It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Infant HIV Decreases, but Teen AIDS-related Deaths Increase

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

AIDS-related deaths increased in adolescents
However, the report revealed that among adolescents aged between 10 and 19, AIDS-related deaths increased by 50% from 71,000 in 2005 to 110,000 in 2012.

The authors of the report state that this statistic suggests there needs to be additional funding and focus on "high-impact interventions" to reduce AIDS-related death among teenagers.

The report refers to high-impact interventions as condoms, antiretroviral treatment, prevention of mother-to-child transmission, voluntary medical circumcision, communications for behavior change, and approaches targeted for marginalized and at-risk populations.

Report: Infant HIV Decreases, but Teen AIDS-related Deaths Increase

AIDS-related deaths just doubled in adolescents between 10 and 19 years of age, showing kids have a much lower life expectancy after HIV infection. But experts focus on the higher mortality rate without acknowledging the shorter life expectancy.

We're seeing a shorter life expectancy in kids with HIV, not just a higher mortality rate.
Either most of these kids were infected as babies and toddlers - OR - we're facing a new, incredibly virulent form of HIV. Maybe both possibilities are true.

Maybe a group of treated but HIV-positive pedophile sex tourists are infecting their little victims and creating (a) new virulent strain(s).

Maybe treatments given to HIV-positive pregnant mothers do not really work; maybe the virus just goes into deep-latency and resurfaces as a virulent form in adolescence.

Maybe we're seeing evidence of antiviral resistance, and viral evolution. Focusing exclusively on mandatory testing really begs the issue.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I am curious as to how the data in the OP when combined with what I read yesterday might have something to do with these numbers.......

Researchers have discovered a new, more aggressive strain of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) that develops into AIDS much more quickly than other strains, Medical News Today reported.

In a new study published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, scientists detailed the new strain as a “recombinant” virus – a hybrid of two virus strains. Called A3/02 – a cross between the 02AG and A3 viruses – the strain can develop into AIDS in just five years after first infection – one of the shortest time periods for HIV-1 types.

New aggressive strain of HIV discovered

Seems to be a mutation in progress or something perhaps worse.

Bad news for sure.....

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

We're seeing a shorter life expectancy in kids with HIV, not just a higher mortality rate.
Either most of these kids were infected as babies and toddlers - OR - we're facing a new, incredibly virulent form of HIV. Maybe both possibilities are true.

Or maybe there is a yet undiscovered element to what causes AIDS in the first place.

I think there's more to it than simply HIV=AIDS. Some of the worlds leading experts on HIV like Peter H. Duesberg's think that it may only part of the problem , lifestyle, nutrition and environmental factors maybe needed to make the patient develop full blown AIDS.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Great info, link. Thanks. The report says "the strain can develop into AIDS in just five years after first infection – one of the shortest time periods for HIV-1 types." It fits with the timeline showing kids with HIV have much shorter life spans.

* Life expectancy with untreated HIV is 3 to 18 years. AIDS takes from 2 to 15 years to develop if the infection is untreated. Without treatment, people diagnosed with AIDS typically survive about 3 years. If someone gets another dangerous infection, life-expectancy falls to about 1 year. (2+1=3) to (3+15=18).

* So if a kid dies at 19 from AIDS, they were infected somewhere between 1 and 16 years of age. If a child dies at 10? …Infected 8 years before birth? By 7 years of age?

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

...lifestyle, nutrition and environmental factors maybe needed to make the patient develop full blown AIDS

Virtually every chronic disease has the same profile - they're all "multifactorial." I'd say our economic-industrial systems are virtually guaranteed to spread the infectious element(s), while the contaminated air, water and food resulting from industrial activities are virtually guaranteed to "nurture" disease.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

If AIDS develops into an aggressive strain that moves quickly, that could actually help the overall rate not decrease it. One of the reasons that HIV is so widespread is that it's a relatively incompetent virus.

Also I just want to comment that the rate of new HIV infections in America is high in young gay men. It is a true crisis for the gay community that no one seems to talk about that much. Many of the teen infections are also in homeless youth in the lgbt community. I think last statistic I looked up was around 40% of homeless youth in New York City are lgbt. Many of those kids turn to prostitution and drugs which both carry high risk for infections, not just HIV.

Also, young gay black men they are especially at risk because the black communities tend to be extremely homophobic. Tie that in with masculine related gang violence and it can be deadly. Out of the majority of murders in the LGBT community this year the huge percentage were transgender black women(trannies for you non-pc folk).

Community, education, and realistic drug counseling are some of the biggest enemies of new HIV infections. Unfortunately many of the young men are not welcomed by their families, don't have the community, and many have drug and alcohol problems that will continue to be untreated.

