It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby Dies After Parents Trade Hospital For Church After Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

MOSCOW, November 25 (RIA Novosti) – A couple in Russia face jail after their religious zeal compelled them to drive their child, injured in a car crash, to church for an urgent baptism rather than to hospital.

The two-month-old infant was dead by the time it was delivered into the hands of the priest, Fontanka.ru news website said Sunday.

The boy sustained a brain injury in a minor crash in St. Petersburg on Saturday despite being in a child safety seat, the report said.

The worried parents sped him up to the church because “otherwise he would be denied the Kingdom of Heaven,” investigators cited them as saying, Fontanka.ru reported.

Now the two parents, both in their forties, are being investigated for “failure to assist a person in danger,” punishable with up to a year in prison.

City police confirmed the boy’s death, but gave no details.

“This is superstition, not religion,” an Orthodox Church spokesman told Fontanka.ru. “They should have gone to the hospital, it’s only human.”

“A psychiatric ward is the best temple for such people,” an unidentified Investigative Committee official was cited as saying.

Religious sentiment is on the rise of Russia, where 83 percent of the population described themselves as believers as of 2012, according to pollster Levada. In 1991, that figure was just 24 percent.

RIANOVOSTI

At first I thought this was another Followers of Christ incident then I was surprised to find out this was in Russia. In a way I can understand they were fearful for his soul but if they had gone to a hospital the child would have had a chance at living. What they did was remove any chance at all for their child's future. Even the church spokesman knows what they did was wrong. It is unfortunate but when superstitions override common sense incidents like this are bound to happen again.

Russia is one of only three countries in the world where religion is on the rise. This is a very sad example of how religion can be detrimental to humanity.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There is more than one factor for this incident. Where did this happen ( remote village, city etc.)? What was the financialstatus of the parents? What was their education? Psychologicaly stable? Background experience with hospitals? Their age? Was the baby going to die regardless of the next choices? Did the parents have a medical background making them able to make that statement?

Nothing is black or white. With over a billion christians do you really think that incident is worthy of an argument against religion?

An exemple of poor human judgment at best.
edit on 29-11-2013 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It's sad they didn't rush the child to a hospital but seems like more atheist/religion baiting in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I am an atheist and lesbian so I am sure Russia in general would do everything but welcome me with open arms. However, all that aside...I find the fact that between 200 and 400k U.S. citizens die every year from preventable malpractice in the U.S. healthcare system a much larger concern.

Compare that to the numbers of the religious extreme who deny their children, or themselves service and you'll see that statistically....maybe they aren't so crazy after all.

That's my two cents. Just thought I'd chime in a little.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

This is a very sad example of how religion can be detrimental to humanity.

I can't agree with that. That's about like claiming hospitals are "detrimental to humanity", because that's where many people die.

It seems to me that you are taking a very sad tragedy, and using it as an excuse to condemn religion.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Golantrevize

There is more than one factor for this incident. Where did this happen ( remote village, city etc.)?

Does that matter? You don’t get medical at a church and it clearly states their motivation.

What was the financialstatus of the parents?

Seriously. That’s kind of sick. I would trade anything for my child’s life even my own.

What was their education?

That is a valid question.

Psychologicaly stable?

That is another valid question.

Background experience with hospitals? Their age?

Not really valid. Why does that matter?

Was the baby going to die regardless of the next choices? Did the parents have a medical background making them able to make that statement?

Let me refer you to the OP I wrote because I did cover this scenario.

Nothing is black or white. With over a billion christians do you really think that incident is worthy of an argument against religion?

Is it really an argument against Christianity? Is that how you perceive it? How about looking at this a different way. Would you still feel the same if they believed in Voodoo and went to a witch doctor for a sacrifice?

An exemple of poor human judgment at best.

Err no at best it’s an example of extremely poor reasoning and belief in the intangible that removed any chance of life the child had.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

If it were not for their religious beliefs do you think they would have sought medical help for the child physical body instead of seeking help for its "soul"?
edit on 29-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I am starting to think no one does this, no one I've ever met and some were fundamentalists, ever does this, so unless they belong to a specific cult religion that denies medical treatment, this child was murdered BY BLACK OPS by a Saudi Plant president who represents the most fundamentalist primitive psychotic groups on earth....!!!! AND I'M SICK OF IT AND THAT NO ONE STOPS THIS AND HIM.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

If it were not for their religious beliefs do you think they would have sought medical help for the child physical body instead of seeking help for its "soul"?

I don't know anything about the parents, or even their religious beliefs, so I can't really give a valid answer to that. Perhaps they felt the child was going to die anyway. Even atheists can, and sometimes do, make very poor choices.

I strongly suspect that the ignorance of the parents is a much larger factor, than religion might be.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 201America/Chicago11RAmerica/Chicago2013-11-29T21:49:42-06:00Fridayu42America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have heard of certain religions believing that the baby needs to be baptized or it would not be permitted into heaven. I have no first hand knowledge of this as it isn't my religion nor anyone I have known personally. I have read some on it, and talked to some of the chaplains/preists/etc. etc. Some (sects) in this religion believe that since we are born into sin, then if (even) a baby dies without baptism they are not "saved" from their original sin. This may be why this couple did what they did.

I am not excusing it, but maybe they knew the baby was dead and the trip to the hospital was farther anyway? Maybe their belief did cloud their judgement.

My beliefs are obviously far from the parent's in the article. Their grief may have played a part in the decision... maybe shock. It's tragic regardless. If the baby could have been saved then the tragedy is only magnified 100 fold.

It's sad but I don't think this happens enough to paint all believers with the "blind follower to the detriment of anything and everything" brush. Nobody of ANY religion I have ever known personally would even consider something like this an option, nor would I.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Yup, most likely this is fuel to create hatred for Christians even though most Christians even fundamentalists don't do this.

The point is, if you believe in the bible then you MUST support this type of behavior because this is what is promoted in the bible.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well ,can't help but also wonder about Obama Care and who lost their insurance......

new topics

top topics

join