It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picking up my new telescope tomorrow!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm picking up a Celestron 11 Ultima and wanted to see if anyone on here had used one and would be interested in telling me what their thoughts are on it. It's a pretty good kit, with solar viewer and software controller plus like 15 different eye pieces and two DSLR camera adapters.

I'm going to start using the SkyX software since it's compatible and wanted to see if anyone else had used that as well to give me pointers or info

I'm so excited!

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarObserver

Judging by the Am azon Reviews....you've got yourself a nice piece of kit......enjoy!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Here's a couple pictures. Not sure if the 65-45 refractor is the right thing or not.

I'm hoping I can get some cool planet shots with it.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

That's...INCREDIBLE...the mount alone. Wow. The best thing I might be able to afford (hopefully) would be a 8" dobson or something.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Nice telescope, I am sure you will enjoy it. I have had my eye on a reverse binocular telescope. The RB-16 manufactured by JMI Telescopes.

The RB-16 by JMI Telescopes

Haven't found the time to have a place to put it or buy it for that matter. Maybe a nice retirement hobby sometime in the future.
edit on 29-11-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eManym

This is absolutely amazing! I'd love a set up like that some day... Well I want my own radio telescope farm...

Also not sure if I can say it so of not mods please edit my post.

But I love craigslist. I always find cool stuff on there. The gentleman who sold it to me is 68 years old and has been an amateur astronomer for 40 years. He called this "My pride and joy." Which I told him was still understating it

edit on 29-11-2013 by SolarObserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Solar, if you haven't already, spend some time learning the names of the bright stars and also how to polar align the scope and you will find you have a good instrument. Do join a local astronomy club, you will likely get some good pointers! If you haven't worked with an 11in scope like that before, get used to it a bit before trying photography. Moving around in the dark with expensive optics attached to cables takes a little getting used to. Adding cameras, a laptop and more cables too soon is asking for trouble.

There's a lot to learn! Take the time to start with the simple stuff first: just observing and piggyback photos. If you try to cut too many corners, you will probably end up getting very frustrated. The best path I know of is first to observe, then learn piggyback. After that some prime focus and finally eyepiece projection. An intermediate step worth trying is piggybacking a smaller scope with the camera attached and guiding with the 11 inch. If you are interested in astro photos, good astro photos require good technique as much as good equipment, merely OK ones are hard enough they will take some practice. Getting really bad astro photos is pretty easy. The 11 inch scope you are getting is capable of great photos, shortcomings are going to be (pretty much) all technique and patience.

BTW: you will find that you will probably use the low power eyepieces the most. High power eyepieces work out only on the best nights (dark skies with very still air and no twinkling stars), there aren't usually many of those.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm envious - that's a nice collection of kit!

The advice above about getting to grips with the basics is very good, especially about aligning it. All the motor alignment stuff in the world isn't going to help if you haven't got it set up right in the first place.

Filters, if you have them, are very useful - you'll be amazed at just how bright the moon is.

Photography is a great buzz - if you have a dSLR get yourself a remote control for it. The tiniest vibration from moving your feet can ruin your photos, so the ability to be a few feet away once you have it set up is really handy.

If you can afford it, get yourself a webcam for it. There are some pretty decent quality budget ones out there and there is software available that can take several frames from a movie and 'stack' them to get a good quality still.

All in good time though - the moon will blow you away, and the thrill of seeing Jupiter's bands and its moons is something. I've yet to spot Saturn through mine - looking forward to it!

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Its a great scope! But hope you are strong, because it is heavy!!

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I am so JEALOUS! UGH

My Nexstar 5 is envious! Of course it has just been cloudy and cold....

Good luck and if you do some photos post them!

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have an old Mizar newton telescope lying on the attic , I once in a exiting mood bought it from some guy who needed money.. sadly a few days after I came to the conclusion that he didn't gave me the oculars

top topics

join