The GOP’s Hunger Games: More Food Stamp Cuts for the Holidays?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Seriously Mom? If that's all you infer from my post, then you've already lost the argument. Not to mention credibility.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
if you get hungry you can just dumpster dive

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

I was under the influence of Merlot. Were they not robberies? What was your point?
edit on 1-12-2013 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The OP is extremely confused and mislead by the idiots on TV. READ AN ECONOMICS BOOK PLEASE before you go off quoting these people.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENEDS WHEN YOU DEFICIT SPEND AND MONEY PRINT?????????????????????????? HELLO.....IT HURTS THE PEOPLE ON THE BOTTOM, NOT THE RICH. IT'S ACTUALLY A DIRECT TAX ON ALL OF US AND WE SIT BACK AND LET THE IDIOTS IN DC DO IT BECAUASE WE BELIEVE THEM WHEN THEY SAY IT'S GOOD FOR US.

WHO IS DOING THIS FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS TO MAKE HIMSELF LOOK BETTER?????? BARACK OBAMA, THE GREAT MESSIAH OF IDIOTS. 6 TRILLION IN 5 YEARS IS THE BEST WAY TO INCREASE FOOD STAMP DEPENDENCE, BY BEATING DOWN THE MIDDLE CLASS AND POOR. BUT HE IS LOOKING OUT FOR THE LITTLE GUY, NOT!!

Someone told me years ago when I was young and dumb....that if you listen to a dumb-ass, you are a dumb-ass. I FELL SAD FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY THINK ANY OF THESE PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON ARE ON OUR SIDE.

WAKE UP PLEASE!

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If people actually had to show proof that they need assistance and walk a mile to get it, you would probably have 1/2 the people on assistance. It shouldn't be given to anyone (with minor exceptions). You should have to show that you really, really want and need the assistance.

Why? Because I actually know of many people on assistance and the majority cheat. Buy a new TV with cash, buy food with EBT. Buy food with EBT, sell it to a neighbor for cash. Trade EBT for smokes and booze...maybe even drugs.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

WeAreAWAKE
If people actually had to show proof that they need assistance and walk a mile to get it, you would probably have 1/2 the people on assistance. It shouldn't be given to anyone (with minor exceptions). You should have to show that you really, really want and need the assistance.

Why? Because I actually know of many people on assistance and the majority cheat. Buy a new TV with cash, buy food with EBT. Buy food with EBT, sell it to a neighbor for cash. Trade EBT for smokes and booze...maybe even drugs.

I"ll go a step further and say cut SSI/SSDI for the
CHEATS ONLY and ALL the aid that goes with them.

I am absolutely SICK of generational welfare 'people'...I noticed the only ones in recent memory to 'violently" protest were those that got their funds cut short for a few hours.

How to weed out those that actually need it from those that are being a disgrace to our country?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

The roads are in disrepair because the GOP doesn’t want to spend.

The US deficit is $17.2T, and growing, and we paid over $250B in debt service payments in 2013 ($415B, all-in.) When QE ends, and interest rates rise, that number will skyrocket. A $1T per year debt service in your lifetime isn't out of the question.

Medicare has a $43T unfunded liability, and faces bankruptcy in 12-14 years. Social Security has a $23T unfunded liability.

But you think we're not spending enough.

Right now, assuming you're a taxpayer, you owe $150,000 on the debt. When can the IRS expect your check?

edit on 3-12-2013 by squittles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

EverydayInVA
What is hard to understand here? Our country has been over run by no good dirty rotten cheating thieving takers. Welfare and Food Stamps are only a small part of our problem. If anyone had the balls to actually clean up all the fraud in this country, there would be PLENTY to go around in Welfare/Food Stamps ...

There's a lot of truth in this - look at the frauds perpetrated on the IRS in EITC Fraud and fraudulent tax refundss - some estimate the losses in Medicaid to fraud and waste exceed 50% of outlays - virtually every government spending program is riddled with waste, fraud, and abuse. And of course, plenty of examples of EBT waste, like this.

We could easily afford universal health care and a comprehensive safety net for those that need it, if it weren't for the waste and fraud - but the problem is, the government sees little benefit in eliminating fraud - they spend what they spend, and if they run out of money, they just get more.

And unfortunately, many of those who get entitlements they're not "entitled" to don't see anything wrong with it - the government's handing out free money, so why shouldn't they take it?

Unfortunately, we can't change people. The only ways are to emplace stronger controls (though the current trend is the opposite) - there's no reason things like this should happen. Simple, commonsense controls over payment processing would prevent things like this, yet this has been going on for years, and every year the IG documents more.

Second, far stronger, more visible law enforcement - on the very rare occasion someone is found "cheating", they're simply removed from whatever program they were on - HCV, SNAP, disability, etc. If you prosecuted and punished them, things would change. There comes a point where, if you catch and prosecute enough, many more won't be tempted to take their chances. Example: Credit card and ID theft are absolutely rampant, because everyone knows no one ever gets prosecuted for it. Catch and prosecute 10 or 20 percent, I'll bet the rate drops by more than half.

Personally, that's why I voted for Romney - but not for the reasons most people allege (that I'm a racist, or an Angry White Male or that I see Black Helicopters at night) - but because as a businessman, he'd understand the concept of "controls." And so that maybe if the government didn't lose half the money we send them, we could afford to take care of people who really need it, without bankrupting ourselves in the process.

edit on 3-12-2013 by squittles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by palmalBlue2

I'll go this far. Police the system of "assistance" like it should be policed. You cheat...you lose assistance permanently. One strike. A cheat is a cheat and a liar is a liar. They don't change at their core. Forget the family unit when it comes to assistance...feed the children even when the parents are leeches.

We the people can't clean up our government until we clean up our own houses. And the vermin among us need to be "corrected". Imagine for a moment that we weren't takers. With no reliance on a corrupt government, we could correct it all. Hell...reward people turning in cheaters. Give them a reward to clean up our citizens. Open a non-profit giving rewards for successful "exposing" of assistance cheats. The organization would then report these people along with their proof to the correct authorities. People could donate to the cause of "cleaning up the dirtballs". Hmmm...that could almost work.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If they really wanted to decrease the number of people receiving food stamps they should pass laws protecting workers jobs so that everyone could have a job paying a living wage and buy their own food, but laws like that would probably cut into the profit margins of big companies and we can`t have companies not making record profits every year.
better to let people starve than to have some "poor" company be embarrassed by only making decent profits instead of record profits, every year.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join