It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN: Higgs-Boson decays to two fermions!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Shiloh7
reply to post by snoopy11

This goes back to which came first, the chicken or the egg, Life or God (or whatever). The bible has 'God created' but we are surely a step behind that first information by asking did God create life or the other way round? Do we really understand where God fitted in when communities asked their ancestors for answers.

I am wading slowly through the Bagadav Gita at the moment, although its got 64 pages of 'introduction' before I get to the actual writings.

The Bhagavad Gita is an interesting read, I read it a long time ago, it is mainly a collection of stories recounting the Mahabharata War.

I couldn't really concisely tell you my thoughts on God and why I think them, it is a particularly long line of reasoning.

But I would say if you want to know more about God then read modern philosophers on God.

Our knowledge has increased since the Bible was written and I would not really pay much attention to it apart from the new books like the Revelation.

But to directly answer your question with no line of reasoning to back it up.

I believe God to be an infinite field of concious thought that has always existed, and always will exist.
God cannot be created since he always existed.
The Universe has a starting point therefore has an end.
God is not like that, he is without beginning and therefore without end.
So God existed before Life or Time or even Space.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ErosA433

Thanks, I didn't know that about those aquarium walk-throughs. And for anyone who really knows that discovery and science are the backbones of even capitalist systems of economics, projects as big as CERN and its Large Hadron Collider - such as the massive telescopes on drawing boards, or space exploration missions which will be as exciting as those of the early space race - should be lobbied for, encouraged, and funded to the hilt.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The poor would be better off having the money spent on them now, then in thousands of years when star-trec becomes actually feasible...

Spending billions on this thing is an injustice if your justifying its being because the poor will be able to one day get the *crumbs* of the 1% when we become like star-trek. Defund this crap now then, use the billions to actually feed the poor RIGHT NOW..

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

starfoxxx
The poor would be better off having the money spent on them now, then in thousands of years when star-trec becomes actually feasible...

Spending billions on this thing is an injustice if your justifying its being because the poor will be able to one day get the *crumbs* of the 1% when we become like star-trek. Defund this crap now then, use the billions to actually feed the poor RIGHT NOW..

You'd think, right? But the richest people are not feeding the poor in most nations. Even in the States the food stamp allotment is low and being cut further (even though every cent of food stamps is corporate welfare). If, for instance, there was a tiny tax on every stock transaction and dealings in the commodities markets in the world, with the money going to feed the hungry, house the homeless, etc., then those problems would be history. But defunding something like scientific research is killing the horse that the rest of the stuff will eventually ride in on.
edit on 2-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
it is why It makes me sad when people do the old "oh this is a waste of money" kind of posts. It shows not an educated or even a well thought out opinion, an opinion borne of ignorance.

Same thing, lots of people talk about cancer research needing the money the most. Truth be told, we absolutely want a good amount of money for cancer research, but you know what is very sad? The fact that most of the big charities spend 50-70% of their income from donations, on the generation of more money in the form of donations.
It basically means they are wasting money and in general are not being effective.
Plus, most cancer research is extremely well funded, because the potential payoff for a discovery is so great for mankind.
It is a moot argument.

What did the LHC do for the good of people?

Try computing... before the LHC project, the concept of large scale grid computing was really in its infancy. It was very small scale, the technology was developed because of the need to analyze data that was coming in at vast rates. who benefits now from this technology? Medical... Medical is good for mankind right? No?

The world wide web was born at cern, because while data transfer and wired connections between computers was developed first by bell labs, it was clear that everyone had their one protocols and getting two computers running different software to talk to one another was a difficult task. Thus www was developed as a standard protocol... the fact we are talking about all this is partially thanks to cern. You like sharing cat pictures with amusing quotes on them right? No?

The LHC is the largest concentration of 'cold' on the earth. The super conducting magnets require supreme cold in order to function... this technology existed in only small part... so why is that important? Well the development of these magnet showed technologists that it is possible to do it, and how... this has resulted in the upgrading of many backbone technologies where some sections of high throughput power plants are being replaced by super conductors to allow better efficiency. The idea being that people can have more power and not worry about the grid burning out when everyone gets up to put the coffee at the same time. You like to have power in your house right? No?

On the same lines, thanks to the T2K experiment choosing a novel technology to detect photons from fibres, a new device was deemed worthy of further development by several companies around the world. While T2K only wanted some 40,000 devices, it was enough of a demand for HPK to develop and produce a device. These devices are now being put into PET scanners because they are better than current technology, cheaper, less prone to failures and give more efficient data per dosage, meaning the doctors can give a patient less of a dose and get better data that current. These devices also allow combined PET NMR machines to be developed, which could result in more machines being available in a smaller space and require less power. You would like to be able to know if you have something wrong with you? No?

Oh but wait? yeah neutrino and higgs experiments are a waste of time right? yeah, my mistake.

edit on 2-12-2013 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

Will you not have to figure out how to make Amino Acid befoe living cells can be produced ??? every planet consists of 'Matter', but so far only one has created Life.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

steaming
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

Will you not have to figure out how to make Amino Acid befoe living cells can be produced ??? every planet consists of 'Matter', but so far only one has created Life.

Good questions, but addressing them to Mr. Hunter may be asking for too much, as he is not with us anymore.

And we have no idea of how many planets have created life, even in our own neighborhood.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Mamatus
reply to post by jimmyx

There is more to this. 99.9% of Scientists are atheists. They are working hard to prove they are right. Personally I think that proof of no God is way overdue. Religion is truly the root of all evil. Until it goes the way of the dinosaur people will always fight.

Ah, so human nature has no part in this. Religion should take all of the blame.

What about groups of monkeys or groups of ants or even groups of wolves that fight each other like a war? They have no holy writings to obey / religion.

Science is about making observations to learn about the universe around us, it is not faith-based with a holy book.
edit on 3-12-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join