Just thought I'd add some information that no one probably cares about.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I'd like to thank the OP for this information. We have indeed become complacent when it cones to HIV. This is very disconcerting and in a time of uncertain healthcare in the USA, it gives me pause for thought.

I've been HIV+ since 2007. I'm very healthy and undetectable (considering I am poz) but reports like these stir fear in me because... What if?

That alone is terrifying.....

edit on 11/30/2013 by FrankieNinja because: Spelling

edit on 11/30/2013 by FrankieNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think the fact that teens in this day and age are going through sex partners like big guys go through socks might have something to do with the continued proliferation of STD's in general.

Our society is like happy hour in the monkey house.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

... the fact that teens in this day and age are going through sex partners like big guys go through socks

- does NOT explain why babies and toddlers are getting HIV by the millions. HIV only turns into AIDS after 3-18 years.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

soficrow

... the fact that teens in this day and age are going through sex partners like big guys go through socks

- does NOT explain why babies and toddlers are getting HIV by the millions. HIV only turns into AIDS after 3-18 years.

They are getting it from HIV positive mothers.
Many of whom had multiple partners (who had multiple partners, who had multiple partners)who are spreading HIV.
Babies and toddlers do not have sex. They get HIV from the mother.
HIV is mutating constantly and Aids onset is faster as time goes by.

It's a miracle that kids aren't born with full blown AIDS yet.

edit on 30-11-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Babies and toddlers do not have sex.

Certainly not consensually. May I suggest you get down off your judgmental high horse and take a good hard look at the real world? Also note: The report specifies that infant HIV infection has decreased.

Child sex tourism (CST) is tourism for the purpose of engaging in the prostitution of children, that is commercially facilitated child sexual abuse.[1] Child sex tourism results in both mental and physical consequences for the exploited children, that may include "disease (including HIV/AIDS), drug addiction, pregnancy, malnutrition, social ostracism, and possibly death", according to the State Department of the United States.[1] Child sex tourism, part of the multi-billion-dollar global sex tourism industry, is a form of child prostitution within the wider issue of commercial sexual exploitation of children. Child sex tourism victimizes approximately 2 million children around the world.[1][2][3][4] The children who perform as prostitutes in the child sex tourism trade often have been lured or abducted into sexual slavery.[5][6][7]

U.S. Pedophiles Nabbed in Cambodia Sex-Tourist Sting

Thailand fights to stem tide of child sex tourists

Canadian pedophiles travel abroad for child sex

trafficking in children has plagued countries such as Cambodia, Thailand, and Costa Rica for decades, ...part of the multibillion-dollar sex-tourism industry that targets children.

edit on 1/12/13 by soficrow because: add note

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

FrankieNinja

I'd like to thank the OP for this information. We have indeed become complacent when it cones to HIV. This is very disconcerting and in a time of uncertain healthcare in the USA, it gives me pause for thought.

I've been HIV+ since 2007. I'm very healthy and undetectable (considering I am poz) but reports like these stir fear in me because... What if?

That alone is terrifying.....

HIV has been with us for a long long long time. Just because science found a way to diagnose it does not mean you are going to die. The medical community has about a minimal understanding of this virus (flame away f-tards). In fact ... if you look ... no virus on Earth has ever been successfully 'cured' by modern medicine. Stop fretting. Many many many people have been HIV positive and NEVER died from AIDS. TPTB are playing keep-away with THOSE stats. Worrying about it is much more likely to shorten your lifespan ... so just stop.

One thing the medical community is not ready to admit ... is that if you've been found to be HIV positive ... you may have self-developed an immunity to AIDS. It happens all the time, but if TPTB admitted that simple fact ... the fear-mongering wouldn't work anymore.

I was diagnosed HIV positive in 1985. I'm probably as clean as Magic Johnson by now. LOL

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

soficrow

Babies and toddlers do not have sex.

Certainly not consensually. May I suggest you get down off your judgmental high horse and take a good hard look at the real world? Also note: The report specifies that infant HIV infection has decreased.

It seems that the high horse is all in your court.
I suggest that teens (and even preteens) having profligate sex is a part of the issue and you dismiss it out of hand as if I were a moron.

I then point out that babies and toddlers do not have sex and you cite rape?
Wherever in this thread did I either support rape or deny it's existence?

What world do YOU live in where teens have no sex?

I will leave you to your strange little world where your word is law and any other contributions are to be attacked as heresy.

edit on 1-12-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

They are getting it from HIV positive mothers.
Many of whom had multiple partners (who had multiple partners, who had multiple partners)who are spreading HIV.
Babies and toddlers do not have sex. They get HIV from the mother.

