It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GOP’s Hunger Games: More Food Stamp Cuts for the Holidays?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

beezzer

Willtell
reply to post by beezzer

The only thing G-damed are the souls of those who don't care for the poor.

"The camel will pass through the eye of a needle before a rich man enters paradise"

If you don't want to contribute

GO TO THE MOUNTAINS AND LIVE BY YOURSELF!

I'll contribute AFTER my family is taken care of.

Don't you get it????

No-one is going to "contribute" if their own children are hungry. YOUR government program to force contributions puts everyone at risk!

Unfortunately for some, they never feel that their family is taking care of. God knows they need to live in 10,000 square foot houses, drive $100,000 cars, and need the latest and greatest in electronics. Only then, do some of those folks decide to drop 10 bucks in the poor box. Our society has become very me oriented, and what are needs cannot be separated from the wants.

I agree that no one is going to contribute if their own children are hungry, but some, not matter what will never contribute voluntarily.

Someone stated earlier in the thread about how hard those 6 people from the Walton family had worked, my guess is, since Sam died, not a one of them have done a damn thing to earn anything.

Folks we all have needs and wants, but sometimes the wants are actually not very important.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

BubbaJoe

beezzer

Willtell
reply to post by beezzer

"The camel will pass through the eye of a needle before a rich man enters paradise"

Don't you get it????

No-one is going to "contribute" if their own children are hungry. YOUR government program to force contributions puts everyone at risk!

Unfortunately for some, they never feel that their family is taking care of. God knows they need to live in 10,000 square foot houses, drive $100,000 cars, and need the latest and greatest in electronics. Only then, do some of those folks decide to drop 10 bucks in the poor box. Our society has become very me oriented, and what are needs cannot be separated from the wants.

I agree that no one is going to contribute if their own children are hungry, but some, not matter what will never contribute voluntarily.

Someone stated earlier in the thread about how hard those 6 people from the Walton family had worked, my guess is, since Sam died, not a one of them have done a damn thing to earn anything.

Folks we all have needs and wants, but sometimes the wants are actually not very important.

They did something to earn it, why hate them for it?

Even if they were just born to it, that's the luck of the draw.

I'm not rich, and I'll never be rich I'm sure. But I'll never covet what someone else has, or blame them for my being poor.

It's all on me, it's always been on me. That's the beauty of America, you choose your life, no one else.

I know it's easier to blame others, it's easier to take the moral high ground when you have nothing, but it doesn't make it right, nor will it ever make it right.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Taissa
"Urban hunger" "Obesity, bad food choices" are not going to be solved by cutting SNAP. It is not going to force people who make bad food choices, into eating any healthier than what they do now. All it will do is continue bad food choices, just less food.

I'm a huge proponent of food stamps for those who genuinely need and do not make welfare their lifestyle. People must eat. There will always be poor people. We should not punish the poor.

We can funnel money after money into the military industrial complex, we can send money to Iran, but we can't feed our own.

I agree and that's my point. I am not for a free give-away but if people need help we must help them. So reform is the answer not shutdown. I see so many people here on this site that have the idea that since abuse exists the answer is to remove the entire program.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

terriblyvexed

BubbaJoe

beezzer

Willtell
reply to post by beezzer

Don't you get it????

They did something to earn it, why hate them for it?

Even if they were just born to it, that's the luck of the draw.

I'm not rich, and I'll never be rich I'm sure. But I'll never covet what someone else has, or blame them for my being poor.

It's all on me, it's always been on me. That's the beauty of America, you choose your life, no one else.

I know it's easier to blame others, it's easier to take the moral high ground when you have nothing, but it doesn't make it right, nor will it ever make it right.

What did they do to earn it? I never said I hated them, and I do understand the luck of the draw.

One of the interesting things about America, which I have served, is that sometimes things happen outside of your control. I don't blame anyone for the choices I have made in my life, I don't even blame those things outside of my control, for the state of my life. You have no idea of my station in life, and whether or not I am trying to take the moral high ground on anything, so lets stick to the facts that there are differences between needs and wants.

The total lack of compassion from some on this site often times leaves me shaking my head, especially when they follow it up with some Christian nonsense, apparently most who claim to be Christian have never read the Bible.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I tithe 15% of my paycheck every week to charity.

Show me a god-damned progressive that does the same!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

" One day, the government is going to run out of other peoples money. "

Precisely , and when that Day comes , there will be Hell to Pay......

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Considering the ceaseless dramatic inflation of food prices these cuts are actually far more severe than they appear. Food stamp benefits have tended to be raised from year to year to retain a fairly steady buying power to match but it slowed down and now is being cut back. I don't know how people can argue to cut this program so much while military-industrial-corporate spending and welfare dwarfs social spending by a massive order of magnitude.

The government itself has been driving and pushing very earnestly to get more and more people into the program the last couple of years. Now they start chopping away at it. Diabolical, really. It's like they listen to controversial radio talk show hosts and use their predictions as a playbook.

I feel saddest for the disabled on the lowest end of this, unable to fend for themselves and many who have no family or friends stuck living on a fixed income that doesn't even pay the rent and utilities, eating only through the food stamp program and now going into a slow starvation. It was already a pittance.

Always impressive how well divide and conquer works. The rich and powerful rob the citizenry absolutely blind and then point to the weakest, most disadvantaged and find a way to spin the story to put the blame on them so the majority of citizens attack. For it is far easier to condemn the poor, elder and disabled who are at your mercy than to take a stand against those powerful forces waging war on you.

