It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

73 year old alzheimers patient shot by home owner in yard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
another sad, senseless shooting that should not have happened. the home owner shot him, AFTER he had called the police. the man was not behaving violently, but was till shot. why have we become so "shoot first and ask later"?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Tough situation.

Middle of the night and this guy hears someone knock on his door then goes outside and see hims..After giving him audible warnings the guy with Alzheimers doesn't respond the home owner shoots him.

To the home owner he has no idea it's an autism victim and you can sit there and say "another shoot first" but I am sure that guy is thinking "this guy isn't responding to me, he is on my property and I better eliminate that threat before he hurts me or my family" .

I know there will be people that arm chair quarterback this situation saying how they would have done it exactly right , the reality is anyone that says that does not know it.

It's a horrible situation that I hope I never have to deal with.

edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3010ppm by opethPA because: fixing autism

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Perhaps he was just saving the police some bullets.
After all, the cops would have just shot him the same when he "didnt respond to verbal commands".

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Middle of the night and this guy hears someone knock on his door then goes outside and see hims..After giving him audible warnings the guy with autism doesn't respond the home owner shoots him.

I had Autism once but it was cured when I had my Alzheimer's.

I had Alzheimer's once but it was.. wait. I don't have Autism. Hold on.

Banana.

edit on 28-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

They don't even sound like they want to press charges on this idiot! Since when is it ok to shoot someone just for being in your yard? I could understand if they said the guy attacked after being hollered at, but just for not responding? If that was my family member the trigger happy boyfriend would be in a world of sh#t and whoever the guy in the video is would be being sued royal.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

alfa1

Perhaps he was just saving the police some bullets.
After all, the cops would have just shot him the same when he "didnt respond to verbal commands".

The difference being that police wear bullet proof vests and are supposed to be trained to handle the situation. Also, they carry a couple non-lethal weapons for subduing people.

Not really directed at you, but the argument pops up in threads, "What happens if a citizen did what the police do, then you'd all be cheering."

I suppose no one is cheering in this case. Any decent person defending themselves would probably be eaten up by this the rest of their life.

The police, after shooting him dead would probably charge the family with neglect.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

boncho
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread985173/pg1#pid17258072]post by I had Autism once but it was cured when I had my Alzheimer's.

I had Alzheimer's once but it was.. wait. I don't have Autism. Hold on.
Banana.

Cool story.
I fixed my post.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

why have we become so "shoot first and ask later"?

seems like the military industrial complex should be posed the same question. maybe individuals would follow suit if there government was held accountable for there actions and the government changed there changed there tactics.

is alzhemiers curable? from what I have seen it is a horrible diesese that only causes suffering for all involved. maybe this guy did the oldman a favor(end cynicism)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Theres no real way to justify this, If this was a 73 year old man walking around waving a pistol or katana then it would be understandable. To shoot an old unarmed man when there is a house in between him and you is just senseless.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

That's my impression too. I feel the same in that I don't see the threat level required to kill someone. What if it had been someone incapable of speaking for one reason or another, being shot for not responding.

Seems like the guy got pleasure from the idea that he had free reign to shoot whoever was at his door for the slightest reason and this guy was a dead cert ripper opportunity.

Oo

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

true, but they had ALREADY called the police. they should have waited for them to handle situation.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

The law of the land should be you can only take a life if life is at risk........THE END.

Property and possessions are not worth a life. And yes I am very,very,very pro 2nd.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

thank you for saying that. i am very in the middle. i feel that there are too many people now who are terrified and/or just want to be able to to have an excuse to kill, or both. and they are all armed.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
what a terrible story..doesnt make any sense to me to shoot someone who isnt posing imminent threat.
glad i live in canada.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I think the home owner really "jumped the gun here".....pun intended.

If the cops were called and the old man was in the yard but did not pose an immediate threat, there should have been no reason to pull the trigger.

And why did he take 4 shots?
edit on 28-11-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Many gun owners I am sure feel the way I do. To be honest even if someone was inside my home and was not a threat I would not pull the trigger.

Life is precious. And so is the right to bear arms. I honestly believe in my heart the 2nd is the only thing standing between tyranny and freedom.

TV,Radio,Phone,Car you can add every else it does not equal the life of even the worst person on earth.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
If it was a legal shoot I say great job.

If it wasn't than prosecute him.

If that bothers you than petition to have the law changed. How about charging the caregiver here with neglect or something as this guy shouldn't have been wandering around.

If he lived by himself then chalk it up to bad luck.

I don't blame the shooter whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

SubTruth

Many gun owners I am sure feel the way I do. To be honest even if someone was inside my home and was not a threat I would not pull the trigger.

Life is precious. And so is the right to bear arms. I honestly believe in my heart the 2nd is the only thing standing between tyranny and freedom.

TV,Radio,Phone,Car you can add every else it does not equal the life of even the worst person on earth.

Not directing this at you but that attitude is why tyranny exists. When one side believes in violence and the other doesn't, guess who wins?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Why is everyone assuming the trespasser was the victim. Why is the old man innocent? Because of his age? Because he had Alzheimer's? I didn't know people with Alzheimer's were incapable of evil.

Come trespassing on my yard at night and see what happens. It's not the police's job to protect my family,that responsibility falls solely on my shoulders.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Wilson says charges could be filed but says Hendrix didn't violate any laws by walking out into his own yard.

Yeah, maybe he didn't break any laws, but he sure acted like a complete dumbass. There is no need to go confront someone on your lawn if they aren't actively breaking in or destroying/stealing property (even then I don't know if I would). The guy knocked on the door. Big freaking deal. Call the cops, assume the worst and be ready, but don't go out there and get all Rambo for no reason. Puts you at risk, puts the neighbors at risk, puts the family at risk. It's just a bad idea all around. And for what end? To apprehend the guy yourself? Again, he was knocking on the door.

You can be completely within your rights and still be a gigantic asshat. To me this is like a guy pulling a gun on someone that just robbed a store and was running out. Yeah, maybe it's legal, but is it worth it?

The age of the deceased gentleman and his advanced stage of Alzheimer's don't factor in to the thing for me. I would be saying the same thing if it was some punkass drunk kid, or someone with a mental disability or just some idiot that went to the wrong house and thought his buddy was joking around. Even an actual threat. You don't need to go confront someone. It's a completely useless endeavor and the only reason for it is ego boosting unless the person was destroying property, harming another person, or stealing something. Even then, only when hurting someone else would I think it acceptable to shoot. My car isn't worth a life (and I love her), even a scummy one.

Rather get my windows broken, shed set on fire, car peed on than kill someone. Things change if you get in my home, but stay outside and I'm not shooting or investigating unless you start shooting at me.

I guess I'm just anti gun.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join