It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Prayer Improves Self-Control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
www.newsmax.com...

Prayer allows people to keep control of their emotions and actions, a new study says.

Previous studies have found that when people try hard to control their thoughts and emotions, the buildup of emotion can result in aggressive outbursts or in binge eating or drinking, the Daily Mail reported.

But the new study by German psychologists at Saarland University and the University of Mannheim found that prayer reduces those chances.

"A brief period of personal prayer buffered the self-control depletion effect," the researchers wrote. The findings were published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.

also

they participated in Stroop tests, in which the names of colors were shown written in ink of a different color than the color's name. They were told to name the color rather than reading the word, which requires self-control.

Those who did not pray before watching the funny videos had more trouble with the Stroop test, indicating that praying before performing the task of controlling emotions helped people retain control when performing the Stroop test.

Additionally, the study found that those who prayed tried just as hard to control their emotions while watching the videos, but did not deplete their capacity for self-control.

www.journals.elsevier.com...

I see the difference when I pray and when I don't.

serenity now

serenity now

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Not that I would verify their finding with my own opinion but yea it really has worked for me when things weren't looking very good . Not saying it changed the results of what I prayed about but I was very content with the outcomes .....

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Meditation and reciting mantras does the same thing, is all in the mind and what people think that works for them.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

Not that I would verify their finding with my own opinion but yea it really has worked for me when things weren't looking very good . Not saying it changed the results of what I prayed about but I was very content with the outcomes .....

yes, there is that places of peace and calm you find in the center of the storm.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Meditation and reciting mantras does the same thing,

I don't disagree with that, I have done both, but prayer, for me anyway, seems to be the most powerful.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Most likely because thats what you are used to doing so that is what you believe will help you the most. Psychosomatic impulse. I wonder why the testees were so lopsided? It would seem that it also doesnt matter what deity they prayed to. That seems like an important tidbit if they are trying to prove the relevance of any certain religion. Personally i am not a theist but i do see the benefit of getting my mind focused on a project before i start it.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

*grin*..

one has to wounder.. 'could life be that simple...." yes.. i'll confirm this study

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

Meditation and reciting mantras does the same thing,

I don't disagree with that, I have done both, but prayer, for me anyway, seems to be the most powerful.

I would add other practices such as Tai Chi and ballet. The martial arts promote themselves as masters of self control. Even reading books on philosophy or religion, and poetry. Any practice that causes one to stop and reflect inward in a mental, physical or otherwise fashion will develop and maintain self control. Physical environments can also do this, such as a quiet Gothic church, or a Buddhist temple. Being alone in the rainforest, or simply watching a waterfall.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by passit

Yea. I totally agree. This is such a narrow minded study. It seems they already knew what they wanted the results to be before they ever started. This literally "proves" nothing. Im going to dig a bit and see who these folks are and what other "studies" they have been up to. Also what else they have "proved".

Well, i couldnt find anything else about this study. This article never names the psychologists who performed it or releases the data set. Maybe someone else could have better luck. All we are really seeing is the opinion of the reporter.

edit on 30-11-2013 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Well said! I agree, it's all in the head! Like when you do good, you feel good! It's one's own mind that improves it's state. Your own perception. Some people just believe it's a god or higher power, that give's one self control..

When in reality, it is YOU who is your own god! Believe in yourself and your own abilities. Not someone/thing else.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

The all in the head study doesn't hold water when the person you are praying for doesn't know you are praying.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I can see your point. I just question whether the prayer really helps the other. Or, is it just human nature to be self gratifying? Like when folks help others. Is it really to please ones self, to make us happy to know that we were able to help, when one prays for someone to get better. Or, when we may help the less fortunate with a few dollars or a meal.

Do we humans do it because we feel good ourselves, for doing it. IMO I think, the money or the meal will help the other more than a prayer. While pleasing our self/mind at the same time.
Does that make sense? I don't want to stray from topic. I do think it's awesome, people decide to pray/help others. I just wonder if it's because we like to feel good about ourselves for doing so. I'm not trying to be funny or rude
S&F for posting btw.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
No offence but this is misleading.
You can have the exact same effects with meditation and no religious assembly required or bronze-age skyghosts.

-Peace-
edit on 30-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 30-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Alteration

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

You can have the exact same effects with meditation and no religious assembly required or bronze-age skyghosts.

My sentiments, precisely!
Star your way...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I go Zen Zen Zen sometimes when I am annoyed.

Meditation and reciting mantras does the same thing, is all in the mind and what people think that works for them.

I am always go to a happy place when I hear this song.

No offence but this is misleading. You can have the exact same effects with meditation and no religious assembly required or bronze-age skyghosts.

Of course you can.
. It is all about intention pushing either the placebo effect or nocebo effect depending on intention. Reiki healers do it to themselves and others by using their intention to increase the placebo effect in others. Every person is a part of their own healing process both in mind and body.
edit on 30-11-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Yes, for you prayer is the most powerful because you have faith, that is the key, believing in what you do and the results you want is essential for a good outcome.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

That was very beautiful, I see why you feel good listening. I love Om Mani Padme Hum mantra, I happen to get my hands on a very also beautiful song using just the mantra, many years ago, I lost the link many years ago also during one of those back in the days computer crashes, but I still have the song.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Prayer seems to me to be a much more passive activity than Meditation or repetitive mantras, although I won't deny that possibly the same Physiological mechanism could be at play.

Not to mention that the type of prayer could differ from religious sect to religious sect, including things like Mantras or meditation.

The difference to me seems to be in "asking" vs "doing" where prayer is requesting something, and Meditation is focusing and doing.

So say someone prays for "peace" vs someone that focuses their mind to create the same "peace" or calmness in their mental state.

It could just come down to attaining the same thing via different methods.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
dbl, somethings wrong with my mouse clicker..
edit on 30-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by LittleByLittle

That was very beautiful, I see why you feel good listening. I love Om Mani Padme Hum mantra, I happen to get my hands on a very also beautiful song using just the mantra, many years ago, I lost the link many years ago also during one of those back in the days computer crashes, but I still have the song.

. Listening to a version of the manra song now.

"Hail to the Jewel of the Lotus!" It is also interpreted as "Hail to Man's Overself!," where there is no death.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join