It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Born To Run

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
According to a new theroy by biologist Dennis Bramble at the University of Utah and his colleague Dan Lieberman of Harvard University, Pheidippides was not just a hero of Greece but a perfect expression of what humans were evolved to do. Its was the human abillty to run long distances at a reasonoblly fast place that was the key to our evolutionary edge on the savannah of Africa.

www.newscientist.com
We are born to run. According to new research, our bodies are highly evolved for running long distances, an ability that allowed our ancestors to conquer the African savannahs.

Proponents of the theory say that long-distance running may be an even more significant evolutionary adaptation than bipedal walking, an ability which may have emerged with the appearance of the first hominids some 6 million years ago.

It is true that we cannot keep up with the fastest four-legged mammals. The speediest humans can sprint at barely 10 metres per second for just 15 seconds, whereas horses and greyhounds can gallop twice as fast for many minutes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Are we all marathon men? At first glance this new theory seems reasonable but only time will tell if it stands peer verification. While man's abillity to run long distance is greater than most large predators, there are many exceptions not the least of which are wolves. However if supported by evdence, this may also shed light on the relatonships of humans and canids.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Sorry, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Humans can't outrun lions, dogs, leopards, let alone bears. All these can run 30mph. Bears have been known to run over 30mph for over 12 hours at a time.

Humans have no claws, or sharp teeth or strength. God gave that to apes with there 3 inch fangs and strength enough to kill a lion by breaking it's neck.

No, the only thing we have going for us is brain power.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss

It is a little strange i must admit.

But something I can relate to this.

Who doesnt like to run? It's true that almost everyone likes to run and feels better after they run. Well I do

Yep, you have brain power you can out smart the strongest opponent, unless your in a boxing match

Vorta

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vorta

It is a little strange i must admit.

But something I can relate to this.

Who doesnt like to run? It's true that almost everyone likes to run and feels better after they run. Well I do

I hate running, the main reason I dont like soccer (Foooootbol)

But Im lazy

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Humans can't outrun lions, dogs, leopards, let alone bears. All these can run 30mph. Bears have been known to run over 30mph for over 12 hours at a time.

Unlike most mammals, or any other primates, we can run at a reasonable pace for many kilometres, quick enough to keep up with a trotting horse or dog.

Simple brain power, according to you, has allowed us to colonize space and do other things not even imaginable in an animal's mind.

Never think you are smaller than an animal.

Surf

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You know I think it's possible that we may all just be fat and lazy and out of shape combared to our ancestors. Of course I can't think of any humans that can be marathon men by nature. Anybody think it's possible that we've devolved because we no longer need to run fast thanks to our intelligence (only compared to animals). When was the last time the entire human race depended on the ability to run fast for long distances?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Anybody think it's possible that we've devolved because we no longer need to run fast thanks to our intelligence (only compared to animals). When was the last time the entire human race depended on the ability to run fast for long distances?

Intersting hypothesis.

I can only think of one, Democrats running to Canada when they heard that Bush won.

Surf

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
How do you know they didn't run to their gun cabinets and start selecting weapons to shoot every Republican on sight?

top topics

join