You never want to be on the bottom of the pyramid in this power structure. If the poor, disabled and elderly are "cleansed" then who is it that will be the new expendable bottom of the stack?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

There's nothing wrong with cutting food stamps. That will empower people to actually look for jobs. There are way too many people dependent on government. Food stamps breed laziness.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

amfirst1

There's nothing wrong with cutting food stamps. That will empower people to actually look for jobs. There are way too many people dependent on government. Food stamps breed laziness.

How much will they make at that job... full time less than 10 an hour qualifies for food stamps in the strictest states. Also you are required to look for work and/or do community service if you get them.

Your frustration is misdirected and I hope people that share your opinion need foodstamps at some point. Statistics say you will.

Chew on that piece of fat, while you can afford meat.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
We can print new money for QE for banks, but we can't refill an electronic card with play money? It just seems the cutters only stand for one side. Logic should dictate how all this inequality is going to end. The power and wealth is going to get so top heavy and topple, that like the 20's and 30's everyone is going to lose.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

beezzer

There are plenty that do so, but you're so caught up in your petulant ideology and the left/right paradigm that you can't be bothered to see that there people who willingly give the same that you do.
edit on 29-11-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

amfirst1

And what do you say to the people that work every day but still qualify for food stamps, and need them to feed their families? Are they lazy too?

The ignorance of those who want to toss their fellow working americans in the trash is astounding. I'm embarrassed to call some of you countrymen.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Any one who is upset with social welfare benefits should be outraged by corporate welfare. One-and-a-half times more money is spent on corporate welfare than social, that's $92 billion vs. $58 billion.. But, but, those companies need that money to stay running? Yeah, and poor, hungry children and the elderly needs some #ing food now and then too.

Who is more deserving of benefits: Boeing, Xerox or IBM, or the folks who need a hand-up? Corporate America needs to tighten the belt FIRST!
edit on 29-11-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Sick of that stupid juvenile statement. The government can print new money. Why should just bankers and shareholders get it. The poor just want food.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

supremecommander

beezzer

There are plenty that do so, but you're so caught up in your petulant ideology and the left/right paradigm that you can't be bothered to see that there people who willingly give the same that you do.

lolz

I despise the progressives in both parties. My only ideology is for small government. If that pits me against a certain political affiliation, then so be it.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by Carreau

This is utter nonsense.

We live in a society with a great degree of interdependence.
The business man hires workers the society educated so he can get adequate professional expertise in running his business endeavor.

Society educated? Not so. Those 'professionals' individually paid for their education.

He doesn’t hire humans out of thin air. They are created and maintained by the interdependent society that makes people put their children in school BY LAW!

And what of those that are home-schooled, who, by and large, maintain better test scores than those that 'society' educates.

This interconnecting societal system often, because of ordinary human frailty (a bad alcoholic abusive parent for example) has flaws that produce inadequate environments for many, such as poverty and psychological ailments that the society itself must deal with humanely.
This affects us all.

If in your community there are parents who raise criminals because the society doesn’t have means to deal with social ailments, then that is the person who will burglarize your home, or steal the hub caps off your Cadillac, or worst break into your school and shoot your children.

Society has been throwing money at these 'social ailments' for decades. Yet more and more criminals have been coming from environments over these years. Do you think even more money is the answer?

If we don’t take care of the poor and those that the mechanism of society leaves bereft of care then it will come back to affect you in some way negatively whether you like it or not.

So ultimately being humane is about self interest.

Churches have been running food pantries for years. They've always been 'humane'. Yet even they are robbed from by the people that you seem to cry over. boston.cbslocal.com... www.kshb.com... www.winknews.com... These are just a few examples. And I might add, it is likely that the majority of those that helped restock these pantries were/are Republicans. The same GOP members that this thread vilifies. Just giving something for nothing is not the answer. Causing them to realize they need to do something, like work, for what they get is a much more preferable method. Would you be agreeable to having people on the public dole get out of the house and clean up their neighborhood for that public assistance? Have them go out and clean public parks? Public roadways? People need to understand self-reliance. That will help build self-respect. Without self-respect, people will NEVER have respect for others.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

Both are robberies. The New Bedford residents stepped up to the plate and helped restock. So your assumption is: all poor = thieves. Then, the other side of the equation is all thieves = poor. Really?

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What is hard to understand here? Our country has been over run by no good dirty rotten cheating thieving takers. Welfare and Food Stamps are only a small part of our problem. If anyone had the balls to actually clean up all the fraud in this country, there would be PLENTY to go around in Welfare/Food Stamps, all of our car insurance would decrease in pricing, all of our Medical Insurance would decrease in pricing, along with who knows how many other things. People just don't care about what's right and wrong, it's all just about what I can get for ME ME ME. I talk to people about it daily, some are proud of how well they've been able to "work the system" it's sickness. My friend down the street can't feed his kids, but I REALLY NEED THAT NEW BIG SCREEN!

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

beezzer

Every single one I know. I mean like every little single one I ever had contact with and knew their political leanings, every one even those with medical issues that aren't supposed to work don't have money to give but volunteer all their time to helping others in the Vet's homes or homeless shelters or churches. Every last one.
edit on 30-11-2013 by ldyserenity because: listed one twice

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Personally, if we'd adopt my plan, we wouldn't have any of these problems. Simply grind the poor into a nutritious feed for our livestock.

But seriously dude, take your bleeding heart elsewhere. No matter how much power the Left has in this country, there's always useful idiots like you to ignore their misdeeds and blame it on the other side.

Unthinking morons like you are what got us into the mess we're in and on a personal level, unthinking morons like you make me sick to my stomach.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join