It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First Thanksgiving As Genocide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
As we just celebrated what US “Americans”call Thanksgiving, let us pause for a moment of reflection. Let us recognize that accounts of the first Thanksgiving are mythological, and that the holiday is actually a grotesque celebration of our arrogant ethnocentrism built on genocide.

And don't forget United States of AMERICA is Not a Country it's a Corporation

www.nyc.gov...

edit on 30-11-2013 by awakehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I heard about this for the first time this year. If this is true why would we be taught the exact opposite and celebrate our friendship and cooperative nature with these people? New info for me though so will need to research it more.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The oppression of the TRUE american population (the Indians) is something that has not stopped to this day, however, most European white settlers are not horrible people and do not condone violence. To tell a story of how they first settled and made peace is pleasing to the average modern day american. Do you think they would be ok with the native indians being forced into trailer parks if they knew that their ancestors have been treating them as sub human for centuries?

White european-americans are a very proud people, proud of their roots and their heritage, to tell them that this started very violently and horrifically could ruin their sense of patriotism, and the sense that Americans have always been the 'good-guys'.

It's a shame that history of any kind is not understood, no matter how horrific. You do not learn from covering up mistakes, you learn by studying them and ensuring it never happens again.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
OMG!!!!

Basically all of Americas early heros were murderers, actually they were worse, they all called for genocide!!!

So are all those religious nuts who say Israel should be given back to the Jews coz of their displacement 2000+ years ago now going to do the same for the Native Americans? it was only 100 years ago and 100 Million died not 6 million.

Interesting that the only countries who voted against indigenous rights were Oz, NZ, US and Canada. All have recently (relatively speaking) displaced the native populations

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

awakehuman
As we just celebrated what US “Americans”call Thanksgiving, let us pause for a moment of reflection. Let us recognize that accounts of the first Thanksgiving are mythological, and that the holiday is actually a grotesque celebration of our arrogant ethnocentrism built on genocide.

And don't forget United States of AMERICA is Not a Country it's a Corporation

www.nyc.gov...

you joke, right?
the indians saved these guys, they would have died.
why? because they went all commune. no one wanted to work.

only when the governor gave everyone their own land, did they start to thrive.

edit on 30264811330am2013 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Well, Most native Indians didn't die due to genocide.

They died mostly by a pandemic.

Did the settlers mean to pass on diseases such as small pox? No they didn't. In America, Indians didn't have such viruses and illnesses around, so their immune systems were not very capable of fighting them.

And of course battles and skirmishes broke out here and there, but it's not like we were rounding up Indians and gunning them all down.
edit on 30-11-2013 by Lingweenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lingweenie

The small pox was indeed a disease of the white European, however, the army generals used this knowledge to infect villages, full of women and children with infected blankets (given as a gift of 'good-will')

Pontiac's War - Wiki

These are the earliest forms of bio-warfare and the generals didn't care who's lives were affected. Perhaps it wasn't a genocide like in Germany during the second world war, however, there was certainly little humanity in the dealings with the Natives.
edit on 30-11-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Did the settlers mean to pass on diseases such as small pox? No they didn't.

It is well known that the Natives were given blankets infected with small pox and measles.

And of course battles and skirmishes broke out here and there, but it's not like we were rounding up Indians and gunning them all down.

We did that too. If you look into the "Indian removal" policy of the settlers it was a kill on sight policy.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

iRoyalty

The small pox was indeed a disease of the white European, however, the army generals used this knowledge to infect villages, full of women and children with infected blankets (given as a gift of 'good-will')

Pontiac's War - Wiki

These are the earliest forms of bio-warfare and the generals didn't care who's lives were affected. Perhaps it wasn't a genocide like in Germany during the second world war, however, there was certainly little humanity in the dealings with the Natives.
edit on 30-11-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

i'm sure certain people did this. Wouldn't surprise me.

Although it's not like every settler was out doing this. If that were the case, then every settler would've been considered sadistic sociopaths.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

No, but as buster2010 pointed out, there was a shoot on sight policy for the Natives which was a national rule. I have no doubt that there were kind people who did not agree with this, however the settlers spread propaganda of these 'savages' who would murder innocent white folk, where as, I would say they probably wouldn't have been so aggressive if they had made peace the way it is taught at thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Ahh, so... rt wants to teach Americans about history. This should be interesting. /watch

*whistles* sounds terrible.

edit on 30-11-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Logically they would perhaps be a more reliable source, neither could be considered 100% reliable since the US would never do anything to ruins peoples sense of patriotism and Russia would never miss a chance to discredit the yanks. However, it is undeniable that there were some seriously nasty stuff done by the British settlers, their policies and aggressive military action to forcibly remove Natives, which is almost common knowledge for everyone outside of the US of A, sadly, is something that seems to be purposefully left out of American history lessons.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

I wouldn't know, I hadn't read a us history book in... 18 years or so.

Tell me something. What do you think should be done about that? That ugly part of history you talk about.
edit on 30-11-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

I think it should be studied and accepted, JFK said one of my favourite quotes "An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it". The Native people of America have been wronged and victimised, at the very least all of the history of that period of time should be taught.

As a British man, I know of all the horrors the the British Empire inflicted upon the world (not all of the Empire, many commonwealth states are quite prosperous because of British influence), however, I still consider myself a patriot. It just seems wrong that Americans deny the horrors to make themselves look better, it's just not right.

I would also like to point out that I do not think that thanksgiving is a bad festival, but I think the good should be celebrated and the bad remembered, so that we can correct our errors.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I have a better idea. You know what it is?

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I get the feeling that something derogatory and possibly not constructive is coming, but go for it

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Nah nothing derogatory. Is that it though, you know, go relearn history, basically yea? Then what?

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Not re-learn history, just teach history properly in the first place and then maybe people can see how errors can become mistakes. To advance as a social race we need to study our history properly, not leave out facts that don't agree with the national image, that's for autocratic societies and fictional books like '1984', not the land of the free.

(Apologies for the assumption of a coming rude comment, just had too many depressing conversations with ATSers that start what "Want to know what I think? haha)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Not re-learn history, just teach history properly in the first place and then maybe people can see how errors can become mistakes. To advance as a social race we need to study our history properly, not leave out facts that don't agree with the national image, that's for autocratic societies and fictional books like '1984', not the land of the free.

(Apologies for the assumption of a coming rude comment, just had too many depressing conversations with ATSers that start what "Want to know what I think? haha)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
what does all that crap have to do with the 1st thanksgiving?

smallpox, and crap?

ya, i guess the indians in their death throws, still shared their foods.

really?

let's keep this on topic.

the euros didn't wipe them out till later.
edit on 30180811730am2013 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join