It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What % of the US population can drive a manual transmission vehicle?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
or stick shift?

My guess would be 10% can drive comfortably anywhere like in NYC Traffic & maybe another 25% could drive a stick shift in an emergency situation.

Do think it is an important driving skill to learn especially in an emergency situation just to have done it a few times so you know the concept.

Do you think the % is low or high?

Learned how to do it on the old "3 on the Tree".

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Probably not many. People are too stupid to even check their blind spots or rear view mirror since stupid cars these days alert and warn them when being stupid. I learned to drive on a manual. They are fun!
Firepiston

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I really hope the number is higher than that
I learned on my grandfather's 4 on the floor

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I tried an automatic once and hated it. I prefer the stick shift only as I fell I have more control of the vehicle than an automatic. Think most here in the UK use stick shift only....

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I definitely prefer manual over automatic transmission (US here).

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

driving a manual is not as important today since most vehicles are going automatic. Especially trucks today.

I have always preferred a manual.. the simple ability to jump start is more than enough reason.

Problem is that it is HARD to find a manual in a desirable used vehicle, that hasn't been thrashed.

Sometimes, the manual vehicle commands a hefty premium on the used market. And the way auto transmissions fail in a very orderly KAH-CHING$$$ fashion plays a big part.

in the Dodge/Cummins and Ford/PSD used truck arena, having a 6 speed will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the value.
sometimes the difference between a $10,000 truck and a $20,000 truck is whether it is a manual.
And that is IF you can find a manual at all. 100's of automatics vs. 3-4 manuals. and that is a nationwide Autotrader search!

example, a Diesel truck with a manual trans can go 100's of thousands of miles and be just fine. same model truck with an auto will require $3-5,000 rebuild every 150k miles.

an automatic transmission is DESIGNED to wear out. that is how it works.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Can you use the quadratic equation?
I have no use for a manual transmission vehicle. So no would be my answer.
Different strokes (almost literally) for different folks...
If you like it cool, if you don't, cool.
It might not be as efficient, but I used to own automatic transmission vehicles. My father was a mechanic all of his life. Automatic. Claimed the transmission was stronger depending on make and model of car, than manual...but I don't know...I'm an historian by trade.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I've always driven stick shift.

I hate automatic vehicles and only drive standard. The only time I'll drive automatic is if a friend asks me to from a bar if I'm not drinking etc.

Otherwise, I hate them with a passion. They are annoying and dangerous. You can't change gears and control the vehicle's speed well enough.

I don't know what percentage of Americans drive stick, but I bet it's very low. It's very difficult to find used vehicles that aren't automatics.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

HanzHenry

driving a manual is not as important today since most vehicles are going automatic. Especially trucks today.

I have always preferred a manual.. the simple ability to jump start is more than enough reason.

Problem is that it is HARD to find a manual in a desirable used vehicle, that hasn't been thrashed.

Sometimes, the manual vehicle commands a hefty premium on the used market. And the way auto transmissions fail in a very orderly KAH-CHING$$$ fashion plays a big part.

in the Dodge/Cummins and Ford/PSD used truck arena, having a 6 speed will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the value.
sometimes the difference between a $10,000 truck and a $20,000 truck is whether it is a manual.
And that is IF you can find a manual at all. 100's of automatics vs. 3-4 manuals. and that is a nationwide Autotrader search!

example, a Diesel truck with a manual trans can go 100's of thousands of miles and be just fine. same model truck with an auto will require $3-5,000 rebuild every 150k miles.

Agreed - Chevy/GMC don't offer a manual transmission on their full-size pick-ups. Had to special order a manual on my GMC Canyon. The sales guy was looking at me sideways but 160K later no problems. Now i'm stuck - want a full-size GMC but they don't make manuals.
ugh!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
While were on the topic, lets call it what it is. STANDARD TRANSMISSION.

I've since had to downsize, and get a 4 cyl, honda fit which is automatic, i still prefer using my paddle shifters. very rarly do you ever catch me being lazy, and letting the car do what it wants.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I an x racer, the traditional 4-speed manual is preferred my me, but I do enjoy the convenience‎ of automatic in heavy traffic...

I have test drove a few newer model manuals you quickly learn that that old school feel has long been left behind... its not the same as it once was. They are more like hydro-automatic's, light clutch pedal feel, easy shifts between gears, just too easy, anybody can learn how to drive a stick shift nowadays in about 20 minutes - so long as you understand the concept of why you must change gears in relationship between speed and rpm...

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I prefer manual as well.

Feels like I'm actually driving something and in more control.

3 on the tree for me at 8 yrs with Dad.

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
People don't even know how to use their turn signals.
A standard shift is just to complicated for them.

Had a GTO with a Hurst once. Yikes!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
All I've had for the last 20 years are stick shifters. Driving in town, I some time wish I had an automatic, but it really doesn't matter - as long as I have a running set of wheels I'm happy!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Not sure about the population% but I can drive manual. I think its stupid for cars but yea.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I love driving manual transmission vehicles but I currently do not have one because it's a full sized truck and it's very hard to find one with a stick shift in it.

I like the greater control with a stick shift, and they're just more fun. I would love to have another one if I get the chance. Back in the day, if you wanted to drive a small car, they were stick shift, they didn't make automatic transmissions for small cars in the mid 70s.

It's a dying skill. My kids cannot drive a stick shift, and they do not see the need.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

To be fair you can put a shift kit in to increase longevity. Autos are designed to be less jerky. Simple as that. In turn it causes more wear.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I think the older you are the percentage is probably higher (of knowing how). My dad taught me in one (3 on the tree like you) just in case I was ever in a situation where I needed to know. My daughter will also be taught how to drive one. It is a little ludicrous IMO how many people can't drive a straight gear....especially women like myself. I have been in more than one situation where if I didn't know how to drive one I would have been between a rock and a hard place.

Maybe if people live in the city they don't run into those complications as often? I have no clue. Out here in the boondocks, we like some heavy machinery and big mud trucks so it's a little more normal.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Driving in NYC would be a cake walk aside from traffic....I don't think it would be harder....no driving a manual in a Mt. town or city that is a pain. Starting and stopping on steep grade is not fun...also not all sticks are created equal.

I would bet most people over 30 have had at least some experience, and yes I think it is a vital skill. I own 3 manual vehicles.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The primary difference in automatics and manual transmission wear and tear is that when manual transmissions start to wear out you replace the clutch for around 50-200 bucks instead of 1000-2000k for an automatic transmission replacement.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join