Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The GOP’s Hunger Games: More Food Stamp Cuts for the Holidays?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Here we go again. The anti-human GOP seeks to starve more Americans, Veterans, old folks, and children.

www.thedailybeast.com...=/articles/2013/11/28/the-gop-s- hunger-games-more-food-stamp-cuts-for-the-holidays.html

Republican lawmakers are on the defensive as the country heads into the holiday season, with cutbacks in food stamps stressing needy families while Congress debates how much more to cut from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). “Which of your constituents do you think should go hungry?” asks a holiday card electronically delivered to members of Congress this week. It points out that the proposed cuts mean “less food and more hunger for millions of low income seniors, veterans, working families with children and disabled Americans.”

Its amazing this crazy country gives such power to greedy and selfish antihuman people to rule their lives.

TeAt the same time, assistance to farmers, traditionally coupled in the same bill with SNAP, appears to be weathering the GOP’s budget-cutting knife just fine. “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat,” said Rep. Stephen Fincher (R-TN), invoking the Bible to explain his vote earlier this year to cut food stamps while calling for increased crop subsidies for farmers. His family farm received more than $3.5 million in federal money over the years, making him the poster boy for 33 members of Congress who voted to cut food stamps, a program that helps the least among us, while having no qualms about accepting federal largesse for their farm businesses.xt

They take from the poor and give to the rich

Twenty percent of Fincher’s constituents are on the SNAP program, says Jim Weill, president of Food Research and Action Center, which launched the website with the holiday greeting designed to trigger guilt over who is left behind during these days of plenty. Weill recalls the language of his college days to explain the easy passage of farm subsidies and the mounting resistance to SNAP. The farm part of the bill is “distributional,” he says; food stamps are “re-distributional,” a concept that is toxic in American politics.

This is an abomination and pure evil

These people will spend trillions on missiles and super war planes and starve human beings.

I AM ASHAMED OF BEING AN AMERICAN!

I am a non partisan issues person. I will vote out any politician who is responsible for this antihuman demonic policy.

Republicans who rail against big government have SNAP in their target sights because of the program’s growth in just the last few years. In 2006, 25 million people were on food stamps, and at the end of last year, the number was 47 million; now it’s 48 million, almost a doubling in seven years. Republicans see those numbers and assume there must be waste, fraud, and abuse. Democrats attribute the growth to the weak economy and more people needing assistance. One in four are not in the program even though they’re qualified.

When are Americans going to get a soul and see who their enemy really is? Its people who are against the poor and middle class AND always VOTE TO ENHANCE THE COMFORT OF THE RICH AND POWERFUL.

For now, though, as lawmakers sift through the numbers and the partisan disagreements, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has taken matters into his own hands to announce $4.5 million in emergency food assistance grants to help food banks, churches, and charities cope with the spike in need prompted by the reduction in SNAP benefits. For those on the front lines working with people in need, the notion that more cuts could be coming seems incomprehensible. “It’s outrageous they’re still considering $4 to $8 to $10 billion cuts in the conference committee,” says Weill. “That will create real hardship.” And more cuts could create real political problems for Republicans if they head home for the holidays without passing a farm bill, or worse, pass one that worsens the food insecurity of millions.

God bless Governor Coumo. At least he is trying to help those less fortunate. This is what government of the people is all about.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE! THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE HUMANE POLICIES

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Cme on now, we all know people on social assistance are just going to use that to buy drugs, guns and lottery tickets.

(sarcasm Emoji)

Long live the GOP and the war on the poor!

~Tenth

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Democrats hold the majority in government and have for the last 4 years. Obama is responsible for the first cut....

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Food Stamp recipient Number 1

Food Stamp recipient Number 2

So there is no fraud or abuse of the system, just poor starving people that are going to die because of republicans, really?

The US has more people on food stamps than the entire population of Spain.

BTW what did humans do BEFORE food stamps and welfare, how did our species ever get this far without them?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Like minimum wage food stamps shouldn't make you lazy. Cut till it hurts then see what happens. Those of us that work are really getting tired of those that dont

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Cme on now, we all know people on social assistance are just going to use that to buy drugs, guns and lottery tickets.

Not to mention being forced to live on steak and lobster.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

The US has more people on food stamps than the entire population of Spain.

Yes we do and a good bit of them are working the reason why they get food stamps is because the job doesn't pay them enough to live on.

BTW what did humans do BEFORE food stamps and welfare, how did our species ever get this far without them?

We actually had enough jobs to go around and when we didn't the government started jobs programs. Now thanks to the screw America we want more profit mentality of people they moved jobs overseas when there really was no reason to do so.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It's really Bush's fault OP...But I guess you can throw in the whole GOP !

False left-right paradigm much?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The point is that humans are suppose to be advancing with modernity not regressing to the 19th century when children worked 16 hours a day and people lived no more than to 40 and died from preventable diseases.

With the GOP advance and the austerity world doctrine happening in Europe we are going backwards.

That is a conspiracy of a few super wealthy people who want to suppress the middle class and suppress human progress.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Everything about the welfare state is summed up very nicely here.

