrels of oil; the banning of individuals and companies from operating in Argentina; and the confiscation of equipment

So, they ratchet up the rhetoric yet again, despite the recent referendum by the Islanders in which they voted overwhelmingly to remain part of the UK.

Whilst I doubt this will have much affect over the islands in general, it may put a spanner in the works when it comes to trying to extract the oil as they are targeting the executives & companies themselves.

However, I think this just may end up being beneficial for another SA country to allow ships and equipment to be embarked from there instead, such as Chile for example, so in the end I think the Argentines are just shooting themselves in the foot. They were offered a 50/50 share by the UK Government, despite having no obligation to offer them anything, yet they have turned this down.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The comments from the Argentine Embassy are laughable:

"These attempts are manifestly contrary to Resolution 31/49 of the United Nations General Assembly, which requires the UK and Argentina to refrain from taking decisions that would imply introducing unilateral modifications into the situation of the Malvinas Islands while the sovereignty dispute between the two countries is still pending."

Nothing is "pending" with the UN and the resolution they are on about is not binding in any way

Here is the actual text of the resolution and all it does is call on both sides to settle this amicably. Bear in mind that was also several years prior to the Argentine invasion, so they effectively acted in contrary to this resolution themselves and in a violent manner, which in my opinion negates any further use of this resolution.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
We offered the Argentinians 50% of the profits for zero cost and they declined ...but normally this attracts the usual sort of trolls where we'll get accused of murdering a billion in India over 2-3 years and breaking the Monroe idea a long with even more daft stuff

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Oh yeah, I fully expect that!

I think, at least from our perspective, there is no "dispute" and all the Argies are doing is making themselves look a tad crazy and harming their own economy in the process.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The Falklands have been British since before Argentina existed. It is for the Falkland Islanders to decide if they want to remain British.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

stumason

Argentina has threatened oil businesses operating off the Falkland Islands with fines, confiscations and jail sentences for their executives.

Argentina's embassy in London said new laws had been passed by the country's congress to clamp down on exploration it claims is in breach of UN decisions.

The UK's Foreign Office insisted the activities were legitimately controlled by the islands' government.

Islanders recently voted overwhelmingly to remain a British overseas territory.

The embassy said legislation "provides for prison sentences for the duration of up to 15 years; fines equivalent to the value of 1.5 million barrels of oil; the banning of individuals and companies from operating in Argentina; and the confiscation of equipment

So, they ratchet up the rhetoric yet again, despite the recent referendum by the Islanders in which they voted overwhelmingly to remain part of the UK.

Whilst I doubt this will have much affect over the islands in general, it may put a spanner in the works when it comes to trying to extract the oil as they are targeting the executives & companies themselves.

However, I think this just may end up being beneficial for another SA country to allow ships and equipment to be embarked from there instead, such as Chile for example, so in the end I think the Argentines are just shooting themselves in the foot. They were offered a 50/50 share by the UK Government, despite having no obligation to offer them anything, yet they have turned this down.

Argentina's posturing will only ensure that oil companies will abandon the country in droves if oil is discovered around the islands.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
One word.

"Trident".

That is all.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kinetik

Word

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Seeing as one of our typhoons could down there entire airforce as its so outdated the uk dosnt need to worry and we have a whole squadren stationed there, Argentina couldnt get close to the islands.

Unless Argentina does some major upgrades in the next few years it has no hope unless all our military personel stationed there all few asleep at once.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Gary29
The Falklands have been British since before Argentina existed. It is for the Falkland Islanders to decide if they want to remain British.

And they did, in March - they voted overwhelmingly (99.8%) in favour, with only 1 person voting against!

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
U.K should stop worrying about Falkland islands and start worrying about its collapsing economy , unemployment and people going into abject poverty ... I,d say give away the falkland islands , disband your military and spend all the money on getting your economy running .. The french carrier will protect you

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Argentina has no legitimate claim on the Falklands or any of its potential resources.

This rhetoric and the increase in tensions insults the memory of those who died in both sides during the Falklands conflict.

Sad to see this affecting our relations with other South American countries as Chile, Brazil etc seem to be falling in line against the "European colonials" as they see it.

Perhaps these countries would do better to look at themselves before trying to accuse and isolate.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Where do you hail from?

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Kinetik
One word.

"Trident".

That is all.

No matter how much I object to Argentina's stance I don't think raining down nuclear destruction on them is a very sane idea.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

maddy21
U.K should stop worrying about Falkland islands and start worrying about its collapsing economy , unemployment and people going into abject poverty ... I,d say give away the falkland islands , disband your military and spend all the money on getting your economy running .. The french carrier will protect you

Our economy is at this time stronger than France's.

France's faltering, stagnant Economy is consistently listed as being one of the major stumbling blocks of EU economic recovery.

The Euros go around making statements like the one quoted above, and wonder why they are absolutely loathed and despised in the UK.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Gary29

Kinetik
One word.

"Trident".

That is all.

No matter how much I object to Argentina's stance I don't think raining down nuclear destruction on them is a very sane idea.

I'm not suggesting we actually do it, just instill the fear of god into their populace, such that they force their government to give up their stance.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kinetik

It doesn't matter ...the British economy is in a debt time bomb it cannot escape from , the carrier reference was for queen Elizabeth , you could build it and sell it to one of those rich Asian nations and start building it again to make sure the people have jobs ... This Welfare state has to end.....get those jobless lazy ones some jobs in exchange of welfare. thats the difference b/w asia and the west . Asian nations ask the welfare recipients to work building a productive society and not a bunch of fat lazy Internet warriors who are nothing short of liability ( not aimed at anyone here) ....

Those welfare zombies vote for politicians who give more welfare and not for the ones who wants to change ...Welcome to Democracy...this is what America and the world wants to install everywhere ...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-12-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

maddy21
reply to post by Kinetik

It doesn't matter ...the British economy is in a debt time bomb it cannot escape from , the carrier reference was for queen Elizabeth , you could build it and sell it to one of those rich Asian nations and start building it again to make sure the people have jobs ... This Welfare state has to end.....get those jobless lazy ones some jobs in exchange of welfare. thats the difference b/w asia and the west . Asian nations ask the welfare recipients to work building a productive society and not a bunch of fat lazy Internet warriors who are nothing short of liability ( not aimed at anyone here) ....

www.youtube.com...

Well it does matter, simply because I won't accept economic advice from the French, who's stagnant economy continues to pull Europe down whilst they sponge off of Germany, and I certainly won't accept it if you are a yank.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kinetik

am not French or yank or anywhere in Europe for that matter

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

maddy21
reply to post by Kinetik

am not French or yank or anywhere in Europe for that matter

Do feel free to reveal what the 3rd world pit you call home is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join