It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's looking more and more like we may live in a simulation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

fenson76

ChuckNasty
To deny real physics and believe this stuff is really funny....

What's next, the universe revolves around the Earth??

...and what exactly is "real" physics? Is it quantum physics? Because that is about the most whacked out physics there is. It's about as plausible as a simulation.
edit on 11/30/2013 by fenson76 because: sp

Wow, so you believe this BS? The real physics don't indicate any of this...only make believe physics do. Thinking we live in a simulation... In a matrix world.... In a hologram.... Stop watching so many sci-fi movies!!

Dementia is a bitch...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Simulations are models of reality. Not the other way around.

Sims will not be able to think like humans until they are humans.

Because we think digitally doesn't mean the world is digital.

Without reality, there are no simulations of it.

Sims lack the necessary physical parts to experience anything.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
This just sounds to me like backdoor intelligent design theory.

To say that reality is a simulation means that someone designed the simulation.

If someone didn't design the simulation then it's not a simulation but reality. Perhaps reality can be explained with the same mathematics found in computer simulations but that doesn't mean it is one.

Stating that humans will never reach a "post-human may or may not be true. As it is human beings are just scratching the surface of what an individual identity actually means. To state that we will never reach a post-human stage is a statement based on incomplete information. In the context of identities people may already have several identities that are subdued due to childhood traumas(spanking, Statist upbringings, prison development etc). Same goes for self-evolution.

Also the paper makes assertions in regard to computing possibilities. Last I checked scientists haven't even figured out if P really equals NP. Maybe they should figure that out first before deciding what can or cannot be in terms of computing power. If P=NP then the possibilities would be endless.

I don't know, that's my take. Pretty heavy paper. I will look over it again, I may completely be missing the point.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
We are not living in a simulation.
We are living in a programmed and controlled physical world.
Our Universe is a big laboratory for other beings.
Our consciousness is part of the downloading system and everything in this Universe and in the life of everyone is controlled, even the blink of our eyes.
We do have certain Free will inside this laboratory but not enough to go outside our Bubble Universe and confront our "Creators"
The only thing that you can truly say is simulated is the huge edge of our Universe, which is only a projected video grid that slowly zooms out and it is unreachable by any human spaceship.
But if someday we reach that edge we would see all those galaxies and stars are just part of a screen projection, not even real.
I assume the location of the edge of our universe is at a distance of no more than two times our solar system.
Everything the telescopes see beyond that is just a projection on a concave screen, that could explain why the apparent expansion/contraction of the outer Universe and our solar system sometimes don't match.
edit on 1111 30 1313 by theclarificator55555 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1111 30 1313 by theclarificator55555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

OOOOOO
I's all numbers.

011011110110111001100011011001010010000001110100011010000110010100100000011011100111010101101101011000100110010101110010001000000110001001100101011000 1101101111011011010110010100100000011011000110000101110010011001110110010100100000011001010110111001101111011101010110011101101000

011100110111010101110010011100100110010101101110011001000110010101110010001000000110100101110011001000000111010001101000011001010010000001100010011001 0101110011011101000010000001100011011010000110111101101001011000110110010100101110

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Finally, OK.
If that's the only way.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Yea the heading said simulation, but they are really speaking of a possible holographic Universe. It seem's those two scientist, that were working in two different fields of science, came to the same conclusion,
It seems there is a certain resonance in outer space that is same as a hologram effect. The other guy was studying brain function and noticed that it acted like a receiver of sorts. You know how if you stub your toe your toe hurt's, but pain is being perceived by the brain, so really the pain is in brain.

I know they were trying to do some more test in space, to further test this resonance , hologram thing.

But another concept is that there never was a Big Bang, we are just a dream of the Creator. All is illusion. Nothing really Banged.

edit on 30-11-2013 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I have read all posts and I find it amazing that so many people believe this simulation poop. There is no proof of any kind of evidence to suggest such wild theories which are based on speculation and over active immaginations. There is no more of a likelhood that we are a sumulation as there is that we came from nothing (the big bang)! We just dont know and that is why we have these 2 theories which are rest assurred both wrong. Nor re we an hologram!

