It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON sweeps near sun, shows signs of life

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

daryllyn

soficrow
reply to post by TheStev

...I hope Phage or another expert can tell us exactly what we're seeing...

Phage has gone on record -repeatedly- insisting ISON is destroyed. I too, would like to hear what he says now.

But EVERY source available said it was gone at the time. I thought it was gone, too.... lots of people did.
the experts said it had gone before its close encounter,they did not wait to see if it reapeared. There were lots on ats who said wait and see however even after it reappeared they still proclaimed its gone. People should learn to trust their eyes and not other peoples "superior " eyes.

link   
The path of ISON is it still the same after coming out for the other side of the sun? Do we know for sure?

link   

soficrow
reply to post by daryllyn

But EVERY source available said it was gone at the time. I thought it was gone, too.... lots of people did.

Not quite true. A number of professional and amateur astronomers questioned the official analysis, and kept looking for evidence - which is how breakthroughs are made in every discipline. Conversely, blind unthinking unhesitant support of the status quo is what blocks access to truth.

I must have missed those then. The first official word that said anything to the contrary, that I saw, was on twitter and not until at least 1 in the morning. And, I was looking hard for anything saying it survived because I wanted it to be true for Cheesy

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

TSOM87
The path of ISON is it still the same after coming out for the other side of the sun? Do we know for sure?

Sungrazer Comets ‏@SungrazerComets 14h
.@real_matt_a Correct! Comet #ISON absolutely will NOT have changed direction/orbit, regardless of what it's doing right now.

Comet #ISON's orbit will NOT have changed appreciably during perihelion. Perhaps a *tiny* nudge but absolutely nothing to worry about.

From the Sungrazercomets twitter account that's run by Karl Battams.
edit on 29pmFri, 29 Nov 2013 12:57:45 -060013FridayFriday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

According to Karl Battams:

Comet #ISON's orbit will NOT have changed appreciably during perihelion. Perhaps a *tiny* nudge but absolutely nothing to worry about.

twitter.com...

I have no intention of dragging Phage over the coals, but I do think it's important to note how quick he was to assume an 'absolute' position on this subject. I have no doubt that it was a reaction to some of the more 'quick to speculate' members of this community. It's an understandable reaction, but that doesn't make it right.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

soficrow

Not quite true. A number of professional and amateur astronomers questioned the official analysis, and kept looking for evidence - which is how breakthroughs are made in every discipline. Conversely, blind unthinking unhesitant support of the status quo is what blocks access to truth.

daryllyn

soficrow

I must have missed those then. The first official word ...

Officials and experts can be wrong. As symptomoftheuniverse points out:

the experts said it had gone before its close encounter,they did not wait to see if it reapeared. There were lots on ats who said wait and see however even after it reappeared they still proclaimed its gone.

edit on 29/11/13 by soficrow because: add quote

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

ya and all the camera's,, and servers got broke,, pity,

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

daryllyn

soficrow
reply to post by TheStev

...I hope Phage or another expert can tell us exactly what we're seeing...

Phage has gone on record -repeatedly- insisting ISON is destroyed. I too, would like to hear what he says now.

That's what happens when you turn into a so called "expert' by repeating blindly whatever the masses tell you is the truth, based on someone else's research, instead of actually going all the way and learning how to research and verify the information by yourself.

Someone says "its dead" and everyone else starts to repeat that anywhere they can until it turns into the accepted truth, then someone else discovers it isn't dead at all.. well that's embarrassing lol

edit on 29-11-2013 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Worth repeating:

That's what happens when you turn into a so called "expert' by repeating blindly whatever the masses tell you is the truth, based on someone else's research, instead of actually going and learning how to research for yourself.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I see A LOT of people giving phage a hard time because he said the comet was dead... but for quite a while... every single source available said that ISON didn't make it.

Im not having a go at him, just having some fun

I personally imagine him not as a person but some sort of experiment consisting of a warehouse full of old PCs that have been rewired and connected then made into the semblance of human consciousness. Computers dont have feelings so I dont think even if he saw it he would have been offended

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
When I first heard about ISON I thought it might be the return of Jesus. Then when I heard ISON was gone I thought maybe I wasn't accepted to come along with Jesus/have a second coming. When I read this it feels like: "ok, you were really close to going to hell, but we're going to give you a last chance to be accepted to come with Jesus". I hope it is Jesus and I hope I will be accepted.
edit on 111130Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:11:56 -0600201356pAmerica/Chicago2013-11-29T13:11:56-06:0030 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Most legitimate sources I looked at stated that Ison APPEARED to have died, they are typical scientific articles. The people at NASA never said it died for sure. They know better. A comet not long ago did the same thing. Phage must have read the articles wrong as did many others. I try to read exactly what the articles say and try to identify any terms of uncertainty that are used in their sentences.
edit on 29-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

soficrow

Also very much worth repeating.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

introspectionist
When I first heard about ISON I thought it might be the return of Jesus. Then when I heard ISON was gone I thought maybe I wasn't accepted to come along with Jesus/have a second coming. When I read this it feels like: "ok, you were really close to going to hell, but we're going to give you a last chance to be accepted to come with Jesus". I hope it is Jesus and I hope I will be accepted.
edit on 111130Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:11:56 -0600201356pAmerica/Chicago2013-11-29T13:11:56-06:0030 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

Jesus was dead for three days, this comet only died for three hours.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

that would be "Cosmic Hours",, though,,, lol

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

rickymouseJesus was dead for three days, this comet only died for three hours.