You made a number of unequivocal statements, as quoted above. I reminded you the OP study specified that HIV in infants has decreased, and redirected your attention to pedophilia and the international sex tourist trade. I'm sorry that you found it off-putting but my point stands.

edit on 1/12/13 by soficrow because: clarity

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have starred and flagged the thread, so I can get back to it later.
The whole subject has left me needing a few days break.
For my own sanity.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

If you don't mind sharing a little bit of your story, but I would like to know if you take or have taken medicine to 'control' HIV?

While a new deadlier strain of HIV maybe out there, I do question the treatment and the stigma that goes with HIV. My understanding is once one starts aggressive treatment they cannot stop because the body becomes dependent on the drugs and without them the immune system crashes.

However I think the infection rate among teens is because teens(and even pre-teens) become sexually active at a lot younger age than many will admit.

Can one's body beat HIV? I think so but it depends on your genes and will power. Is there a relatively cheap way to cure or control HIV, absolutely but in the for profit health care system long term treatment is much more profitable than a cure.

edit on 3-12-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Meanwhile, our congress wants to override laws that penalize people who knowingly expose others to HIV.

“It’s simply not fair that someone having been diagnosed with a chronic, treatable medical condition should automatically be subjected to a different set of criminal laws,” Coons said. “A disturbing number of state and local criminal laws pertaining to individuals with HIV/AIDS are rooted not in science, but in outdated fear. They run counter to effective public health strategies, discourage HIV testing, and perpetuate unfair stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS – people who are our friends, family, and neighbors.”

So on the one hand, we have evidence that HIV/AIDS is turning into something more dangerous than it was and on the other hand, we have a concerted effort by our "betters" to overturn the laws put in place that would at least try to hold people accountable who knowingly expose others to it, including those who would knowingly expose children in the US.

There's not much we can do here about the children in other parts of the world. And in some place like Africa where AIDS is already a problem child rape is already epidemic. So that might explain some of the uptick in cases.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

FYF - About 10 years ago studies were showing that the rise in HIV/AIDS in African women was directly related to cost-cutting measures in charity health care - re-using speculums and guess what, no electricity for autoclaves and effective sterilization. Surprise surprise. I emailed links to an associate working with the UN as a 'reproductive health consultant' and oddly, the Net was scrubbed clean of all related articles and evidence within days. [I've since learned to copy and file everything I think important.]

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

jrod
reply to post by Snarl

If you don't mind sharing a little bit of your story, but I would like to know if you take or have taken medicine to 'control' HIV?

I have no problem sharing anything (except classified information) on this site. To say that diagnosis was a big deal in my life would be the understatement of the millennia. Far too OT for this thread. I have never taken (or more importantly ... offered) ANY treatment for HIV.

jrod
I do question the treatment and the stigma that goes with HIV.

The stigma associated with the diagnosis is unbelievable. People on this site would have an easier time describing a UFO to a point backwards engineering the craft would be unnecessary.

Treatment ... let me say again ... NO virus has EVER been cured by modern medicine. Every viral infection runs its course. Yes, viruses can be 'killed' in the lab ... but not in the human body without killing the host.

jrod
Can one's body beat HIV? I think so but it depends on your genes and will power.

HIV infections were once approaching epidemic proportion. How did a problem of that scope 'go away?' Let me assure you ... it did not. The fear machine just stopped propagating fear. HIV develops into AIDS just like diabetes symptoms develop into full blown diabetes. Have you noticed an increase in the treatment of diabetes over the last 20 years? There IS a fear machine that feeds the medical industry. The second you become irrational about something someone said ... they assume control.

jrod
Is there a relatively cheap way to cure or control HIV, absolutely but in the for profit health care system long term treatment is much more profitable than a cure.

Please don't believe that (in context) for a minute. I have been down the rabbit hole. Explored it for years and years. There is no certain treatment. The virus runs its course ... just like any other virus. It kills you ... or you survive. Remember, that HIV is 'discovered' by the presence of antibodies ... not identification of the virus itself. Those antibodies ... nobody tells you how long they can be found in the previously infected. Nobody tells you you're all better (unless you're Magic Johnson-Poster Boy).

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Yes, so between no effective sterilization techniques in primitive conditions and cultures that have different ideas of the appropriate age for sexual intercourse, Africa is a bad place to try to get a handle on the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

Of course, the cultural thing affects more nations than just Africa. Child marriage takes place across the Middle East and into Asia, so it can likely be assumed that attitudes toward the appropriate age for intercourse are also fairly lax.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join