There is much that we do not know and understand about our existence but simulation theory is nothing like the answer. We are for some reason protected or kept from the truth (assuming some of it is known) for reasons that drive mankind.

I do believe that we will understand much more over the next 20 to 30 years and I also think that we have some surprises in store.

We will just have to wait and see......

edit on 30-11-2013 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

RP2SticksOfDynamite
There is no more of a likelhood that we are a sumulation as there is that we came from nothing (the big bang)!

You did not come from nothing - you are nothing.

In your experience when you are in deep sleep what is there? What is the experience in deep sleep? Do you know of any thing in deep sleep? Are you even aware of your own existence?

Then when the eyes open there is something seen - something is appearing.

Are you what is appearing if you were not anything in deep sleep?
Until the light comes on you cannot be aware of existence - are you what is seen or are you empty perception?

You are nothing seeing an appearing something.
edit on 30-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

Simulation would imply cheat codes.

Simulation or not, I could personally care less. It doesn't affect the tangible experiential nature of it unless we have those cheat codes.

Thus, no cheat codes, no matter, meh.

The cheat codes are connected to the chakras. 11:11

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
we can Not be in a sim.
as we think we are in a sim?
the sim, would keep us from thinking we are in a sim.
as it messes up the sim.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Richard Terrile
What I find intriguing is, if there is a creator, and there will be a creator in the future and it will be us, this also means if there’s a creator for our world, here, it’s also us. This means we are both God and servants of God, and that we made it all. What I find inspiring is that, even if we are in a simulation or many orders of magnitude down in levels of simulation, somewhere along the line something escaped the primordial ooze to become us and to result in simulations that made us. And that’s cool.

This approximates my understanding of the reality of our current paradigm; It is not currently known whether the universe is infinite or not, but let us assume for a moment that it is. Something that is infinite cannot, by definition, be many, because manyness implies finity. To have infinity, you must have unity, which is what Huángbò is getting at down in the quote below.

BlueMule
I would agree its a simulation, but I believe its not a nuts n' bolts computer making it. I believe 'there’s something magical about consciousness'... there's a level of collective consciousness creating the simulation. That's why our own psychic ability can alter probability; can penetrate time and space and matter.

"All the Buddhas and all sentient beings are nothing but the One Mind, beside which nothing exists." -Huang Po

Let us for a moment consider some definitions from Merriam-Webster:

sim·u·la·tion

: something that is made to look, feel, or behave like something else especially so that it can be studied or used to train people

1: the act or process of simulating

2: a sham object : counterfeit

3a : the imitative representation of the functioning of one system or process by means of the functioning of another

3b : examination of a problem often not subject to direct experimentation by means of a simulating device

il·lu·sion

: something that looks or seems different from what it is : something that is false or not real but that seems to be true or real

: an incorrect idea : an idea that is based on something that is not true

1a obsolete : the action of deceiving

1b (1) : the state or fact of being intellectually deceived or misled : misapprehension (2) : an instance of such deception

2a (1) : a misleading image presented to the vision (2) : something that deceives or misleads intellectually

2b (1) : perception of something objectively existing in such a way as to cause misinterpretation of its actual nature (2) : hallucination 1 (3) : a pattern capable of reversible perspective

Bolded by me for emphasis.

Now, obviously this is a case of semantics, but I feel as though illusion is a more accurate word to describe the reality structure we are currently experiencing than simulation. A very powerful illusion that we collectively manifest together as one mind, one tendril, one root of the great tree of life, the Yggdrasil that is the infinite entirety of being.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I always find this theory interesting.

Bostrum et al, look at our reality as being part of an up and running simulation, could it not equally be possible for our reality to be the first run, that our future development be what gives rise to everything being posited?

After all the information has an origin point, why can't we be the origin point?

Is it not also possible, that much like virtual particles, which borrow the energy of their destruction to exist in the the first instance, that the point of origin could be retrospective, i.e we simulated our existence in the future to play out the present?