A day is just one rotation of our planet. Who knows how quickly ISON is rotating

Back on the more scientific, for those interested here is Karl Battam's current working theory for what happened:

As comet ISON plunged towards to the Sun, it began to fall apart, losing not giant fragments but at least a lot of reasonably sized chunks. There's evidence of very large dust in the form of that long thin tail we saw in the LASCO C2 images. Then, as ISON plunged through the corona, it continued to fall apart and vaporize, and lost its coma and tail completely just like Lovejoy did in 2011. (We have our theories as to why it didn't show up in the SDO images but that's not our story to tell - the SDO team will do that.) Then, what emerged from the Sun was a small but perhaps somewhat coherent nucleus, that has resumed emitting dust and gas for at least the time being. In essence, the tail is growing back, as Lovejoy's did.

His intro to that blog post is a great comment on how the whole ISON story has played out:

I'll just say this upfront right now: whatever you read in the following blog post, please feel free to assume it is completely incorrect and the truth is actually quite contrary to what I'm saying. It has been - and continues to be - one of those days.

www.isoncampaign.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I have been on ATS long enough to whiteness Phage being wrong, which is rather rare, and he does admit it when it happens, given the chance. Phage is human like the rest of us and so is not infallible. The trick is to learn from one's mistakes in attempt to make one a better person.

As for ISON, or any other comet, I don’t get real excited as to the unpredictable nature of comets. It seems that astronomers are almost always surprised by their behavior. The one thing that we can expect from the so called experts is that they will be astounded.

Comet ISON has proven once again that the nature of comets is far more complicated than simply dirty snowballs originating from the outer solar system. Especially since NASA, JPL, ESU et al… have data proving that they are not dirty snowballs nor icy dirtballs and seem to have originated from the inner solar system.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Because I'm too lazy to make individual replies because I am sick:

I was only pointing out that even experts thought it was dead, and they reported it as such... which of course spread like wildfire across the internet. So naturally, that's what people would think.

It was assumed to be dead in part because:

As the comet plunged through the solar atmosphere, and failed to put on a show in the SDO images, we understandably concluded that ISON had succumbed to its passage and died a fiery death. Except it didn't. Well, maybe...

Source

I guess I am not as quick to write off the opinions of experts, you know... the ones that spent years getting their educations and years studying comets and their behavior, as the ATS community at large is.. apparently.

Everyone is wrong sometimes and experts aren't immune to errors in their assumptions. I know that I make mistakes... and I'm wrong at times... everyone is. No one is perfect... not even experts.

We have our theories as to why it didn't show up in the SDO images but that's not our story to tell - the SDO team will do that.

The failure of ISON to put on a show for SDO is in my opinion, at least part the reason that ISON's obituary was written too soon. I, for one, am not going to discount and write off everything they say based on this because their knowledge and expertise in the area is still highly valuable and more credible than the opinions of arm chair experts on the internet. You wouldn't go to a dentist and expect him to treat a broken leg, know what I mean?

ISON just happens to be full of surprises, which if you have been following its saga for any length of time, should be painfully obvious. In the coming days, as more data comes in, and observations are made, we will all have a better idea than we do now as to what actually went on.

edit on 29pmFri, 29 Nov 2013 13:49:51 -060013FridayFriday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

rickymouse

Most legitimate sources I looked at stated that Ison APPEARED to have died, they are typical scientific articles. The people at NASA never said it died for sure. They know better. A comet not long ago did the same thing. Phage must have read the articles wrong as did many others. I try to read exactly what the articles say and try to identify any terms of uncertainty that are used in their sentences.
edit on 29-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)
the conspiracy theorist in me tells me that they new it would survive and they tried to make people think it had gone,they did not appreciate how bright that thing was on exit. Imagine if isons orbit is in fact the same orbit but in reverse. We would not see it coming directly from the sun. Now what are they gonna do? Pure speculation of course but if the comet disapears in the suns daylight then its make your peace time.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

As you say, it was 'assumed' that it was dead. And sure, there were good reasons for that assumption - but it was always an assumption. When people treat an assumption as if it were a concrete fact, that is one of the most dangerous things.

I guess I am not as quick to write off the opinions of experts, you know... the ones that spent years getting their educations and years studying comets and their behavior, as the ATS community at large is.. apparently.

I think you are guilty of black and white thinking with this statement. Is it not possible to question the experts, and discuss the possibility that they are wrong, without 'writing them off' or belittling their training and experience? The way you write that, you make it seem like anyone who was unwilling to accept the assumption that ISON had died was claiming total intellectual superiority over the scientists involved.

It is possible to respectfully dispute the opinions of experts.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join