It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{Video} Warning! Deadly Piranha Now in American Waters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
thelibertydigest.com...

The piranha that have been found in the US have been found in places such as the Potomac, Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin, Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, and Lake St Clair in Michigan, and Tom Bass Park Lake near Houston, Texas. Most were caught accidentally during fishing expeditions in the summer. Scientists have agreed that in all of those locations, the piranha would not have been able to survive the cold winter temperatures.

Oh Great! Just what I need...something else to worry about.
Out for a nice outing on the boat for a little R&R and decide to cool down with a little swim. Skinny dippin with the GF and when you climb back on board you are able to sing the aria from "Rigoletto"

All levity aside...
This could take a big bite out of retail American water sports equipment sales used for water skiing, noodling for catfish and swimming.

Sorry, I have no shame!
edit on 30-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Something else to worry about right along with this guy....

www.csa.com...

who has become a nuisance as well. I think folks get stuff like this as pets then dump them when they are tired of fooling with them. The more international traffic we get, the more of this stuff we bring in as well.

Just look at what is living in Florida that shouldn't be. www.slate.com...

Either way it does hurt the fishing and leisure time. The more that comes in and gets out of control the more we will lose. I hope they can get a handle on them quickly.

Eeek...
edit on 11/30/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Awww but they're so cute. How could anyone be afraid of a little fish like that?
They just want to be loved.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Oh so they would blame the person who keeps them as pets first, though they shouldn't survive the winters...I think its black ops that put them there and its a plan of Agenda 21.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on this. My question - if they can't survive in the cold waters why were they found alive. Have they done a study of that exact temperature, the age of the fish found, knowleve of how long it had been there - with their ability to survive or are they just trying to downplay it. My guess - they will adapt.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Dianec
Thanks for the heads up on this. My question - if they can't survive in the cold waters why were they found alive. Have they done a study of that exact temperature, the age of the fish found, knowleve of how long it had been there - with their ability to survive or are they just trying to downplay it. My guess - they will adapt.

Things do not adapt overnight, or in the course of a year. What are being found are released pets.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Unity_99
Oh so they would blame the person who keeps them as pets first, though they shouldn't survive the winters...I think its black ops that put them there and its a plan of Agenda 21.

Really???

I have had a few in the past in my tanks. I figured out how to grow them up big fast. And I am not a part of "black ops or agenda 21"

You are playing video games a bit too much aren't you...

The largest Piranha I had in a tank started jumping out when it was around 6 inches.. Tough as nails the bugger was.. Never once did it attempt to eat my flesh when I put my arm into the tank. But the fish was a jumper to the end.... The big guy was over a foot before he met his demise.

Miss every "thunk and flap" that woke us up in the middle of the night to rescue you big guy.

He was just a misunderstood fish that Loved to eat goldfish and minnows....
Not people....

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I realize that but how do they know they couldn't survive. Some fish are pretty stout and it's amazing what they can live through. Invasive species are a problem because they kill other species - not people. Who would release something like this into the wild anyway? Like pythons in Florida or monkeys. Its more than cruel to the pet - it can screw up our ecosystem.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by livinglifeseekingtruth2

PETA is a bigger threat than a fish.....

PETA thinks we should all starve to death while eating nothing but leaves and pods...

PETA believes everyone who has a Pet is evil...

Peta is on a mission to destroy humanity...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
woah now we need pirahnas with freakin laser beams attached to their freakin heads? next step sharks!

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Their is no species of piranha that is 'deadly' per se, but any species of piranha is deadly in the right conditions. AKA 3-400 of them in a river where you've just drawn a heavy amount of blood. Piranha are not a species that will outright attack people, you guys are so dumb. Every other week i see a thread about this new killer animal thats gonna wipe out the race, its always a species that i'm aware of and have a good amount of knowledge about. No one should be worried about Piranha, unless you're silly enough to swim whilst bleeding heavily?

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by freakanature

I think you miss an important point about any wild animal and which, incidentally, will cover man himself if so challenged. Reduce the available food supply and your grandmother isn't even safe. I have a scientific principle about that truism buried somewhere around here, but in the meantime, take my word for it.

And another thing you can learn from actual experience, stand still in about any body of water and the local fish will come along and try to take a nibble of you. that will include the smallest minnow after dead skin cells up to those that want an arm or leg.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I sure wont be doin any wading in my short shorts anymore..................(eye rolling smiley)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
actually there not that deadly.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Exactly my thoughts. The boa problem down in the everglades is a result to people releasing their pet boas.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Seems the first ive heard of this myself,
not really worried though,. There are ALOT of lakes
here in wisconsin. they wont get to all of them unless
someone would be purposely stocking them, and besides
this is wisconsin, we will just have a jamboree for who can catch
the most and give em a side of beef or some kind of door prize.
We do it for carp to keep the population down.

And really, they are not a cold water fish where it freezes

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
These fish come from the Amazon they can not live or reproduce in cold water. Once the temp falls bellow a certain point they die. They are banned as pets in the south because they might be able to survive but not in the north. They are not aloud to be sold as pets in the south. I have friends that use to raise these fish but they never interested me. I've been bitten by one before.

My buddy had a tank with 23 of them. The power went out for 2 days and they all died because the aquarium heater wasn't working. We were trying to save them by putting them in the bathtub. I picked up one that I thought was dead. I put my finger in it's mouth to see how sharp the teeth were and it bit me. I know not the smartest move but I thought it was dead.

I do believe these fish could adapt in southern waters though. Not only survive but also reproduce. I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time before it happened. With internet people are able to buy them through the mail from people in the north.

I always thought it might be a good idea to throw them in the rio grand with some nile crocodiles.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Everything isn't a conspiracy.
Just like any other pet, some people get bored, get tired of feeding and cleaning up after them and dump them off someplace.
Seems like not too long ago, someone caught a HUGE goldfish in a Michigan lake.

Anyhow:
www.bountyfishing.com...

DNR staff assumed his catch came from an aquarium in someone's home and was tossed into the lake, which is illegal.

"They can't survive in Michigan on a year-round basis," said Todd Grischke, a biologist with the DNR Fisheries Division. "One piranha in a lake is not a threat to the public, but we encourage people not to do it."

Grischke said Michigan law forbids stocking a lake without a permit, though Lynne Thoma, another DNR staffer, said there are periodic reports of a piranha getting caught.

"Usually they get too big for their tank," Thoma said. "It's illegal to put them into Michigan waters, but how do you get people to stop?"

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

If they are in Lake St. Clair, then they have entered the Great Lakes, and can be in some connected inland lakes like Mullett Lake, Crooked Lake, Crooked River, etc. At least they have the potential to be in those bodies of water because they are all connected.

Question is, did they get there through the St. Lawrence seaway or were they really dumped in by people who just didn't want them as pets anymore?? And WHO in their right mind would ever own a piranha as a pet? Have they lost their minds?!?

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

probably drug dealers owned pirahnas for deals gone bad

top topics

<<   2 >>

join