No-one take me too seriously....I was brushing my teeth when this occurred to me! lol

edit on 30-11-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

this isn't 3 mystics on hallucinogens

I think its just as plausible to say that the world is run by retarded monkeys on acid as it is to say the world is a simulation.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
So who made the first simulation?

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

This Universe is Finite, as it had a beginning it will have end, the end of Space/Time that is the Omega Point, the Alpha Point was the beginning.

Right after the Alpha, there was no structure as, with time, the lattice's of structure were formed, the first atom formed was hydrogen, then helium. The Universe was at fist chaos, now a order is beset in place, as head towards the Omega Point the plan is already set, this was not random, but order 1, 2, 3, 4, and on to the largest practical number of use in this Universe.

New heavier element's are to come, but not one made in star's, but made by a thinking creature, thing.
The Universe is evolving, it is changing. A plan was in place from start. The AI is coming to Earth, as I said before it just numbers, once the numbers get large enough, and they will. The human mind is only about 1 Terabyte, of must be ram.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
So who made the first simulation?

The same one's that made you there avatar and r playing you on their game boy right now.

Watch out for that gravity wave!, ouh!, that was close.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

RP2SticksOfDynamite
There is no more of a likelhood that we are a sumulation as there is that we came from nothing (the big bang)!

You did not come from nothing - you are nothing.

In your experience when you are in deep sleep what is there? What is the experience in deep sleep? Do you know of any thing in deep sleep? Are you even aware of your own existence?

Then when the eyes open there is something seen - something is appearing.

Are you what is appearing if you were not anything in deep sleep?
Until the light comes on you cannot be aware of existence - are you what is seen or are you empty perception?

You are nothing seeing an appearing something.
edit on 30-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

I am only nothing when all conciousness has gone. If Im asleep next to my partner who is awake then I am something to her. Myself I am in a hibernative state... not nothing. When I am dead and burnt to cinders then I am nothing but only in a physical sense because I may well be in the mind and thoughts of existing physicaal beings.

I dont have to open my eyes to know that something is there. I can touch my partners breast with my eyes closed but shes there. Blind people do this every moment of their lifes. So seeing doesnt mean anything!

Until I awake I dont need to know about existence. Whats the point in waking to nothing. If you did then you would be aware that you are nothing but there we have a paradox!

So being nothing and coming from nothing is impossible!!

Now, the point of being born or being, living and dying is not nothing but it maybe pointless because nothing is not nothing and not nothing is the same which implies something. Which further implies that we have much to learn and that aint going to be via simulation but rather via a physical reality and no doubt driven by the laws of physics now and the future and the mathematics of our exixtence!

Boy that was clever....and not a simulation!

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OOOOOO

Ah, but quantum physics is showing us that both space and time are illusions, or rather, they are human concepted methods which attempt to measure certain aspects of what we perceive as reality, but in actuality, these heretofore "solid" constructs (Time and Space) are proving to be malleable and elusive.

For instance...

Movies feel like they have time right? They take a couple hours to watch, and things happen in them. But in reality a movie is just a series of frames played in the right order at the right speed. Time in the movie is an artificial construct.

So in the real world, it is quite possible that "time" is just a "series of frames" and that we just watch them in a certain order (possibly due to entropy, but a few people argue that time is completely reversible).

As we know, all states of matter are just different states of vibratory energy, some vibrating faster and some slower. The point is that the energy is infinite, which is why anything exists in the first place. I suspect we will also find that this infinite energy is intelligent, which will no doubt rub some of our hardline atheist friends the wrong way, but I think those types are among the douchiest types of all to engage with, so I'm okay with it.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
So in a simulated existence, don't you think people might simulate misery, or being terminally ill, or being confined to a wheelchair out of their simulation? I would think their would be the possibility for more control over our lives if this was a just simulation.
I just can't buy into this theory. I really feel like this is the fantasy of a Super Nerd, or an atheist's wet dream.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join