It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida’s School-to-Prison Pipeline Is Largest in the Nation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
YES! Nation building at its finest! More prisons = more fun yay!

More nonsense politics from the great state of Florida.

Source

It used to be that getting in a schoolyard fight meant a trip to the principal’s office—detention, maybe. But in Florida, more than any other state, that schoolyard fight can lead to the student’s arrest and even felony charges. Last year 12,000 students were arrested 13,870 times in Florida public schools, the Orlando Sentinel reported. The arrests are meted out unevenly. Black students are just 21 percent of Florida youth, but make up 46 percent of all school-related referrals to law enforcement, according to the Sun Sentinel.

The majority of the arrests, 67 percent, were for infractions like fist fights, dress-code violations, and talking back—schoolyard misbehavior that, in Florida and elsewhere, increasngly results in misdemeanor criminal charges. “The vast majority of children being arrested in schools are not committing criminal acts,” Wansley Walters, secretary of the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, told the Orlando Sentinel.

While Florida is not alone in turning to police to discipline young people, it has the distinction of being the nation’s leader in school-based arrests. Last year, Florida produced the highest documented number of school-based arrests in the country—and that number was an improvement over previous years. In 2005, Florida made 28,000 arrests in school. It has logged a 39 percent drop in school arrests over the last seven years, according to the Department of Juvenile Justice. (PDF)

In most cases, 69 percent, the juvenile justice system ultimately dismisses or otherwise diverts the charges. But experts say getting hauled away from school in handcuffs nonetheless has a lifelong impact.

Oh great! When i got into a fist-fight it was usually standing up for myself and it actually turned out to be life lessons especially when i got my butt kicked. Toughened me up a little bit for the real world to. Cant say they were good or bad experiences.

69% get released but its great to scare the crap out of them and cause trauma and make them afraid of authority right?

Whats happening to our country?

Where is the spirit that built the wild west?
edit on 29-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

onequestion
. . . . . .

I once wrote a thread on this very topic.

We've become cowards. We've become "victims". We've become a nation of scared sissies.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Growing up we never had cops at any of the schools I attended, how things have changed. Page 19 of the PDF linked in the article is quite interesting as well. Looks like there are basically two general categories of offenses that result in referral, violence or substance offenses.

There are substantial differences in the types of school offenses for white youth and their non white counterparts. The Department determined that there was a much higher prevalence of black youth being charged with disorderly conduct and assault and battery compared to whites. In addition , there was a much higher frequency of drug and alcohol offenses among white youth compared to their non - white counterparts

I'll leave it up to the readers to decide what this actually means. To me it seems obvious.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Honestly. So many threads here every day just further confirm that I have made the right decision to emigrate from the USA. So much of my family can't understand why I would want to leave the great USofA.

I feel like I can see the writing on the wall but to everyone else it's written in Sanskrit!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree beezer.

I see it in the gym all the time.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
To be fair and I'm sure it will piss some off a bit.... Florida has been a leader in police state activity for some time. Have to be more worried, as it is happening now throughout the US. Not to say it isn't alarming because it is. Thanks for the info, hope more pay attention to it.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Here's a doc you may enjoy. The utter stupidity of it all makes me wonder if we are not doomed. Parents send their kids to these propaganda prisons willingly. If I had had kids they would have been out of school by now but there's no excuse for those who do it nowadays.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Meanwhile, they are grooming an entire generation to think that police officers are pure evil and have a burning hatred for anything smacking of government, rules, and authority.

That seems like a very bad thing if one desires a stable society. A very bad thing if one desires a populace that will be law abiding and report crimes.

You don't have to go far on the Internet to see the black hatred for police officers by the younger generations, and you don't have to go far to see the huge uptick in people that distrust, and even legitimately despise, the U.S. government.
edit on 30-11-2013 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Thats all of the millennials.

Theres going to be a lot of change with the next few generations.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I notice in the OP there is yet another statistic lamenting the higher incidence of blacks being charged with assault crimes than whites. I would like you to recall the vicious school bus beating of the 13 year old white kid by the 3, 15 year old black kids. I would also like you to consider the recent spate of young blacks knocking out innocent whites at random.
So having said all that, the fact that when we were young a fight meant a visit to the principals office, usually these fights resulted in scratches and bruises. Whereas it seems that when young blacks fight it results in hospitalization, and they are rarely one on one fights either, more like gang muggings and assaults. So if the school to prison pipeline in Florida is filled with "urban youths", like in the cases mentioned above, I am okay with that.
edit on 30-11-2013 by hammanderr because: punctuation

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I know several teachers in Florida public schools and several more who quit because the could not handle the job and all the blue tape that goes along with it. To teach most classes in Florida, one is more of a babysitter than an educator.

The education system in Florida is centered about getting the most money per student, it is not centered about trying to educate the youth. Many students simply do not care about failing and spend their time at school socializing and nothing else. Young teachers who want to do good and try to make a difference get frustrated because so many of their students refuse to try. When they try to contact those students parents they find out they don't care either.

I do believe the majority of students arrested on campus probably deserve it, there maybe other options but what can you do with a student who refuses to participate and does nothing but cause problems at school? Those students used to be expelled but because each student as a dollar figure, most schools will not expel those problems kids, they just wait until they do something they can be arrested for and after their brief time in juvenile hall they return to the school where they continue to be problem students. Expelling students costs the schools money because they lose a student and the funding attached to that student.

The school to prison pipeline is caused by an influx of bad students that are the result of poor parenting, not some police state trying to imprison the youth.

edit on 30-11-2013 by jrod because: abc 123

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

beezzer

onequestion
. . . . . .

I once wrote a thread on this very topic.

We've become cowards. We've become "victims". We've become a nation of scared sissies.

No.
We've become a nation that is punished for not being a victim.
The kids most likely to ever get into trouble are the ones who are defending themselves.
The system protects the agressor and prosecutes the one who is defending him or herself.
Crime is fine with the politics and social conditioning agenda.
Defense of ones self is punished agressively and vigorously.

new topics

top topics

join