It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attitudes of wars in American Literature.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm in a lit class by myself so I can't discuss with classmates on questions and have discussions so I know you guys can make good substantial conversations here. I need some help my friends and I'd like your views on this question: How does American literature written in the period of and between the Civil War and the Second World War reflect (diverse) American attitudes toward those wars? Thanks for your insights.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RobFox

I think your best course of action is to begin by gathering useful names of authors and works.
People here could probably help with that- I can't, because my literary knowledge is on the wrong side of the Atlantic.
Then you could read them, form some preliminary ideas of your own, and then come back here to talk them over.

I do sympathise, though. I spent two years (16-17) as sole member of the Latin class

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RobFox

One side of my family lived in a small, out of the way town during the Civil War. They wrote a letter to another family member about how the war came to their town one day.

In the middle of town was a small creek spanned by a rickety bridge. The soldiers column came to a halt when they realized their horse drawn cannons were too heavy for the bridge.

They announced to the town the need to reinforce the bridge so they could cross and continue on their way. At the appointed time none of the townsfolk showed up to help the soldiers.

The attitude in the letter summed up the towns viewpoint. Any war was considered wrong in the eyes of God, (remember the era) and none should help those fighting it to further their cause, even if disgraced by others for not doing so.

After several days the soldiers, working by themselves, felled trees and hued them to reinforce the bridge supports. When they were done they moved on, late to their battle engagement.

The town went on about its routine with out helping or denying their passing, they didn't feed or shelter the soldiers who bivouacked outside town and made do on their own.

I don't know about other places and peoples or wars, but I was honored to read that letter from a distant ancestor about their attitude that day when war came to town.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
LMAO you lazy bugger

Your gonna take the ideas/thoughts you get on here and put them on paper as your own haha.

I wish I was on ATS and had of thought of doing this when I was studying

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I just want to gather info so I can see other people's perspectives.

top topics

join