Masking Totalitarianism

November 28, 2013 The New American by Walter E. Williams

One of the oldest notions in the history of mankind is that some people are to give orders and others are to obey. The powerful elite believe that they have wisdom superior to the masses and that they’ve been ordained to forcibly impose that wisdom on the rest of us. Their agenda calls for an attack on the free market and what it implies — voluntary exchange. Tyrants do not trust that people acting voluntarily will do what the tyrant thinks they should do. Therefore, free markets are replaced with economic planning and regulation that is nothing less than the forcible superseding of other people’s plans by the powerful elite.

Because Americans still retain a large measure of liberty, tyrants must mask their agenda. At the university level, some professors give tyranny an intellectual quality by preaching that negative freedom is not enough. There must be positive liberty or freedoms. This idea is widespread in academia, but its most recent incarnation was a discussion by Wake Forest University professor David Coates in a Huffington Post article, titled “Negative Freedom or Positive Freedom: Time to Choose?”

~~~~

Positive rights is a view that people should have certain material things — such as medical care, decent housing and food — whether they can pay for them or not. Seeing as there is no Santa Claus or tooth fairy, those “rights” do impose obligations upon others. If one person has a right to something he did not earn, of necessity it requires that another person not have a right to something he did earn. If we were to apply this bogus concept of positive rights to free speech and the right to travel freely, my free speech rights would impose financial obligations on others to supply me with an auditorium, microphone and audience. My right to travel would burden others with the obligation to purchase airplane tickets and hotel accommodations for me. Most Americans, I would imagine, would tell me, “Williams, yes, you have the right to free speech and travel rights, but I’m not obligated to pay for them!”

Source
edit on 28-11-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)
edit on Thu Nov 28 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: TRIMMED QUOTE IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yeah, this is a hard one for me. On the one hand, I know that there is a lot of garbage and fraud going in the foodstamp program.

On the other hand, I know that there are people that work their tails off and still need help.

I also know that the quality and quantity of jobs in the U.S. is diminishing, has been going down for years, and will continue to go down the tubes for a long to come.

But, really, people were having a fit last time and folks only lost 20 bucks out of like 600 dollars. That's just not that much. I confess that I am starting to get a bit concerned. I mean, after all, if they keep doing this, then it'll eventually add up to something pretty significant that will actually legitimately hurt people, but I'm not there quite yet.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The number of people on food stamps has nearly doubled under the Obama administration, and no-one bats an eye. But look at cuts and everyone wee's themselves.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

This is utter nonsense.

We live in a society with a great degree of interdependence.
The business man hires workers the society educated so he can get adequate professional expertise in running his business endeavor.

He doesn’t hire humans out of thin air. They are created and maintained by the interdependent society that makes people put their children in school BY LAW!

This interconnecting societal system often, because of ordinary human frailty (a bad alcoholic abusive parent for example) has flaws that produce inadequate environments for many, such as poverty and psychological ailments that the society itself must deal with humanely.
This affects us all.

If in your community there are parents who raise criminals because the society doesn’t have means to deal with social ailments, then that is the person who will burglarize your home, or steal the hub caps off your Cadillac, or worst break into your school and shoot your children.

If we don’t take care of the poor and those that the mechanism of society leaves bereft of care then it will come back to affect you in some way negatively whether you like it or not.

So ultimately being humane is about self interest.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by Carreau

This is utter nonsense.

We live in a society with a great degree of interdependence.
The business man hires workers the society educated so he can get adequate professional expertise in running his business endeavor.

He doesn’t hire humans out of thin air. They are created and maintained by the interdependent society that makes people put their children in school BY LAW!

Taking care of the poor is what charity is for. And it should be voluntary not forced by government. THAT is utter nonsense.
edit on Thu Nov 28 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I know where you are coming from op, some people think it is ok for 6 people that own Walmart to have more wealth than 140 million Americans. Wait and see what happens when those 140 million people get pushed far enough, they won't be able to build ivory towers tall enough.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Willtell

If we don’t take care of the poor and those that the mechanism of society leaves bereft of care then it will come back to affect you in some way negatively whether you like it or not.

So ultimately being humane is about self interest.

If I was an average American who was facing rising insurance costs due to Obamacare, a weak economy due to Obama policies, I would look to my family first.

I can't see myself taking care of anyone else if my own child is going hungry based on what this administration is doing.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The interdependence of our system (business/employment/government/education/ people) allows that when and if the system doesn’t provide adequately for the populace in terms of the economic and business interdependent environment where the wages are too low and the jobs are scant, then the government should step in until the economic environment stabilizes.

If the politicians are thinking on a level where they don’t trust the people and want to initiate austerity programs when the people don’t have adequate jobs available because of the economic macro system, then the politicians are not serving the people.

They are serving out of date political dogma and the interests of the wealthy

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Here you are espousing political dogma in the face of human suffering.

I could as well blame the economy on the GOP ruled congress that doesn’t want to have a jobs policy.

Want to cut, cut, and cut when NEVER in history has an economy grown through austerity cuts.

Europe now is failing because of that same austerity principle.

Go to Greece, France, England, and Portugal and see the people suffering

edit on 28-11-2013 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm poor just missed a month of work thanks to government decrees in health care! (read my rant for info) and I'm republican.

Don't forget despite what Democrats would have you believe republicans are why you can enjoy all your little take care of the little guy rants.

I'm betting you don't even know what party Lincoln was. Or witch party introduced welfare.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Europe now is failing because of that same austerity principle.

That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile. Those countries were failing before the cuts because they spent more than they took in and the cuts were a last resort. Anyone with the most basic of understanding of math would know that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join